Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
What’s the quality buy regardless of price? Mainly for fish up to 50 lbs or so.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pflueger President Model. I’ve got 9 of them and love em. Got rid of my old Shimano’s after the first day of using one. And they only cost $50 bucks, too.

Here ya go: https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/...z377zecfceuIJIbi740XP7bH4p8aAsYvEALw_wcB

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/27/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had various Pfluegers, and later p/u some Shimano's. No issues with either. Most are the smaller ones I use for freshwater.

What fish are you targeting?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The diawa ss tournament series in whatever size you need. Been running them for 25 years or so. How often does a company make anything for 20 plus years anymore, that should tell you something.They run about a hundred bucks and up depending on size. That said I have also picked up some Pfluegers recently. The president XT is available in a very small size, got that for a ultralight stream trout rod. Also like their larger arbor style reel. Again small for the class for lighter setup. I tend to run towards the light side in all my tackle choices.

In your case I would look into the Diawa SS1600 or SS2600. You gain only a slight amount of drag with the 2600 but you may want the higher line capacity. If you use braid the 1600 will overcome the line capacity issues an give a slightly lighter and smaller package. I have used the 1600 on carp up to about 30 pounds. Reel had no problems and easily could of handled more. Exceptionally smooth drag

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you are a Cabela's shopper check out the Cabela's Tournament ZX by Daiwa.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Much as I like the rear mounted drags on my larger 040 and 050 Shakespeare Supra Sigma spinning reels, the drags are way smoother with larger drag discs on the front mounted drag Shimano reels. I have an upper end 2000 series for an ultra light, but the bale hits my fingers, so I went with the little larger 2500 as my go to walleye reel. Recommended.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have just about switched over to Lew's spinning reels. The only problem is that my Okuma and Daiwa reels refuse to break.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Okuma and Shimano here for the last 10 yrs or so . Never any trouble with either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had just about every brand of reel over the years and for my monetyou just can't beat Shimano. And thats saying a lot since they are mostly made in Japan. But for 50 lb fish like big cats, I'd use a Penn saltwater reel.

But,,,,,,,,,,,, for someone who knows the correct way to use a reel. Anything will work if you remember,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,A REEL IS NOT A WINCH!

Shimano makes a nice old fashioned non bearing reel , the IX1000,2000,and 4000, series reel for $12.99. Thats right, $12.99 from Tackle Direct dot com.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by fubarguy
I've had just about every brand of reel over the years and for my monetyou just can't beat Shimano. And thats saying a lot since they are mostly made in Japan. But for 50 lb fish like big cats, I'd use a Penn saltwater reel.

But,,,,,,,,,,,, for someone who knows the correct way to use a reel. Anything will work if you remember,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,A REEL IS NOT A WINCH!

Shimano makes a nice old fashioned non bearing reel , the IX1000,2000,and 4000, series reel for $12.99. Thats right, $12.99 from Tackle Direct dot com.

I was going to suggest a Penn saltwater reel but was afraid I would get flamed for the suggestion.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Drag needs to be on the rear.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Why?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Why?

Qreat question? All of my spinning reels are rear drag or the drag in on the spool ( Abu Garcia reels)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Why?

My preference - balanced much better for me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reloder28
What’s the quality buy regardless of price? Mainly for fish up to 50 lbs or so.

Shimanos in the $125 price range...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rear mounted drag is more convenient to change when you are playing a fish, but the discs are larger and can be smoother when they are in the front of the reel. The new issue of Outdoor Life just named their pick for the best spinning reel as the Shimano Exsence, but that $540. price tag offends my Scottish sensibilities. Shimano does make a heck of a spinning reel though and their lower end models share a lot of the same design features as that upper end one. Their drag is the best I've used and if you are catching big fish, you need a drag that works well. Outdoor Life picked the Quantum PT Vapor at $140. their Great Buy model.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amazing how some of us come to the same conclusions, but that is the way quality works....Shimano Stradic for about $140..., Spirex for less expensive...
I have about a dozen of each.
Read drag only. They be hard to find in the Stradic series; I sourced mine in Europe.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 65BR
I have had various Pfluegers, and later p/u some Shimano's. No issues with either. Most are the smaller ones I use for freshwater.

Cat’s mostly. Redfish secondary.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I started using Zebco Cardinals back in the 70s and that's what I still fish with. Plenty of them available on ebay. Light, smooth and fast; I have some I've been fishing hard for 40+ years.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'll second the Zebco Cardinal series, my personal favorite reel! I also like the DAM Quick reels as well, but the rear drag puts the Cardinal in first.

