Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Who is Saint Patrick, and did he drive the snakes out of Ireland?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes and then the snakes moved to America and they became your politicians.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, he drove out the Norwegians. They had settled down from raiding and pillaging and stayed on in Ireland. Eventually it came to pass that they were creating a shortage in the potato supply, what with potato pancakes and lefse. Annoyed at this, the indigenous population came to St. Pat for assistance. He called all of the Norwegians together and said to them, "All you Norwegian people, you go to hell!" So they packed up and moved to North Dakota.

Disclaimer: my wife is from North Dakota and has many relatives there. I think that they are a fine people who have a sense of humor. I also think that it a wonderful area.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
You never cease to amaze me John.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife says the same thing. Of course, she sighs and shakes her head when she says it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Actually, he drove out the Norwegians. They had settled down from raiding and pillaging and stayed on in Ireland. Eventually it came to pass that they were creating a shortage in the potato supply, what with potato pancakes and lefse. Annoyed at this, the indigenous population came to St. Pat for assistance. He called all of the Norwegians together and said to them, "All you Norwegian people, you go to hell!" So they packed up and moved to North Dakota.

Disclaimer: my wife is from North Dakota and has many relatives there. I think that they are a fine people who have a sense of humor. I also think that it a wonderful area.

Ha!! Very funny! My grandmother never told me that she spent time in Ireland.

Last edited by Slope77; 03/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad

That is just too freekin funny!

*tears rolling down my cheeks*

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They figure there never was snakes in Ireland, IIRC the Irish Sea is deeper than the English Channel so whereas a snake could crawl from France to England when sea levels were lower than they are today, there never was an opportunity for snakes to crawl to Ireland as the ice sheets retreated.

What Saint Patrick didn't like was birds, starting with woodpeckers, but a general decline in religious values has allowed woodpeckers back in...

https://www.irelandswildlife.com/great-spotted-woodpecker-ireland/

You wouldn’t think a narrow strip of water like the Irish sea could present much of a barrier to birds, but relatively sedentary species like the tawny owl, willow tit, marsh tit, nuthatch and others are notably absent. Perhaps the most curious gap in Ireland’s avifauna though, until recently at least, was the complete absence of woodpeckers.

....prob'ly tits are next.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like KFC taters and gravy. That make me Irish ?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, just fat.

wink

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
No, just fat.

wink

Thumbs down sign.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry. Couldn't just walk past that open door.

smile

Don't be the darkness.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
ST.Patrick when he first came to Ireland was a slave in Ireland and was English not Irish, he worked his way up after many years to become free and loved Ireland so much stayed and he became known as ST. Patrick. there is a long story about ST.Patrick and very interesting too. anyway HAPPY ST.PATRICK DAY !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
St Patrick was taken as a slave by Irish raiders but later returned as a priest to bring Christianity to the pagan Irish. The "snakes" he cast out of Ireland was actually the pagan beliefs of the Druids. It is said the shamrock was used to explain the Holy Trinity. That is at odds to other stories I have heard utilizing the pagan sign of a circle made of the thumb and forefinger. Maybe the one was used in one part and the other in the rest as St Patrick seemed to spend most of his time in the north.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yea the old catholic church put a little positive PR spin on that tale. Considering there are NO native species of snakes in Ireland.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I am sure if they drink enough booze, they see snakes. LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
I am sure if they drink enough booze, they see snakes. LOL

I don't think the Irish are the only ones that do that.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Why?, do I feel like Edgar Bergan, to 5sdad's Charlie McCarthy? I should learn,--------------someday.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.