Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I replaced the Remington 700 trigger with a Timney, now the bolt release isn't quite what it was,,, seems to be functional but too "sticky" .

We need to tweak what, the Spring? how and where?

Also, As you know realistically the pins must be driven out in opposite directions, both pins have tapers, I would assume both tapers would lead as your reassembling,

However just watched a video that states both tapers go in the same direction, seems to me the tapers should be opposite.

FYI, I did remove the bolt stop and spring during trigger replacement....

TIA.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
To be smarter than the equipment that you are working on-

In reference to a right hand receiver-
The Remington trigger group pins install from left to right w/ the tapered end to lead for alignment purposes.
The forward pin(shorter) needs to be .040" below flush as not to bind the bolt stop.
The aft pin(longer) needs to be proud of the bolt stop by the same amount.
The bolt stop torsion spring is installed with the long leg forward.

Good luck with your non repeatable Timney trigger group.
The bolt release lever TAB of your Timney tr/group may need to be adjusted to contact correctly in the bolt stop for proper function.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Happy to see someone else completely underwhelmed by Timney triggers...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I replaced the Remington 700 trigger with a Timney, now the bolt release isn't quite what it was,,, seems to be functional but too "sticky" .

We need to tweak what, the Spring? how and where?

Also, As you know realistically the pins must be driven out in opposite directions, both pins have tapers, I would assume both tapers would lead as your reassembling,

However just watched a video that states both tapers go in the same direction, seems to me the tapers should be opposite.

FYI, I did remove the bolt stop and spring during trigger replacement....

TIA.

Lots of different points where the release can be binding. Starting at the start, I like to look at the spring and verify it is not cocked at either end or binding...

Then to the bolt release lever to see if it is working freely in the slot. I usually stone them and then use OxphoBlue to recolor. Not uncommon to find them the binding point... but my pins are always polished by that point and I assume some issues come from there.

The button arm itself can get bent and cause issues.

If you carry hot and are willing to accept the liability go ahead and keep at it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dan, solid description, thanks.

This is how I fixed mine,

You adjust the 'offset arm' (?) so that it sits directly with constant contact with the notch that receives it,

Mine was a touch strong, and riding over the notch just a K hair and pinching it back.

IC B2

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Happy to see someone else completely underwhelmed by Timney triggers...

I posted this last night in another post,

I'll need to sleep on this tonight, make a decision in the morning,

Installed the Timney an hour ago, A couple dozen dry fires, Not sure I'm feeling the love......

May go the Trigger Tech route.

Truth be told, I have two M70 Winchesters, both had the triggers tweaked, one by Lee and the other by Eddie. Both those triggers surprise me when they release, their that smooth...Nothing else so far compares.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (300_savage, 01Foreman400, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,159 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.