The ultra-lights are special even now in "modern" times.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I, have two Shimano Spriex 500 that I have been fishing with just about exclusively for over 25 years, maybe not the smoothest but they work for me. Problem, is they, discontinued them some years ago and I bought the last of the bail springs they had in stock years ago, I'm down to one spare now. I like the double paddle reels and they seem to be out of fashion now days. Don't know what to get once I break my last spring.

As mentioned by someone above the reel is not a winch, I have landed many 10#-15# Blues with these little reels and 6# line. Landed few spotted Gar in the 15#+ range too, it is all in the drag.

90% of my fishing is on the Caddo River here in SW Arkansas for Smallmouth, Kentucky Bass, and Blue Catfish.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pflueger President Model's for me as well. I use them on all my crappie trolling rods from 8ft to 14ft.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Pflueger President Model's for me as well. I use them on all my crappie trolling rods from 8ft to 14ft.

Same here, I have 5 of them, great reels for the money.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR

Cat’s mostly. Redfish secondary.

On Cat's - assume freshwater, those really large fish you want a 3000 or larger reel, and I'd use braid. On Redfish, a Penn Battle, 3000 as would a few of the mid priced Shimano's will do great. You will be casting often, so reel weight IMHO matters alot, I want LIGHT, but enough reel for the job. The Penn might be heavier than others, a Shimano is often lighter, and the more you pay the lighter you can get. Reel balance depends on the rod you put it on.....regarding the comment above.

I'd buy a cheap Pflueger President in 40 size but no smaller than 35 for Cats. You can swap reels for chasing Reds, but I might just have a less expensive albeit medium heavy to heavy action rod for the cats. The Redfish you probably want a Medium on the light end, but a Medium heavy might be best if you are throwing heavier baits and often hooking larger fish.

Talk to the guys at the counter at your local tackle stores for some of their input as well. I'd go as light weight a set up on the Redfish gear since you will cast often, but you need strong / stout enough rod and reel for the bigger ones as they do fight hard as you know.

Good fishing!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If money's not a concern look into a Daiwa Certate reel. Most of your upper end reels are Japan issue only. I've been using Shimano Stradic's forever, had the itch and the cash for something different. Bought the Certate. I ended up with the 1000 series, used mostly for smallmouth and walleye. It's one sweet reel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done just fine running my old MItchell's. You just have to keep some extra bail springs around for them. I run several Schimano's and like them too, but am thinking about cleaning house and going to the Pfleuggers. My buddy runs them and I've had a chance to handle a couple of his and really like them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought my first ever Pfleugger last fall and so far I am very pleased. Time will only tell how long I am pleased. In the past I have been a big Schimano user and wanted to try the Pfleugger based on some advice I read in this forum. Dang thing is smooth on the retrieve for sure.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the money, around $30, Shimano Sienna FD. No sealed bearings so hose it off good if you use it for saltwater otherwise it's got almost all of the features of their more expensive reels. I've never caught a really big fish on my 2500 model but I've used it for freshwater and salt water surf fishing for around six years and so far it's worked as well as my 2500 Stradic for about 15% of the cost.

They discontinued the FD model a year or so ago but you can still find them on ebay. They replaced it with the Sienna FE, less bearings and a composite body. For all I know it's as good as the FD. Shimano makes good reels.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Shimano Stradic followed by Penn Fierce and Battle. They have been my choices for years. Salt, fresh, brackish, inshore and blue water. Have served me well. Flush w fresh water. They just work. Tight lines.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For freshwater LMB, etc. I have used the Pflueger President 35, but recently bought one of the new 2500 Daiwa Fuego LT models - spooled with 10 lb. PowerPro braid, liking it so far. For bream I have a little Pflueger Trion 25 - surprisingly smooth and durable for a cheap reel. For saltwater surf, and pier I use the Daiwa BG or the old Penn Conflict reels in the medium and large sizes (5000 & 6000). I have a couple of 2500 size Shimano Safari FE reels spooled with light braid that came with the used boat I own - two years of regular use and they are smooth as silk.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was a shimano man for years but their quality and reliability has went down in the last few years. I have been using pfluger supreme reels with good service in the 30 series for a medium size reel and I love the daiwas 2000 size for panfish. The 2000s cast WAY better than the 1000 shimano and aren't very big. The daiwas I use are around 125 to 150 dollars the pfluger supremes are 99 bucks.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
3000 & 5000 shimano spheros have servrd me well , salt water reels .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not to hijack the thread but who repairs the zebco cardinals I have a couple with issues ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I've done just fine running my old MItchell's. You just have to keep some extra bail springs around for them. I run several Schimano's and like them too, but am thinking about cleaning house and going to the Pfleuggers. My buddy runs them and I've had a chance to handle a couple of his and really like them.
I like my Mitchell's just fine too. Also have a 10 year old Abu Garcia Cardinal that has done itself proud.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone using the Daiwa BGs? Recently bought two 2500s and have been very impressed considering I got two, delivered for $156.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I bought a BG 5000 and put it on a Penn prevail 11' surf rod. I have two of the older BG30's on the same rods.
The new BG's are one hell of a bang for the buck. Was going to get Penn Battle II's but I'm happy with the choice.
Thinking of a 1500 for a trout rod.

