Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
We we’re having our family Know Your Limits .22lr shoot last night. When my wife got done beating us all.... we started shooting rocks and pine cones and such at 100 yards. I noticed that I had to hold more wind with the CCI-Select (1200fps) than I did with the CCI-SV (1070fps). They shoot to identical zeros at 25 yards.... yet I was holding about 50% more on the Selects.

I thought I was crazy until I got home and geeked-out on .22lr ballistics. It’s true..... the SV drifts less at 100 yards than the HV... with identical bullets. Something about air resistance increasing exponentially as a projectile approaches super-sonic speeds. There’s some super-nerds, like Fred, that may understand the math..... but I certainly didn’t.

Anyone else observe this counterintuitive phenomenon?

I’ll link a couple articles on the subject.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now, I understand all your “22 LR Questions and threads of late...Wifey, is kick’n your dog-ballz all over the shooting range and you want to know to why....Dog, obviously, Wife shoots better than you. SV versus HV drifts. Mathematics on air/ heat/friction pushing the bullet is your huckleberry...Just ask Fuuck Lips Fred! 😎

Wow, I just reread your post. DS, you’re all kinds of serious aren’t you on understanding the LR phenomenon. Here’s my best answer:
At 22 LR velocities and bullet mass being equal between SV and HV the Controlled Factors of bullet weight, QC on ammo production, The Barrel and Rifling Quality are all same-same....

Non Controlled Factors: Heat upon the bullet created inside the barrel from firing...Then bullet leaving the barrel, already heated, creating atmospheric friction, gravitational pull, coupled with natural wind occurring to play upon the direction of the 22 bullet.

Now, use a coating, on one bullet that translates to less heat, allows for wind/air to pass over easily and you will have a bullet that in essence “Bucks the Wind Better”. I’m just gonna buy myself some Eley Match ammo so I can beat my wife...😎

Last edited by Beaver10; 03/23/18.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I get out shot by my beautiful wife.....

You get outshot by your butt-buddy Trystan....

I understand math is hard for you.... as is reading comprehension, physics, and shoe-tying.... but it is intersting to some folks with greater than a 2nd grade education.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DS, This math you seek may have died with Hawking. Maybe DeGrasse knows the formula. 🌈🦄🌈

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The math and reading comprehension you seek died with: One Fish, Two Fish; Red Fish, Blue Fish.....

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
The math and reading comprehension you seek died with: One Fish, Two Fish; Red Fish, Blue Fish.....

LMAO

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huh? How many fish is that again? 😂 Eley, D...You’ll crush you beautiful wife with it...Or, maybe you shoot like “2-Dogs Fuuck-Ugly” and there no hope for you...Who’s Trystan, she hot??? 😎

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I’m beginning to think you may be Trystan.....

She out shoots me pretty regularly.... so does my son for that matter. Makes me proud, and a little pissed, every time it happens.

Shot some Eley, and Lapua.... it was about the same as the CCI-SV and Aguila SE. I’m sure the Eley would represent itself better in a better .22 barrel. Best thus far has been the Aguila Pistol Match Comp.

Got a CZ 455 Varmint en rout.... we’ll SS 10x it, then wring it out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, Dog, I’m not Trystan... Just a hunter who loves guns, reloading, fishing, and getting along with those like yourself and others who shoot well, don’t take themselves too seriously, all the time, and educate and humor us on the Fire. You do all the above! Plus, I can tell you’re of good people..

I owned and shot for many years a CZ 527 Varmint in 204 Rug...I bought it back when CZ offered it with the H-S Kevlar stock. It shot so well, I bought another but in 223...Same results. Excellent accuracy out of the box. Shot them both for years, almost exclusively. Finally sold them both and started playing around with custom build varmint rifles..

I dropped a small fortune into a couple shooters in 204 Rug and 222 Rem. Combined a nut hair over $8k spent. Yeah, they both are fun and wicked accurate but not that much more accurate than my old CZ’s....I did hate the “pot metal” feeling on the CZ triggers. My only complaint.

You’ll likely love your 455 Varmint.. Maybe even out shoot your wife using it..Doubt it, though 😂 Here’s why. I assume you, like me taught your wife and son to shoot. You taught them well, with proper basics and a hint, here and there over time on making improvements to their shooting skills...Woman, especially, pay attention and don’t deviate from basics taught, only improving upon those basic with practice.

Now, us “Studs” like to screw around with our toys...Always looking for newer better schit to play with...We are constantly having to make adjustments to our new toy and scopes...Like Tiger Woods changing his golf swing. It takes a while to get use to it. While I play with new stuff, my wife hands me my A$$ on the pistol and rimfire targets...I do hate what I created sometimes. 😊

I read a lot this time of year. I own a house painting company and now after years of painting, I can afford to slow down through the fall and winter months, which gives me time to play with loads, rifles and hunting...Summer it’s ballz out work, work, work. I am close to going back to it 6 days a week in a couple months...Shee-it 😫

I just bought my first SWFA S/S 10x42 with mildots to teach myself turret twisting..Jordan, has been helping me on the “Low-Low” through PM. I didn’t want to draw out all the opinions across the Fire on what I should do if I wanted to learn turrets.

