Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jetboil. The cup, heater, lid, sleeve, and a can of fuel are 16 ounces total. By the time you combine the weight of a pot, stove, fuel, etc for some other setup, there's no useful weight savings and a lot of complexity I avoid.

A mini wood stove / twig burner might be an exception but those are not legal to use here in late summer to mid-fall when I'm backpacking and backpack/hunting since it is still fire season. I don't think even the little solid fuel pellet stoves are legal at that time ... it is liquid fuel or compressed gas **only** by law until Dept of Forestry and USFS declare fire season over.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does anyone know how much this Coleman dual fuel stove weighs? I can't find any specs. To look at it, it appears kind of heavy. They're supposed to work very well.

Of course you wouldn't want it for backpacking but for llama packing or car camping, I use one of these Coleman propane stoves. It's great for when weight isn't an issue.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Take a look at these. My brother has one that I have used a couple of times. Kind of expensive but worth it imho. It will burn white gas, unleaded gas, kerosene, diesel fuel, butane, propane and propane-butane mixes, even jet fuel. Almost any liquid fuel except alcohol. All with one jet, no need to change for different fuels.
https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Polaris-Optifuel-Stove/dp/B00U8B9LSI

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ah, the Optimus 8R (or is that the Russian version?). I have a Svea 123 which works exactly the same way but in a different design. They're a little harder to light than the cannister stoves and a bit heavier but they're as reliable as any stoves made. They're impervious to high altitudes, too. I think the Svea is still being made but not the Optimus.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I bought a Svea 123 in the mid 70's. I used fire ribbon (napalm in a tube) to get it started. I think I still have it stored somewhere.

I've been using a Jetboil for several years.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About butane at high altitudes and cold weather...I've read that some brands of canisters now have about 30% propane in them. That helps mitigate the butane problems. It burns better in the cold and thin air.

― George Orwell

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Rock Chuck

The Coleman weighs about 2 lbs empty! It's a little heavy compared to backpacking stoves but works like a champ! Mine seems to only have two levels, off and full blast! lol

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Cooking stove:
I still have an origional coleman peak(mid 1970s and not model in picture) Heavy but still use when a castor, car or horse is involved.
Minimal safety features and it has a unit of catching itself on fire if not careful priming but great stove. Not fond of newer models I have been around.

That said I have 2 MSR stoves and they get used when weight is a factor. They don't simmer.
Dragonflies are loud!

Alcohol stoves seem better suited for warmer weather.
Never warmed up to the idea of the disposable fuel canisters like jetboil but maybe I should.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SnowPeak Gigapower 2 - Very light and dependable w/piezo. Isobutane canister. Recommend the MSR canisters...better dependable blend at elevation and very cold temps.

D Power - Very light, very cheap, but very good, dependable w/piezo and flexible fuel hose. Isobutane canister,

MSR Whisperlite Universal - Heavier, but much faster boiling ability and higher heat output for larger containers of water or for melting snow. White gas. International version will burn almost ANY liquid fuel.

For isobutane users, recommend you cut out a circle 3/4 - 1" deep circle that fits the bottom of the fuel canister on a piece of foam to act as an insulator and provide more stable platform for the fuel canister, especially on snow.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I can't say I have a favorite. I have a few for different reasons.

This Coleman tank-top propane burner is the first one, kind of outdated, but still works. I used this in the Marines quite a bit. Not much anymore.

[Linked Image]

I bought a Primus Omni-fuel Ti for all weather performance and fuel options. But it's big/heavy as stoves go. It can handle a big pot though.

[Linked Image]

The Primus has two valves, you can really dial in the flame,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've picked up a couple of isobutane stoves along the way too.

The Olicamp Xcelerator is fairly light, has it's own legs and fairly big pot ability.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then the smallest I have is the Olicamp Kinetic, it's nice and light at 1.7 oz, tank-topper. Fast to set up when you just want to make coffee or some noodles in a cup, or heat some water real fast for a MH or something like that.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We also have a titanium woodstove. The SXL from Seek Outside. Great for heat and cooking if you are going to make a camp.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have:

Svea 123
Snow Peak Giga Power
Olicamp
MSR Whisperlite International
Gaz Cartridge Stove
Jetboil (4 of them)

No longer have:

MSR XGK
MSR Dragonfly
Hank Roberts Stove
Other Forgettable's

For boiling water only: Jetboil or Olicamp/Pocket Rocket with XTS Pot (works like a Jetboil).

For cooking: The MSR Dragonly, Whisperlite or my 43 year old Svea 123, especially with a Bunsen burner wire mat to disperse heat.

I think the Jetboil is one of the best backpack technologies of the last 15 years.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MSR Windburner
Jetboil Mini-mo

I still have my original Jetboil I bought when they first appeared....still works!

These both work very well. MSR is a manual light. Not a big deal for me. Most auto lights puke after some use, in my experience.

Yeah, the fuel is a little spendy, but everything we do in the hunting world costs money....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For backpacking, I use a JetBoil. My ignitor crapped out early on, so I just keep a Bic in the cup with the fuel.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure about my favorite. My most often used is the MSR WindBurner.

In cold weather I invert the canister on a MSR Wind Pro.

Have also used: MSR Pocket Rocket, Soto ODR1, MSR Whisperlite, several iterations of the JetBoil. I use a Light My Fire striker to start them, love that little thing. My best advice on a stove is make sure you keep track of your boot laces when using the stove to un-freeze them in the morning wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Picked this up yesterday to play around this summer on some pack trips with the boys.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Lightweight-...g-E3P3-/131868475218?txnId=1455202882003

Good reviews and YouTube videos covering it, like I said something to try out.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jetboil for me. It is just too simple, and it works. I've done multiple 8+ day trips on a single can of fuel. Of course, if you are melting snow for water, you'll really go through some fuel. I trust it enough to "cook" in the tent in if the weather sucks.

I carry one in the snowmachine in the winter and make coffee on the trail. On the boat, for a via, or hot chocolate for the kid. When I was building my shop, the jetboil lived out there and made coffee every day.

The igniter died on my original stove, then it was recalled and I got a stove with a working igniter again. At some point there was an igniter repair kit. I don't know what model I'm using now. The igniter is a multiple attempt thing, but it always works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mostly use a Jetboil Sol. Very reliable and the piezoelectric ignition is awesome. Believe it or not, I have run it in -25F conditions and it worked pretty well as long as the gas 'cartridge' was kept warm in my sleeping bag before use.

Additional stoves:

Optimus Vega
MSR Pocket Rocket
MSR Micro Rocket

The Micro Rocket looks promising though I have yet to really put to the test. The Pocket Rocket is just awesome, period.

I've never used the multi fuel stoves, but I am going to Nepal&Tibet in '19 and I might bring one along instead of a cartridge stove.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With straight butane, it's not only temperature that causes problems. Elevation is a factor, too. I don't have a stove that uses them, but these new canisters with 30/70 propane/butane might be the ticket.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck,
The only fuel I have used in my stoves is the MSR ISOPRO all-season fuel blend. That might be why I am able to make that Jetboil work Ok at low temps?

As far as the altitude is concerned I have run the stoves up to about 12,500 feet and they work OK, though not as well as at 5K.

Last edited by 340boy; 03/27/18.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a fuel with the propane in it. If I remember my chemistry right, that Iso-butane in it is still butane but it's a different form of it. Kind of like propanol & iso-propanol (rubbing alcohol).

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
445 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 49 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.