Last edited by jackmountain; 06/24/18.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Last reel I bought was a Shimano Nasci. It is every bit as smooth as my Shimano Sustain at almost 1/3rd the price.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Took the place of the symetre. Nasci is a nice reel.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've had a number of relatively inexpensive Diawas and Shimanos to serve me well for 20+ years that are now needing to be retired. I grew up on Mitchells and two DAM Quicks I really liked. I have several of the L/UL saltwater gold Penns I've been using for mountain trout and casting into the NC/SC surf for whiting, flounder and pompano. I bought a UL Okuma to try out on trout/crappie this year.

B
B
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
The diawa ss tournament series in whatever size you need. Been running them for 25 years or so. How often does a company make anything for 20 plus years anymore, that should tell you something.They run about a hundred bucks and up depending on size. That said I have also picked up some Pfluegers recently. The president XT is available in a very small size, got that for a ultralight stream trout rod. Also like their larger arbor style reel. Again small for the class for lighter setup. I tend to run towards the light side in all my tackle choices.

In your case I would look into the Diawa SS1600 or SS2600. You gain only a slight amount of drag with the 2600 but you may want the higher line capacity. If you use braid the 1600 will overcome the line capacity issues an give a slightly lighter and smaller package. I have used the 1600 on carp up to about 30 pounds. Reel had no problems and easily could of handled more. Exceptionally smooth drag

These reels all day long. I have been using SS tournament reels for about 25 years as well. I just picked up two SS700's for my UL set ups. I have two SS1600's. Highly recommended.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA so mostly fished the rivers for whatever was biting: largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass, sauger & walleyes, hybrid strippers, channel cats and carp. Since the rivers were usually pretty rough on equipment, I usually bought cheap stuff. A few years back I upgraded some of my equipment. Past few years, I've been using a Daiwa SS Tournament 1300 series. Although reviews say it's not a very refine reel, I absolutely love it! Sadly I heard they discontinued this model, so I bought another 1300 series last night. May see if I can find a 700series for a ultra light rig but think the 1300series will make do on an ultra light.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Daiwa SS 2600, super smooth drag, a go to for big fish. I like the Penn SS series too, bronze gears, great drag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always liked Shimano reels. Company is well known for quality gears and bearings on a lot of equipment.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The older Shimanos. The new ones, not so much. I like to have the ability to backreel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just recently spooled up my two 40+ year old Mitchel 300's with metal gears. Landed a lot of steelhead and consider them good friends.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Daiwa BGs are a lot of reel for $100. For a 50# fish I'd go for their 4500 or 5000. Check out Alan Hawk's review. While you're there, take a look at all his spinning reviews. There are certainly more expensive reels if you want to go that way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
The Daiwa BGs are a lot of reel for $100. For a 50# fish I'd go for their 4500 or 5000. Check out Alan Hawk's review. While you're there, take a look at all his spinning reviews. There are certainly more expensive reels if you want to go that way.

I bought a couple of the 1500 series BG's for fishing panfish and have been using them for a few months . They are really good reels with a good drag system.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Always had the urge to try a high end reel. Anyone have any experience with a Shimano Stella?
Or is the Certate a better choice to consider?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guess I'll find out, just ordered a CERTATE LT4000-CXH

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Always had the urge to try a high end reel. Anyone have any experience with a Shimano Stella?
Or is the Certate a better choice to consider?

