Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BWalker
Why post this months after the hunt? Just curious.

A wise man tries to calm down, and not make a huge deal out of the experience, after getting hosed. And, Jack Sr. made that company a reputable service. I have a hand signed book from him that I treasure. But, after trying to give them a second chance to see if the first was a fluke, and getting lied to again...I see a pattern. And thought I would pass on a warning. Nothing more. Live and learn.

More details would do no one any good, as I'm not looking for any resolution. I just won't spend anymore of my hard earned money with a dishonest company. We've all heard it dozens of times...a father builds a business up to a great company, with an excellent reputation, and when the kids take over...they drive it into the ground.

I have had some excellent outfitted hunts in recent years. This one, and the recent one that almost happened, were not as represented. That's my [calm] wording. Most of all, the way Keith Atcheson replied to my concerns, really set me off. A little, disrespectful POS.

I, too, hope this isn't a sign of things to come, with this company. And Scott, thank you for the kind words.

Last edited by yukonal; 03/23/18.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by yukonal
I recently had a disappointing elk hunt, booked thru them. They lied about the guide/outfitter, misrepresented how the horseback hunt would be conducted, and then have not followed through on how a future hunt would be arranged.

When I finally contacted Keith today, he was belligerent, and rude in his response to me concerning the way I've been treated. Jack Sr would rip Keith a new one, if he were still around.

Heads up for any of you considering booking thru them. There is a good chance it would not play out as described by them.

I am in the opposite camp.....i booked a sheep, bear, moose hunt in the brooks range a few years ago.......i wanted horseback, .....they recommend an outfitter. great hunt.......every thing that the atcheson's told me is what happened.....they delivered.

i went on to do 2 more hunts with the outfitter , that they recommended. .......also i had put down a good sized deposit on a african hunt with them..( 10,000.00)......at the same time i had another deposit with a different booking agent.

the economy went to $hit, and i had to cancel......i gave both booking agents ample notice......the atcheson's, promptly refunded me and said they understood.......the other agent basically told me to pound sand...lost 5,000.00.

I would use them again in a heartbeat.....I will recommend them to anyone......bob

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Well, these sorts of posts are generally a guy signing up (joining here) for the sole purpose of bagging on an outfitter.

I haven't seen Al around here much lately but I know him well enough (here and outside the campfire) that if he tells me it's raining, I'm packing a raincoat.

Yep. Al is top notch.

Camp is where you make it.
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
I haven't seen Al around here much lately but I know him well enough (here and outside the campfire) that if he tells me it's raining, I'm packing a raincoat.

Oh, and I've been around...just in a lurker capacity.

And T...thank you as well.

Last edited by yukonal; 03/23/18.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
What is a booking agent?

Someone that handles the advertising and arranging the dates of your hunt. They may have more than one property at their disposal. Their sole purpose is to fill all the available hunt dates per property. Usually employed by ranches to do the scheduling,freeing up the land owners time to tend to his own business. All for a fee. In my case he was smooth. Like silk. And lied like there was no tomorrow.

Our party were promised use of showers,and access to the whole 10,000 acre ranch. It came to pass that we weren't allowed to use the showers,and were barred from all the good roost timber on the ranch. We were Turkey hunting. The caretaker of the ranch said that particular pasture was reserved for some guys from General Motors, who entertain business guests there. So,we drove on down to Sonora and showered at a motel. We sat in camp not 200 yards from pasture 2B, and listened to Turkey on the roost in the evenings. I did shoot one Rio. At distance with a rifle I'd brought for hog hunting. It was the only bird taken that week between 3 camps of hunters. One fella across the road from us, was there for the last bird of his grand slam. He was praying for our booking agent to pop in for a visit. Don't think he wanted to talk much though. Lesson learned.

Thanks. I can see the need but it does seem like an industry set up to attract failures.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Note PM, when Time allows...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hmm, sounds like Al is a reliable source.

But it still makes more sense to disclose the issue, as to some the issue may be a NON issue, to others it may well matter.

YMMV and I don't use booking agents so I guess it doesn't really matter in the end.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Booked a BC hunt in 1978 through them..Great game country..Supposed to have horses..Good thing I was 30 and tough ( I built houses )..When I arrived I was handed a backpack for 18 days ..Myself and one Sikani Indian guide...I got a nice 60'' moose and a silver tip grizzly..No goat which I wanted bad but no big deal..Bargain by today's terms ..$4500 with trophy fee...Took my wife who stayed at main lodge and spent half her time fighting outfitter off although he had his girlfriend there..Really crude bastard and I won't say name as I'm sure some would recognize it..Indians hated him as he treated them like crap and chased their wives while guides were out....Arrogant sucker move to Ak shortly after..Been nice if was warned ahead of time..Hunt was ok but really tough.

