Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Arthur Savage detested the Winchester company?

Let's just say they had issues at the 1896 New York National Guard trials.. It didn't come to blows, but sounded close.

Sept. 1896...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They claim they have evidence to show that favoritism was exercised in the test which led to it's selection.

Like what? I wonder what they could do with the Savage that they couldn't do with the others and how that was somehow favoritism. The use of pointy bullets maybe?

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage was the only company from New York. They accused the state of loading the panel with people who favored Savage, and even of tailoring the requrements to the exact specs of the 1895.

So, yes.. Winchester and others sued to stop New York from buying the guns and it was a scandal. New York didn't buy the guns, though can't be sure it would have even if the companies hadn't sued.

But during the trials, I believe the Winchester rep grabbed the Savage rifle and slammed a cartridge into the breech attempting to show how easy it could jam. Arthur Savage in return picked up one of the Winchester 1895 trial rifles and shoved a cartridge in it so hard that it took a long time with tools to get it unjammed. People separated them to keep it from escalating.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Savage was the only company from New York. They accused the state of loading the panel with people who favored Savage, and even of tailoring the requrements to the exact specs of the 1895.

So, yes.. Winchester and others sued to stop New York from buying the guns and it was a scandal. New York didn't buy the guns, though can't be sure it would have even if the companies hadn't sued.

But during the trials, I believe the Winchester rep grabbed the Savage rifle and slammed a cartridge into the breech attempting to show how easy it could jam. Arthur Savage in return picked up one of the Winchester 1895 trial rifles and shoved a cartridge in it so hard that it took a long time with tools to get it unjammed. People separated them to keep it from escalating.

That's interesting.

So the panel was from New York, the Savage company was from New York, and because they wanted to keep the business at home and actually help New York, where they are from, the whiners cried foul.

I think they call that buying local nowadays! Last I knew it was encouraged!

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The long and short of it was the New York National Guard got leftover single shot black powder Springfields free from the U.S. Government and got their butts handed to them in Cuba when they went up against the Spanish who were armed with Mauser repeaters shooting smokeless powder. Might we say Winchester's whining cost the lives of some Americans? David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyo1895
The long and short of it was the New York National Guard got leftover single shot black powder Springfields free from the U.S. Government and got their butts handed to them in Cuba when they went up against the Spanish who were armed with Mauser repeaters shooting smokeless powder. Might we say Winchester's whining cost the lives of some Americans? David

There was a movie about that battle. Don't remember the name of it now.

That's a very sad story.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wyo1895

Winchester and others, they weren't the only ones who sued.

Just think of what the market would be like now if they'd sold 20,000 muskets and SRC's to the NY Guard. Muskets for everybody!! crazy

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Muskets? We don't need no steenking muskets!

However, I would like one of those SRC's.

An armed society is a polite society.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'm with you on that point. wink

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 74 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.