Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OttoG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I've analysed my field shooting performance and have decided I don't need to shoot further, just more accurately and more consistantly at the ranges I currently shoot at. In effect I need to be able to shoot slightly better than 1.5moa out to 275yards. The positions I use are from a stand with a shooting rail, prone over pack, kneeling with sticks and elbow on knee or pack very occasionally sitting and standing with sticks and elbow supported or unsupported. I use cross or quad sticks and I'm much more fussy about shot angles and placement.

I now almost exclusively hunt with a supressed stainless sporter M700 in a Macmillan mountain stock with a minimum of 8x50mm scope in low 30mm talley rings with accurate and quite flat shooting loads (243 and 7-08). I don't use turrets but aim off.

In effect I need to move from killing to specific bullet placement. I've started carrying my range finder in my pocket instead of my pack and have memorised my drops better.

My friends are of the opinion that I should consider turrets and/or a more vertical grip stock with adjustable cheek piece.

I don't think I have an issue with cheek weld. I have a long jaw which seems to me to sit well and repeatably on the stock. I would like a more vertical grip but not necessarily enough to spend on a game scout at this point.

I don't like the idea of turrets because my rifle is pretty flat shooting and I often shoot multiples where deer run about and stop momentarily at varying ranges. I would consider a TDS system but all now seem to be on second focal plane scopes which I cannot operate.

So the plan is - greater accuracy in ranging and matching drops to range and to practice more with what I have.

Unless you tell me a game scout/warden and PMII will magically improve my shooting grin

Last edited by OttoG; 03/22/18.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
1.5 MOA to 275 yds should be pretty easy to achieve with just about any quality setup from the prone.

If you want to be a good shot, shoot offhand all the time. If you want to know how far away you can kill a deer, shoot milk jug size targets in all conditions and from a variety of positions.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No need for new equipment, simply get out there and practice from field positions.

Depending on what game you're hunting, the milk jug sized targets Travis mentioned should suffice. Paper plates also make for good deer vital zone sized targets.

Introduce some stress to your practice, whether via timer or exercising to get your heart rate up to simulate the pressure of a hunt, especially if you're mobile and may have a higher than resting heart rate due to climbing a hill or whatever.

Practice getting into position, finding the target in the scope, and making the shot quickly. I've seen more missed shot opportunities due to these problems than anything else.

Practice figuring out ranges without a rangefinder. They are a handy tool when you have time, but they do waste a lot of time that could be spent making the shot, especially on skittish game at relatively close ranges where a MPBR zero negates the need for a rangefinder...just point and shoot.

Zero your rifle to where there's no need for any hold over out to 275 yards. Should be very doable, given the right loads, and depending on target size.

The big thing is to just get out and shoot. Instead of spending money on a new stock, spend it on ammo. Shoot that ammo up in practice, and you'll be ready for the hunt! Plus you'll show up your buddies who think you need new gear.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use gallon jugs filled with water and shoot of bipod shooting sticks. The max I've shot with this is 375 yards. It works. A 12" paper plate is also a good tool. If you can put three shots into it, you should ge good to go for most practical hunting applications.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have steel plated out to five hundred yards from my stand. I practice shooting them. They are 2 feet square with a 10”” orange circle painted in the middle. I like the sound it makes when you hit metal!

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stalk and spot rock chucks all spring. Has been the preferred training method for generations around here.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We shoot pigs every time we go to lease. They are great for practice and for trying different bullets.

O
OttoG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Maybe I've not been clear. I have absolutely no problem killing deer at decent ranges and frequently. I do it just about every day (365 day season)

But our deer are small - think coyote size for roe and large fox for our little muntjac. The issue I have is too often hitting vitals that end up increasing damage to the carcass ie too close to the backstraps, occasionally the liver (and hence gut content contamination) and shoulders. So I need to be able to hit 3-4". I'm never going to shoot offhand and I'm very unlikely to take a rushed shot because I'll get another chance to make a considered shot and even if I don't I'll come back tomorrow.

