Print Thread
Hop To
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
The story about the connection between mental welfare when many people make things with thier hands?

Fasinating It spoke very true to me
Those who I know that create anything and the happiest

Also they studied rats who didnt have to hunt for food the scientist actually called the "welfare rats" They were no as well as those who had to hunt for food

That 8 minutes could spur hours of debate very interesting for sure. Things that the average fire member already believes

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 03/18/18.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lol, welfare rats. That will be called racist.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
So the welfare rats were unhappy cause they wanted more and more free
Chyt and they became dependant on handouts?
Groid rats..
And they breed litters of more generations of welfare rats.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They have no self esteem, no way a person can be truly happy being a lay about.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just saw it. (We're an hour behind here in the Forgotten Time Zone). Very interesting. It instantly occurred to me that those of us who love to reload ammo, tie flies, build rods, do some gunsmithing, or just shoot, fish, or golf are "manucentric" to coin a term. We are centered on our hands to do things.

And that, according to CBS, make us more mentally stable and accomplished. Nice of them to finally admit that, huh?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As our economy changes and technologies require higher learning skills to garner high paying jobs, the lower IQ individuals will fall further and further behind, costing all of us more over the long run, this is a no win situation.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I try to watch CBS Sunday Morning every week. The scientist also called the lazy rats "Trust Fund Rats"
k2nd

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't watch anything by the Propaganda Corps.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
Groid rats..

Nailed it...

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by renegade50
Groid rats..

I use a .22 and a flashlight and kill the rats at night. It keeps their population under control and it provides a few laughs for me....it’s a stress reliever in a way.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by boatboy
Also they studied rats who didnt have to hunt for food the scientist actually called the "welfare rats" They were no as well as those who had to hunt for food

That 8 minutes could spur hours of debate very interesting for sure. Things that the average fire member already believes

Hank

I don't suppose those were white rats, but could be.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have long thought, having spent many years in a small community, where houses are very small and crowded and people complain of boredom, that a huge missing detail is 'the basement' we used as kids to "experiment, create, and make stuff". There is a certain satisfaction in making stuff that can't be found in any other way, fixing somewhat complex or challenging things coming close.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark, it would be interesting to see a study that compares the mental health of those who keep the traditional crafts alive vs. those who don't.

I know for me I can tell the difference between when I'm able to do my hands on hobbies and not on my attitude.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Every community needs a shop with an old guy who fixes bikes and lawn mowers and Detroit diesels and doesn't mind having a couple of pesky kids hanging around.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear
[Linked Image]

Now that's truly F...ing Funny

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Mark, it would be interesting to see a study that compares the mental health of those who keep the traditional crafts alive vs. those who don't.

I know for me I can tell the difference between when I'm able to do my hands on hobbies and not on my attitude.

Years ago we experienced a rash of teen and young adult suicides. I recall one evening, shortly after a young gal had tried unsuccessfully, I took a boat ride to a coastal river 30 miles distant...alone .... to clear my head and whatever one does when things get crazy. Twas a beautiful afternoon, and the fishing later was fine...plenty or bright chums and silvers hitting. But that was the frosting on an idea that popped into my head on the 1 1/2 hour boat ride. An idea came to me that I could build a small workshop/garage where people could work on stuff; kind of a modern equivalent of the old Qasgiq...men's house, where hunting equipment was worked on. I've seen too many machines: hondas and snow machines essentially abandoned before their time for lack of proper work places. That or you see the most persevering, bent over a honda, engine cover removed, often in the driving wet of autumn, or pulling an undercarriage or engine from a sno-go in skin-searing cold winds. And too many young punks simply don't get their 'foot in the door' and become productive for lack of a machine that they could be bringing meat to the table and wood for the stoves of household and relatives. A place to work, a couple of BYO gallons of stove oil for the Laser/Monitor, and it could have been 'fat city' for young men anyway. I wrote a proposal and sent it to the mayor: I'd buy materials and use the project as a learning opportunity for the teenagers on my time...in exchange for a city lot (which they normally just give to people whom they approve of.) They turned me down. Small town politics I'm sure. Lots of good ideas fail for that reason.

I am still convinced that Alaska's villages would benefit more from more Qasgiq-type spaces - men's and women's versions, than from more bingo halls and basketball gyms. I have no more fingers and toes for counting the "mental health" tragedies I've seen. Mine are plumb used up.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Years ago we experienced a rash of teen and young adult suicides. I recall one evening, shortly after a young gal had tried unsuccessfully, I took a boat ride to a coastal river 30 miles distant...alone .... to clear my head and whatever one does when things get crazy. Twas a beautiful afternoon, and the fishing later was fine...plenty or bright chums and silvers hitting. But that was the frosting on an idea that popped into my head on the 1 1/2 hour boat ride. An idea came to me that I could build a small workshop/garage where people could work on stuff; kind of a modern equivalent of the old Qasgiq...men's house, where hunting equipment was worked on. I've seen too many machines: hondas and snow machines essentially abandoned before their time for lack of proper work places. That or you see the most persevering, bent over a honda, engine cover removed, often in the driving wet of autumn, or pulling an undercarriage or engine from a sno-go in skin-searing cold winds. And too many young punks simply don't get their 'foot in the door' and become productive for lack of a machine that they could be bringing meat to the table and wood for the stoves of household and relatives. A place to work, a couple of BYO gallons of stove oil for the Laser/Monitor, and it could have been 'fat city' for young men anyway. I wrote a proposal and sent it to the mayor: I'd buy materials and use the project as a learning opportunity for the teenagers on my time...in exchange for a city lot (which they normally just give to people whom they approve of.) They turned me down. Small town politics I'm sure. Lots of good ideas fail for that reason.

I am still convinced that Alaska's villages would benefit more from more Qasgiq-type spaces - men's and women's versions, than from more bingo halls and basketball gyms. I have no more fingers and toes for counting the "mental health" tragedies I've seen. Mine are plumb used up.

So true 458 Lott !

Klikitarik ,That's a great idea you came up with too bad it wasn't excepted by the town dummies . Not a whole lot of satisfaction in throwing a ball through a ring once you've done it a few hundred times .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
300 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.