Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I purchased Redding die set a number of years ago for .308 Winchester. It has full length die and bullet seating die. The die box says .308 winchester .307 winchester on it.

The rifle die set is for a pump rifle my dad had and is seldom used. So this is first time using the die since purchasing a few years ago. I have set up many Redding dies before.

So I set the full length die so that it is just touching the shell holder. However, when I resize the case, the neck is not resizing and not touching the neck expander on the up stroke. I can take a bullet and freely run it in and out of the resized casing.

Do I have an improperly sized die or am I missing something? Questioning if I'm loosing my mind.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It sounds like the die is suspect. Maybe a .338 Federal or .358 die got put in your box by mistake.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Yup, defective die. Did they send you a bushing die (with no bushing) by mistake?

Also, adjusting the die to fit brass to your rifle is much better than just running it down to the shellholder, and it's not difficult to do.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Yondering

Also, adjusting the die to fit brass to your rifle is much better than just running it down to the shellholder, and it's not difficult to do.

this method is fine for bolt action rifles as they have the camming action to close the bolt. I seen many pumps. lever, and semi auto actions jam using this method, you better off using small base dies for these actions. If you size this way for those actions you may get away for it for awhile but it will bite you in the azz down the road. Set your dies up as the manufacturer suggest. What are the markings on the die itself, if you have cerrosafe you can do a chamber cast but make sure you use molding clay in the threaded area where the recapping stem threads into the die or you will not be able to get the casting out.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It has to be the wrong die, I have a set of 308 small base dies I would let you have cheap if you want them. I bought them for an auto rifle I no longer own.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You might send them to Redding, they might send you a new set. RCBS probably would if it was their die.

Last edited by hanco; 03/18/18.
A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Well the good news. I'm not loosing my mind. lol. I will give RCBS a call on Monday. Hopefully they'll send me a new resizing die. I hope they just take my word for it but my guess is they will want the bad die. I don't mind sending it to them if they pay for it. I'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Adams
I purchased Redding die set a number of years ago for .308 Winchester. It has full length die and bullet seating die. The die box says .308 winchester .307 winchester on it.

The rifle die set is for a pump rifle my dad had and is seldom used. So this is first time using the die since purchasing a few years ago. I have set up many Redding dies before.

So I set the full length die so that it is just touching the shell holder. However, when I resize the case, the neck is not resizing and not touching the neck expander on the up stroke. I can take a bullet and freely run it in and out of the resized casing.

Do I have an improperly sized die or am I missing something? Questioning if I'm loosing my mind.

What make of brass are you using?

What is the OD of the expander ball?

What is the OD of the neck of the brass after sizing?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

ARE THEY REDDING BUSHING DIES? Redding does not send the neck sizing bushing part with the die but you have to purchase the bushings separately. Been there done that.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well the good news. I'm not loosing my mind. lol. I will give RCBS a call on Monday. Hopefully they'll send me a new resizing die. I hope they just take my word for it but my guess is they will want the bad die. I don't mind sending it to them if they pay for it. I'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

I think you may have loosed your mind. Calling RCBS about Redding dies will likely get you nowhere. grin

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

[/quote]
I think you may have loosed your mind. Calling RCBS about Redding dies will likely get you nowhere. grin[/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Thanks for the replies.

I think you may have loosed your mind. Calling RCBS about Redding dies will likely get you nowhere. grin

That's just how good RCBS customer service is.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by gemby58

I think you may have loosed your mind. Calling RCBS about Redding dies will likely get you nowhere. grin[/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing
[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out. There's always someone on this site to point me in the right direction. Boy wouldn't I have looked stupid calling RCBS. Or maybe is was just a slip.

Also why don't you learn how to use the quote reply.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks also Wttail for your helpful comments don't know what I'd do without guys like you.

Did either of you have any further help on the situation? Or is that all you got?

A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by mathman

What make of brass are you using?

What is the OD of the expander ball?

What is the OD of the neck of the brass after sizing?

I'm using Winchester brass. OD of expander = .306.5 OD of neck is .332 ID of neck = .306 depending on where one measures

The unfired new Winchester brass OD of neck .330 ID of neck = .303 depending on where one measures

I checked 5 different bullets weights from two different manufactures and all of them just fall into the resized case.

A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Trystan

ARE THEY REDDING BUSHING DIES? Redding does not send the neck sizing bushing part with the die but you have to purchase the bushings separately. Been there done that.

Trystan

No. I have two sets. One for my xbolt and one for the pump rifle.

Attached Images
img_0418.jpg (24.28 KB, 36 downloads)
img_0419.jpg (26.7 KB, 29 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using Winchester brass. OD of expander = .306.5 OD of neck is .332 ID of neck = .306 depending on where one measures

The unfired new Winchester brass OD of neck .330 ID of neck = .303 depending on where one measures

I checked 5 different bullets weights from two different manufactures and all of them just fall into the resized case.

Am I reading that right that a 0.308" bullet is falling into a 0.306" hole?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What caliber bullets are you loading?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A

All my .308 bullets Hornady and Nolslers vary from .306.5 to .307. Maybe my micrometer is off .001. But it's all relative. I'd be curious to find out if my micrometer is off .001?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For what it's worth, I just tried pushing a .243" bullet into a .241" neck with my fingers, and couldn't. I don't want to go back and read everything again, so will ask. Are both sizing dies giving you the same results?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

All my .308 bullets Hornady and Nolslers vary from .306.5 to .307. Maybe my micrometer is off .001. But it's all relative. I'd be curious to find out if my micrometer is off .001?

Ya think?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.