I'll rephrase. Are raised cheek pieces, vertical grips, turrets etc an aid for precision field shooting on live game?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you dont have a problem with cheek weld, why mess with the stock? I cant comment on vertical grips but in your first post you said you hold off. For precise shot placement, a scope with turrets and consistent accurate adjustments is better than holding off.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For the distances you cite the question of first vs second focal plane is moot since a straight 6x with a hashmark reticle will easily get it done.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It sounds like you have quality equipment already, but is it possible your rifle could benefit from a trigger job?

Just a tiny bit of creep or a too-heavy letoff will jiggle your shot to the point that 1 1/2" per 100 yards will be VERY difficult to achieve in field positions.

Other than that, I would grab a very accurate .22 rifle that is the same size/type as your hunting rifle, do some fairly extensive shooting at 50-100 yards with the sticks and see if your accuracy improves. Perhaps you're reacting to recoil or muzzle blast in a negative way.

Do you wear hearing protection when you hunt?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I have steel plated out to five hundred yards from my stand. I practice shooting them. They are 2 feet square with a 10”” orange circle painted in the middle. I like the sound it makes when you hit metal!

For 500 yards and in I'd be thinking around the size of a clay target, or at max 12x12 inch, 24 inches is a HUGE target for scoped deer rifle IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by OttoG
Maybe I've not been clear. I have absolutely no problem killing deer at decent ranges and frequently. I do it just about every day (365 day season)

But our deer are small - think coyote size for roe and large fox for our little muntjac. The issue I have is too often hitting vitals that end up increasing damage to the carcass ie too close to the backstraps, occasionally the liver (and hence gut content contamination) and shoulders. So I need to be able to hit 3-4". I'm never going to shoot offhand and I'm very unlikely to take a rushed shot because I'll get another chance to make a considered shot and even if I don't I'll come back tomorrow.

I'll rephrase. Are raised cheek pieces, vertical grips, turrets etc an aid for precision field shooting on live game?

A rangefinder and turrets will definitely aid precision...especially in the cases you're mentioning. Hold off is fine for a big kill zone, but the narrower that kill zone the more precise you need to be, so don't be forced to hold off, know exactly where the bullet will strike.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yes

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You need to enter the dink contest.

Nothing is as valuable as quality disciplined trigger time—practice, practice, practice.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
If your max is 275 I don't think a turret would help. Laser RF and a drop chart at 25 yard intervals, then practice.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Either posters aren’t reading what he’s doing, or don’t understand what he’s asking. Milk jugs aren’t going to help him.

Yes. Regardless of the distance, the target size that you are trying to hit puts you squarely into “precision rifle” realm. Vertical grips, adjustable stocks, mil reticles and turrets, and FFP will all help in precision shooting. I would even look into a full up chassis.

What 8x56mm scope are you using?

Curious as to why such big cartridges for that size game? They’re not helping in the precision or meat damage departments.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
OttoG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Either posters aren’t reading what he’s doing, or don’t understand what he’s asking. Milk jugs aren’t going to help him.

Yes. Regardless of the distance, the target size that you are trying to hit puts you squarely into “precision rifle” realm. Vertical grips, adjustable stocks, mil reticles and turrets, and FFP will all help in precision shooting. I would even look into a full up chassis.

What 8x56mm scope are you using?

Curious as to why such big cartridges for that size game? They’re not helping in the precision or meat damage departments.

Thanks - very helpful.

Hunting areas have a mix of game so 243 for use on tiny muntjac because its the legal minimum for roe. 7-08 for fallow and also reds which can be very large ie verging on cow Elk. Generally all works well except where roe and reds coexist, then it's either big holes in roe or pass on anything other than perfect presentation for Reds.

Scope is a swaro pf 8x50

Last edited by OttoG; 03/23/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.