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to the [several] people from this forum that pm'd me with similar negative...ok...pizz poor experiences with, and booking thru Atchesons. Some of the stories that were related to me were worse than mine! I would have to say that they are an outfit that I could NOT recommend to anyone. Everyone has to make their own decision, but my advice would be to tread lightly if even considering them.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been nice if was warned ahead of time.. I won't say name as I'm sure some would recognize it. ManyMoons you cannot have it both ways. You beetch about about not being warned but you don't have the balls to call him out.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could get this straightened out if you wanted to. From what you first said, there seems to be some objective things that were of concern, and some subjective things that were of concern. The objective things are factual. Did they happen or not. No getting around that. The subjective things not so much. Once the first "you" is said in a disagreement things usually start going downhill from there.

The idea is to rise above that, realizing that you have a mission to accomplish, and that in order to accomplish it you have to rise above and ignore the behavior that the other guy is doing, whether you disagree with it or not.

One thing is for sure. Respect has to be earned equally on both sides. Apparently that didn't happen here. Instead of throwing the whole thing in the toilet, go back, say you feel bad for your end of things whether you said anything wrong or not, and ignore any rudeness or disrespect coming from the other guy. Keep your mind on the prize, which is to get a resolution of the issue. Re explain what happened and calmly present your case as to what you think should happen next. Even if you don't get the resolution you want leave on a good note and possibly try to take the case up again at a later date. See if there is anyway that you can help the other guy to help you.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just what are you smoking?
Al got screwed - twice! And you want him to play "nicey-nicey"?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22WRF
You could get this straightened out if you wanted to. From what you first said, there seems to be some objective things that were of concern, and some subjective things that were of concern. The objective things are factual. Did they happen or not. No getting around that. The subjective things not so much. Once the first "you" is said in a disagreement things usually start going downhill from there.

The idea is to rise above that, realizing that you have a mission to accomplish, and that in order to accomplish it you have to rise above and ignore the behavior that the other guy is doing, whether you disagree with it or not.

One thing is for sure. Respect has to be earned equally on both sides. Apparently that didn't happen here. Instead of throwing the whole thing in the toilet, go back, say you feel bad for your end of things whether you said anything wrong or not, and ignore any rudeness or disrespect coming from the other guy. Keep your mind on the prize, which is to get a resolution of the issue. Re explain what happened and calmly present your case as to what you think should happen next. Even if you don't get the resolution you want leave on a good note and possibly try to take the case up again at a later date. See if there is anyway that you can help the other guy to help you.

He did the right thing. He got shafted and he warned all of us so we don't. I realize you think you know more about what happened than he does, but you weren't there so your opinion doesn't amount to much.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mike74
Originally Posted by 22WRF

He did the right thing. He got shafted and he warned all of us so we don't. I realize you think you know more about what happened than he does, but you weren't there so your opinion doesn't amount to much.

Too bad the search tool here tends to be cumbersome, but past post history of members is a good way to find out as to whom you are dealing with...The OP is correct. He had a lousy experience and is warning us about it. Pure and simple

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Once the first "you" is said in a disagreement things usually start going downhill from there."

Another name for this would be Ad hominem argument, or appeal to personal ridicule. Its most often used by people when they run out of intelligent things to say about the issue itself, so they try to avoid the issue on its merits by instead attacking the personality of the other person.
Instead of dealing with the opponent's thesis on the merits, the fallacious argument attacks reputation and moral character; or refers to low intelligence, inferior social position, lack of education, or similar shortcomings. In the short run it sometimes works. In the long run it never works.
Here, in the short term the poster will have the satisfaction of warning other people of his difficulties. And some people will accept it. But the story is not complete. It doesn't provide the facts necessary for a disinterested person to make a factual finding of what exactly happened. And in the long run that particular business will continue on with its business, being hurt very little, if any, by what has been posted here. And the poster is left where he is, whether that is out of money, or out of a hunt, or whatever he is seeking.

A much better result would be continued negotiations based on the issue itself rather than the personalities of the parties. Maybe even a face to face meeting. Maybe with other suggestions on how the problem could be resolved. Because it sure isn't resolved now.

Last edited by 22WRF; 04/11/18.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
"Progressed backwards," I'm gonna steal that one.

Me too..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by yukonal
I recently had a disappointing elk hunt, booked thru them. They lied about the guide/outfitter, misrepresented how the horseback hunt would be conducted, and then have not followed through on how a future hunt would be arranged.