I love the Stella. Let us know how you like the CERTATE.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pretty much preferred Shimanos until I bought a Pleuger President, tough to beat for a $100, let alone the $50 they go for. The Okuma baitrunners or whatever they are called are nice for bigger fish. I use them in the salt and they hold up well.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Certate is an amazing reel. The smoothless and precision is unbelievable. The drag is rated at 26.5 pounds and is smooth as silk. The adjustment range of the drag seems to be endless. For a medium sized spinning reel the drag puts it in a league of its own. Hope to go fishing this coming week and try it in the water. Only held a Stella in a store but this reel feels every bit as good.
My wife "frowned" on me spending so much on a reel. I handed the reel to her and asked her to look it over and try cranking the handle, about 30 seconds later she told me, "I want one".

Worth the money? To me it is. If I want to spend $75 on a bottle or bourbon or $400 on a reel at my age it doesnt matter. Life is getting shorter and shorter.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Best is very subjective, I like the Shimano Biomaster SW 4000. I preset the drag at 25 pounds, I use it for salt water jigging. You will have to search for one. I had mine brought from Japan! I'm not sure what the exchange rate was, five years ago, but around $450.00 today will put you in the price range! I'm sure some fishing shop can order them. You won't see them at Bass smasher stores!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the Shimano Stradic's, very smooth reel. But I do swap out the OEM drag washers with Carbontex drag washers. I use the reels for perch (1000 Stradic), up to big Lake Michigan Salmon and walleye (2500 Stradic).

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomM1
Pretty much preferred Shimanos until I bought a Pleuger President, tough to beat for a $100, let alone the $50 they go for. The Okuma baitrunners or whatever they are called are nice for bigger fish. I use them in the salt and they hold up well.

Agreed. I bought one on closeout several years back and it's been a great reel.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought a couple Quantum Smoke size 25 spinning reels in early spring for new smallmouth setups. Both freshwater versions they are very lightweight and have great drags. I also picked up a saltwater Inshore S3 size 30 model and am super happy with it as well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

When I was a young fellow and broke the reel of choice was the Daiwa EX tournament series...now I am older and not quite as broke that is the reel I have settled on...and am well pleased with the choice.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fish about 180 days a year and always used the low end shimanos. Switched to Pflueger Presidents and feel they are much better. Much beefier bail and bail spring. Quality smooth reel with a great drag and only around 60 bucks.

living the good life every day
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I fish about 180 days a year and always used the low end shimanos. Switched to Pflueger Presidents and feel they are much better. Much beefier bail and bail spring. Quality smooth reel with a great drag and only around 60 bucks.

Keep an eye on Bass Pro. They have had Pfleuger Presidents on sale intermittently for around $30. I bought two at last opportunity and picked up a couple St Croix Rods for them not long ago. A combination damn hard to beat, if you ask me.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My stradics FG’s were getting some age on them so was looking for a possible replacement. I tried 3 or 4 of the presidents and was not impressed. I picked up several Diawa TD reels and they’ve been in use for three years and are holding up well. Last year I got a deal on some new Shimano and replaced all of my aging reels. For me anyway, Shimano/ Diawa are my choices.

To answer the original question about the Stella is that it is an incredible reel worth the money if you are a serious fisherman. It will last a very long time when a lesser reel would have to be replaced several times.

CK
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

60+ years using spinning gear for all manner of fishing here in PA and NY.
Mitchell 300’s
D-A-M Quick 2000
D-A-M Quick 220N
Penn 4300 SS

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer/
To answer the original question about the Stella is that it is an incredible reel worth the money if you are a serious fisherman. It will last a very long time when a lesser reel would have to be replaced several times.
Crypes for the price one of those Stella reels ought to catch 'em, clean 'em and cook 'em all by itself. I realize I don't fish as much as some here, realistically probably only 30-40 days a year but my god man, my Garcia Cardinal cost 29.99 12 years ago and has caught a boatload of fish. Now I'm sure it ain't as smooth and sophisticated as a Stella but It still shows no sign of giving up the ghost. Same could be said for my Mitchell 300 and 308, which if I remember right, cost about the same. You'd have to burn through about 20 of those reels to equal the cost of one Stella and that would take more years of fishing your ass off to accomplish than most people have on this earth.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by weagle
I started using Zebco Cardinals back in the 70s and that's what I still fish with. Plenty of them available on ebay. Light, smooth and fast; I have some I've been fishing hard for 40+ years.

