Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Years ago I and friends went to Wyoming to do herd control by hunting doe and fawn ....both pronghorns and mule deer. It was purely a meat hunt and we purchased licenses for $25 each and was allowed five deer and five pronghorn licenses per hunter. There was no problem whatever finding targets and ranchers were happy to allow permission to hunt as they wanted the game herds cut down quite a bit.

Is Wyoming still doing this or anything similar to this today.....it was a very good time as we camped on the ranches and boned out meat every day and took a lot of venison home to make sausages.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wyomings mule deer numbers over all are down, especially in the western half of the state. If they are smart, they won't be killing any does. You could look for whitetail though. Here in western Montana,you can buy multiple doe tags.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The last time I hunted pronghorns in WY was 3 years ago. You could still buy 5 doe antelope tags and they cost $60/each. The landowner where we hunted charged two cases of Corona to hunt does on his ranch.

Don't know about mulies.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I think Wyoming has doe antelope tags for $34 this year, looking at maybe going for a couple days on a leftover OTC tag. I believe mule deer has them too but they seem a little harder to get.

Last edited by JJWise; 03/11/18.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yes. Still a practice here. Send in with the draw, or wait for the leftovers.
If you want a special area, you might consider the first draw. Usually there are leftover doe tags. First come first serve after the second draw.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You can apply for up to 3 antelope licenses in the first draw, 1 any antelope and 2 doe/fawn tags.
Leftover drawing will be in June for any leftover tags and then you can apply for another any antelope tag and 2 more doe/fawn tags.
Doe/fawn mule deer tags are pout there but valid on private land and most landowners do not allow mule deer doe hunting.Whitetail doe tags can be had for some areas and landowners are usually willing to allow their hunting.
All doe/fawn tags are reduced price tags.
With the price increase this year I would bet most of the doe tags will go in the first draw.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
yes on the left over goat doe tags....no on the mule deer doe tags. There are very few areas that have doe mule deer tag. Whitetail doe is a different story. unlimited in areas.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You may be thinking of a depredation hunt, those are held on occasion when specific landowners have problems. You would need to inquire at the Regional office in that area to see if any are scheduled but that would be late season usually.
Yes there are unlimited whitetail doe /fawn tags in some areas for private land. Whitetail doe access is much easier to get from ranchers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.