When I finally contacted Keith today, he was belligerent, and rude in his response to me concerning the way I've been treated. Jack Sr would rip Keith a new one, if he were still around.

Heads up for any of you considering booking thru them. There is a good chance it would not play out as described by them.

Why in hell would you be interested in a future hunt with them, if they are as bad as you stated?

My guess is that there are two sides to this "disappointing" hunt. Sometimes outfitters do get overbooked and have to do some last minute shuffling. Bottom line: Did you get a shot at an elk?

BH63

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by smokepole
"Progressed backwards," I'm gonna steal that one.

You do realize the word is regressed, right?

Don't be that guy.

P

Too late......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My dad did alot of business with Atchesons over the years. I remember him mentioning that he dislaiked Keith, but that Jack SR and JR wherr c
Good people. I hunted with Jack Jr. And he struck me as a standup guy.

A
A
I'm Keith Atcheson with Jack Atcheson and Sons. We are a hunting consulting business that started in 1955.

Recently, I accidentally came across this post by Al Quast from MI. As other posters mentioned there is likely more to the story. Quast made intentional, lying, and disparaging remarks about myself, our company and even brings my deceased father to the matter. Online forums are no place to resolve issues between 2 parties but it makes for good entertainment except for those involved.

It’s a year old but better late than never.

Here's the timeline. On February 29th 2016 Quast contacted me and requested information on guided MT elk hunting and northern grizzly bear hunting. I responded the same day by sending him information on a hunting area where we have been sending elk hunters for over 50 years. Its changed ownership a few times but it has been a steady producer on branch antlered bulls. It is not represented as a trophy bull elk area though it has produced many. Just a fun high success bull elk hunt. We know the operation well.

Going forward from initial contact, I never heard from Quast again on this hunt until I received the email below on December 20th 2016.

Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:03 PM
To: Keith Atcheson
Subject: Re: Elk hunt

[/quote]Hi Keith,

Just a quick note to let you know I hunted at XXXX Mtn. this Nov., and make sure you get their cut from them...lol

Quite a bit has changed since you hunted with them. XXXX no longer works there, then XXXXX husband took over...and he's out now, too. A new guy guided me, who just started for them this year. He's been in the area all his life.

They were pretty unorganized with the horses after the first day, but seemed to know what they were doing.

I got my bull, a 4 point youngster. I'm plenty happy with him. They obviously(and the guide agreed) overhunted the place. I think my bull was the 20th bull killed in 3 weeks. There were no 5 or 6 points on the ranch when I arrived. The weather was very mild, and having a herd still moving around was a blessing.

There were a couple dozen spikes in the herd, and that should make for some good hunting in a couple years.

We need to talk again this winter sometime, and get me lined up with some hunts in the future. Keep me in mind for a cancellation grizzly hunt, as I'm not prepared to spend $12-$13,000 on a bear hunt.

Thanks again Keith, and Happy Holidays to you and all you guys there.

Al Quast [quote]

In his own words this does not sound like a guy that's unhappy or had a poor hunt. Quast booked this hunt directly with the operator. I had zero contact with him financially or on arranging this elk hunt with the outfitter. I did not even know he booked. He's not a client of Jack Atcheson & Sons, period.

This morning, I talked to the outfitter who personally guided Quast, says he shot his bull the first morning of the hunt. So did his brother later in the day. He had more comments as well.

This sets the table with Quast and my experience with him which is very little. Never met the man.

Originally, he wanted some griz hunting options as well. At his request, between the dates of June 17th 2016 and March 21st of 2018 Quast received multiple emails from us representing good bear hunt options. He never acted on any of them and I recall no phone conversations but I talk with a lot of people in this business.

On March 21st 2018 our office receives a written complaint about us not contacting him directly when a " good deal" comes up. I don't like people to be unhappy. I was literally boarding a bush flight in Alaska, gone for 10 days and could not call him. While still able, I apologized to him in a written response and told him it certainly was not intentional. I had not heard from this guy for a long time. I told him, " instead of complaining and blaming me he should consider some great hunts that were open right then and there for great pricing." My office gave him information immediately and the outfitters numbers.

Come to find out a year later, he did not like my tone but I don’t have much interest in people like this for reasons that seem obvious. Fast forward, not liking my response on entirely another issue, goes on line a year and a half later and lies to damage our reputation.

The last thing Quast wrote to me was, “ You think I'm a small fish but the pen is mightier than the sword.” Then he went to the internet.

Last edited by Atcheson; 03/08/19.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

230 members (01Foreman400, 257 mag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 28 invisible), 1,276 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,540
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.