Jordan, is solid. Knows his schit about scopes and LR shooting...So, I reached out and he’s been beyond kind and helpful...Good Guy for sure...I had an older Rem 700 VSF in 223 tucked away in the back of my safe. Grabbed it, tore off the B&C stock I had put on it several years ago....Ordered a Grayboe Terrain Stock, looks like an M40 Stock so I could have higher cheek alignment with the scope.

The Grayboe came with bottom metal and ACIS mag ready $399 for stock and metal...Good deal! 👍🏻 I already had a Timney trigger in it, set at 2.0 lbs. Mounted a Warne 20 moa base. I had a pair of Leupold 30mm PRW rings laying around and Wah-LA...My garage build turret twister training wheels rifle was done with a SWFA 10x atop to torture the Fuuck out of me.

Dog, that’s me, bro. I have spit coffee and beer through my snout several times from reading, you, Fred and Judman that it’s to the point I won’t have any coffee until I’ve read your guys posts...Wife looks at me like I’m a Tard when it happens. What can I say? Humor and intelligence can cause a mess of a guys computer and table.

On this thread you started...It looked lonely with no replies after 3 hours I wanted to give it a bump...Now where is Fred to talk about the finer points of fist play? Stay well DS 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a question to get this back on track...The biathlon athletes use Eley for competition mostly, so one can assume it’s good 22 ammo, with better mfg. tolerance for consistency...But spendy!

I have the follow 22LR rifles: Kimber Silhouette Hunter. Browning Abolt. Winchester Model 52 Sporter vintage 1980’s Japanese mfg.

The Kimber is sighted at 100 yards and will almost one hole Lapua “Standard Plus” low velocity ammo. The Lapua ammo is slicked with oil or something on each bullet...All my rifles love it. I bought a case many, many moons ago and I’m down to my last 12 boxes of 50. It’s a slower FPS than the CCI offerings I bought.

Since I’m running low on Lapua, I started to change over to CCI ammo using Stingers, Mini and Maxi-mag. The Kimber doesn’t mind the change to any of the 3. The Abolt was happy with the Mini or Maxi..But the Winchester doesn’t seem to like any of them.

The Winchester has been boxed and only recently I have started shooting it...Does it need to have a few 100 rounds through it before it will find its sweet-spot? I bought the CCI Stingers specifically for the Winchester.

I still have the Kimber sighted at 100. But the rest are sighted at 55 yards. I bought several cases of each of the CCI because my wife’s 22’s like them and I’m trying to jam a square peg in a round hole with them into my Model 52...I got a few greenbacks invested in CCI and not wanting to invest more in 22LR ammo just for the Winchester unless I have to.

Your thoughts on the Winny improving as round count increases. Or, should I try Eley? 😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
No idea.... I don’t know schitt about rimfire rifles... except for the 10/22 I shot to death when I was a kid, and this little FV-SR I bought for the kids.

I just was wondering if it was common knowledge in the rimfire community that SVs drifted less than HVs.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
CCI Stingers are not known for their accuracy, try one of the other ammos you have in the Winchester.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No idea.... I don’t know schitt about rimfire rifles... except for the 10/22 I shot to death when I was a kid, and this little FV-SR I bought for the kids.

I just was wondering if it was common knowledge in the rimfire community that SVs drifted less than HVs.

It is pretty common knowledge. Never understood it myself and the fact that the best shooting long range stuff I have ever shot is going 1250 or so. Hard to wrap my brain around.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
In the Winchester Beaver10 try SK jag Standard Plus.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brilliant! That was funny as [bleep]. I am glad you started the thread. I had no idea that the SV would drift less. If you did your ballistics research online, do you have any links?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Here’s a link to a discussion on rimfirecentral......

Explain the Physics

Link to an article explaining the phenomenon....

The Wind is not your Friend

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I never did understand that book.

I also never understood the slow vs. high velocity thing with the 22LR. But it sure as hell is fun.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here’s a link to a discussion on rimfirecentral......

Explain the Physics

Link to an article explaining the phenomenon....

The Wind is not your Friend

I read that, and I think I am best off just accepting it rather than having to understand it.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
That’s where I’m at too.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deflave

I never did understand that book.

I also never understood the slow vs. high velocity thing with the 22LR. But it sure as hell is fun.

Dave

I read that book to my daughter almost nightly.... and I’m still searching for the meaning, if there is one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 47 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,464,017
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.