+1
I figure my oldest - still in use - goes back almost 50 years now. Not quite, but almost!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Poconojack

60+ years using spinning gear for all manner of fishing here in PA and NY.
Mitchell 300’s
D-A-M Quick 2000
D-A-M Quick 220N
Penn 4300 SS

As I recall D-A-M reels were made in Germany......built like Panzers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer/
Crypes for the price one of those Stella reels ought to catch 'em, clean 'em and cook 'em all by itself. I realize I don't fish as much as some here, realistically probably only 30-40 days a year but my god man, my Garcia Cardinal cost 29.99 12 years ago and has caught a boatload of fish. Now I'm sure it ain't as smooth and sophisticated as a Stella but It still shows no sign of giving up the ghost. Same could be said for my Mitchell 300 and 308, which if I remember right, cost about the same. You'd have to burn through about 20 of those reels to equal the cost of one Stella and that would take more years of fishing your ass off to accomplish than most people have on this earth.

To each his own. I have no problem paying for quality if it enhances my enjoyment. I used to have to explain myself every year to folks who just didn't understand how I could catch 2 or 3 fish to their 1. I would explain my technique and so forth, but most of the time, it was simply the fact that the equipment I was using put me at an advantage. Now days, if it is a good friend or someone I trust, I tell them to just bring whatever snacks and such they need, I will provide all of the tackle and gear to include rods and reels. I like to try new stuff as much as the next person, but I know what I like and luckily my job allows me to afford it.

CK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

Am sitting here looking at my new President, waiting on the wife to get ready to go to town to buy some FireLine to spool it up.

Been using low/medium end Shimanos forever. Broke two rods last weekend when my cooler fell on them in my truck trying not to kill a dog in the middle of the road, and decided to go with a Fenwick/Phlueger set up to replace my broken rod.

Hoping it is as good as everyone says, as come tomorrow I will be chasing 20 plus pound cutthroat trout with the new set up! Thanks for the indirect advice all you President fans...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You're going to like that Pflueger President....I own 4 of them. Good reels for the $$

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to several reviews I've read the new Shimano Stradic FL at around $200 (still not inexpensive) has improved features that compare favorably to the newest Stella for over $400 less.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Batchief909
You're going to like that Pflueger President....I own 4 of them. Good reels for the $$

You were right, really enjoyed the new set up. Too bad the fish didn't really cooperate....

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Easy answer-Shimano...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

You were right, really enjoyed the new set up. Too bad the fish didn't really cooperate....

That's the beauty of fishing. At first you don't succeed.... cool

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Starting to replace most of my Shimano's with Diawa Legalis and BG, very impressed.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What’s the quality buy regardless of price

I read that 'regardless of price" and am shaking my head at some of the suggestions.

Look, I love my Pflu presidents and daiwa BG's and sub $100 shimano du jours. I have plenty and use them plenty. I use old Penn 712's all the time, and have some nice old abu's.

But regardless of price is a bold statement, and IMO none of hte above belong in that category. I have a stradic, a baitrunner (old model, thanks) and a slammer. Thats morethan spendy enough for me.

The stradic is a hell of a lot of reel, but even that can be bested by $200 extra.

Start with a slammer or even better the saragosa and go from there. Call stella.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by swag
Starting to replace most of my Shimano's with Diawa Legalis and BG, very impressed.

I have newer daiwa RG AB (at least a step down from legalis) and BG's and am very impressed as well. So much reel for the $

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I recently picked up Pflueger President that I like. If I ever get out again I'll have to review it. Otherwise I have some old walmart shimano reels ax100q,etc.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
diawas are great reels for the money

Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by swag

I have newer daiwa RG AB (at least a step down from legalis) and BG's and am very impressed as well. So much reel for the $

Last edited by ribka; 11/16/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m running two Shimano Stratic CI4’s on steelhead float rigs.
Super lite weight, smooth and fast retrieve at 6.0:1....35” per handle revolution.

While twitching jigs for coho the other day, I found the retrieval rate of the Okuma reel I was using to be too slow.
Too much effort (compared to the Stratic) trying to keep the slack in control and not nearly as smooth.

So, I found myself looking for a deal on another Stratic....
A local dealer is closing out the Stratic FK 2500 series for a good price - enough that I’ve decided to snag two of them!

The FK is the aluminum body version of the CI4 and just a bit heavier - all else is the same.
Neither Stratic is inexpensive, but they are top picks for any serious angler.

