Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got this from one of my customers. He furnished a thick hard rubber butt plate for reproduction and it is now selling on GB.

Butt Plate

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Mike, at that price one could buy several of them for future use.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, on one hand that's cool.

On the other hand, a guy has to be careful now paying a premium for one.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thats my opinion also,we will have guns with special order thick buttplates coming out of the woodwork !!!! crazy crazy all that has to happen is the s/n scratched into the back !!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Loggah
Thats my opinion also,we will have guns with special order thick buttplates coming out of the woodwork !!!! crazy crazy all that has to happen is the s/n scratched into the back !!

In the preservation biz that's called "historic fabric" and changing it always creates a problem with discerning original from non-original. Judging the originality of the milspec universe will never be the same after the flurry of 1903s/03A3s/1917s/etc.. that were restocked with modern made wood and rebuilt on the "kitchen table." I dare you to find one at a gun show anymore that hasn't been tinkered with in one way or another by a civilian owner in the last 10 to 15-years. I'm not passing judgment here, but instead making an observation that weighs in for those who are interested in assessing the originality, or historicity, of a firearm.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Meh.

If nobody made em we'd be bitchin cuz you can't get one when you need it.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Meh.

If nobody made em we'd be bitchin cuz you can't get one when you need it.

No, sorry. Nobody's bitched about it in the last 15 years.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Savage guys are a funny lot, matching numbers and all that. What if Savage hadn't numbered buttplates, would replacements be ok then?

If you have a gun with a broken plate (like the one I just had that got broken in transport for example), wouldn't you rather buy a replacement than stare at a broken plate the rest of your life? Matching numbers or not I'm glad they're available although I've never needed a thick one. Everything on the planet gets repaired at some point.

From here on out purists can replace their cars when the starter goes out rather than repair it too! grin

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Savage guys are a funny lot, matching numbers and all that. What if Savage hadn't numbered buttplates, would replacements be ok then?

If you have a gun with a broken plate (like the one I just had that got broken in transport for example), wouldn't you rather buy a replacement than stare at a broken plate the rest of your life? Matching numbers or not I'm glad they're available although I've never needed a thick one. Everything on the planet gets repaired at some point.

From here on out purists can replace their cars when the starter goes out rather than repair it too! grin

It's not a question of repairing thick rubber buttplates that are broke, there are so very few of them that I've never heard of anybody needing to replace one. If they do have one that's broken, fine, go for it.

It's a question of folks can now put it on guns that had a standard shotgun buttplates. As I said originally, paying a premium for thick hard rubber buttplates just went down a lot.

It'd be like making a run of reproduction 99RS sling studs and swivels from the 1930's. Would drop the price of 99RS's.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
OK, I get that.

LOL
IC B3

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I have needed one for a while.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for sharing Mike, I just bought a couple for my tinkerbell box.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We maxed out the first run, they have to make more next week!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Turns out they are the same company that makes the grip caps. They also have new butt plate screws for 6 bucks a set.

I don't get a commission - just sharing. grin

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
He has some nice looking handgun grips at attractive prices as well. I've never heard of this outfit. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I have two on the way. The gunbroker emails seem to be saying I still need to pay for them but I sent my paypal info to the seller. I sent a msg to the seller just now. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Funny how things differ from one collecting circle to another. In antique tractors there is a saying that " if it casts a shadow it can be restored", and many HIGH value tractors started as a mere shadow of a complete unit with new parts being made in small foundries or scrounged from all over the world. Does not affect the value one bit . And then there is Winchesters, I'll bet there are lots of them floating around that don't have original furniture and no one is the wiser. Just saying!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jim52
Funny how things differ from one collecting circle to another. In antique tractors there is a saying that " if it casts a shadow it can be restored", and many HIGH value tractors started as a mere shadow of a complete unit with new parts being made in small foundries or scrounged from all over the world. Does not affect the value one bit . And then there is Winchesters, I'll bet there are lots of them floating around that don't have original furniture and no one is the wiser. Just saying!

When there is a massive lack of originals in good condition, the value of correctly restored pieces goes up. Turnbull has a waiting list for a reason. But there's still a lot of high condition old Savage's. Though even there a buyer needs to beware that it hasn't been "altered" to have more desirable features that increase it's value. Happens more than a guy would think, even on high end guns.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Yes I agree about the value of " correctly restored " however the amount of high value Savages available is definitely relative to where you live in the world. In the Canadian prairies they are few and far between believe me. Not looking to start a p-----g match it just seems to me that sometimes Savage collectors need to "come down off of the cross, because someone else might need the wood"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have no problem with people replacing broken thick hard rubber buttplates with repo units, for the guys that have broken thin rubber buttplates there are plenty of repos for that fix. I,m hoping that the unethical replacement of thin ones with thick ones aint going to be rampant !!!!! i have 3 rifles with original thick hard rubber buttplates ,all special order ,and paid a premium on them. We just dont need a bunch of bogus upgrade guns coming out of the woodwork !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 73 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.