You’ll have to spend a lot more $$ to get a better product.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

EWR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Daiwa BG. If new is what you want. 80's vintage Mitchell 300 a if used is ok. I'm still using my Mitchell I bought brand new in 1980.

"My German Shepherd is my best friend,but he could be your worst enemy"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two things I look at right away when comparing spinning reels is line retrieval rate and reel weight.

If rate of retrieve is less than 6.0:1......I turn the page. Faster retrieve = more control and less fatigue.
Weight......ounces = pounds by the end of of a long day of fishing. The bigger and heavier the setup, the more fatigue and user dissatisfaction.

Buy once / cry once, is appropriate here.

BT53

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have been a private guide for 30 some years primarily freshwater in the north. I mention this only to give an example of the hours I spend yearly on the water. I have always liked the older Shimanos, I happen to favor the front spool drag models.
For the first time this year I tried the Abu Garcia Revo SX. Worked exceptionally well. Very impressive.
Primarily used for walleye but I did use it on some lake trout up to 40 lbs and it was great even tho only a #10 size.
The drag systems are liquid smooth these days and will outlive me I'm sure, the lightweight materials in the body and parts components is where I think the expense is.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
B
Penn Battle II is a great choice for both fresh water and surf fishing

I also agree with Batchief909, the president is great too

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looking at a new Pflueger Arbor strictly for casting distance for use below one of our power generation dams.

Will be putting it on a 9 or 10" Southern Crappie Rod.

Pretty much a Pflueger fan myself. Have others but prefer my Pfluegers.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pflueger supreme for spinning. You can get good deals on ebay. I have never paid retail.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Pflueger supreme for spinning. You can get good deals on ebay. I have never paid retail.

This was posted by JimFromTN :
I am an agitator because I don't agree with you and I don't run away because you throw infantile insults at me. I won't play along with your fantasies about fighting the government because they are trying take away your 2nd amendment rights. I am way too old to put up with pre-pubescent fabricated drama. The reality is that they can ban your ar15 and there is nothing you can do about it other than vote those people out and if you don't have the votes then you suck it up and accept it. We live in a republic, as I was earlier corrected, and all we can do is vote for our representatives. You want to die for your right to own an ar15, go ahead. I will be drinking a beer in my recliner watching it unfold on CNN.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Super lite weight, smooth and fast retrieve at 6.0:1....35” per handle revolution.

While twitching jigs for coho the other day, I found the retrieval rate of the Okuma reel I was using to be too slow.
Too much effort (compared to the Stratic) trying to keep the slack in control and not nearly as smooth.

A local dealer is closing out the Stratic FK 2500 series for a good price - enough that I’ve decided to snag two of them!

The FK is the aluminum body version of the CI4 and just a bit heavier - all else is the same.

I’ve been using Stradics as well. Coho on a spinning rod in the open ocean is a blast.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

I’ve been using Stradics as well. Coho on a spinning rod in the open ocean is a blast.

I'll bet!
Two days after buying the two FK's I put one to work on the Rogue.
I caught 3 Coho that day while twitching jigs - all of them natives and had to be released.
The reel worked flawlessly.

BT53

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

I'll bet!
Two days after buying the two FK's I put one to work on the Rogue.
I caught 3 Coho that day while twitching jigs - all of them natives and had to be released.
The reel worked flawlessly.

We were outside the GH buoy outside Westport and a guy hooked a coho while trying to clip his line to the downrigger. A few minutes later, we noticed fish taking a swipe at the chartreuse downrigger clip. I whipped out my spinning rod I keep onboard for rockfish and tied on a 1/2 oz chartreuse and blue jig. Found a bait ball and tossed out the jig. Wham! Its amazing what kind of shoulders they got in 100 feet of water!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Daiwa all day long. Was a Shimano guy,,,, "was"...

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You young whipper-snappers! The majority of my fishing revolves around ultra-light fishing with the Grandkids in the local creeks, ponds, & parks.

My old reels will date me for sure:

Penn 716

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Penn 714

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Both reels products of the 60's. I guess they're antiques..., like me.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Daiwa all day long. Was a Shimano guy,,,, "was"...

x2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have FJ Stradics. They have worked well for me for years. Fresh and salt usage and tough as nails. Little heavier than most but extremely strong and machine work on gears is incredible. I clean them throughly and use Boca bearings and oil wo fail. They’re brutes. I try to buy every good used one I can find.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Diawa Fuego, Shimano Stradic, Pflueger Presidential

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.