Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 340boy
Rock Chuck,
The only fuel I have used in my stoves is the MSR ISOPRO all-season fuel blend. That might be why I am able to make that Jetboil work Ok at low temps?

As far as the altitude is concerned I have run the stoves up to about 12,500 feet and they work OK, though not as well as at 5K.

+1

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canister fuel ratios:

Brunton/Kovea: 0% n-butane, 70% isobutane, 30% propane
Coleman: 60% n-butane, 0% isobutane, 40% propane
Primus: 70% n-butane, 10% isobutane, 20% propane
Peak1: 70% n-butane, 0% isobutane, 30% propane
MSR IsoPro: 0% n-butane, 80% isobutane, 20% propane
JetPower (Jetboil): 0% n-butane, 80% isobutane, 20% propane
Snow Peak: 0% n-butane, 65% isobutane, 35% propane

Recommend the MSR or JetPower for cold temps and higher altitudes. Beyond 10,000 ft, liquid fueled stoves such as white gas or kerosene will give best results.

While propane does work very well in cold temps, a heavier canister is usually required for its transport making it less feasible when carried on your back.

Last edited by SheriffJoe; 03/27/18.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I'm with Montana Marine - I do most of my cooking on the wood stove! It serves two purposes - heat and cooking. I use a TiGoat wifi which weighs around 2 pounds, and I often also bring a pocket rocket and small canister of propane for emergencies and quick heated water. On a sheep hunt in the Brooks range I found that after a week or so the 2 pound wood stove ended up 'lighter' than a jet boil and canisters of fuel. And fuel canisters are also bulky. But best of all - on a wood stove you can cooked slow cooked meals like Zatarains red beans and rice. WAY WAY better food and no heavier than Mountain house and other dehydrated meals. And flour tortillas with baby bell cheese on the wood stove make GREAT quesadillas! Also the wood stove boils water remarkably quickly, and I actually kind of like the camp chore of getting wood together at the end of the day. In the Brooks range near Atigun Pass we found excellent wood up to 4400 feet and on Kodiak we never have a problem with finding wood up to about 2000 feet. Patrick

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
And I'll add that I like the MSR pocket rocket because it is compact. If I just needed a stove to boil water I'd probably bring a reactor or jetboil but those things are sort of bulky. But since I do most of my cooking and water boiling on the wood stove the pocket rocket while slightly inefficient is very compact. Patrick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Canister fuel ratios:

Brunton/Kovea: 0% n-butane, 70% isobutane, 30% propane
Coleman: 60% n-butane, 0% isobutane, 40% propane
Primus: 70% n-butane, 10% isobutane, 20% propane
Peak1: 70% n-butane, 0% isobutane, 30% propane
MSR IsoPro: 0% n-butane, 80% isobutane, 20% propane
JetPower (Jetboil): 0% n-butane, 80% isobutane, 20% propane
Snow Peak: 0% n-butane, 65% isobutane, 35% propane

Recommend the MSR or JetPower for cold temps and higher altitudes. Beyond 10,000 ft, liquid fueled stoves such as white gas or kerosene will give best results.

While propane does work very well in cold temps, a heavier canister is usually required for its transport making it less feasible when carried on your back.
Canisters that fit my old butane stove are no longer made. It used straight butane and it did give me some problems. In the cold, it wouldn't get hot enough to do anything.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Another vote for the wood stove. I have boiled, fried and baked on my Cylinder stove.
For a canister stove, I like the Soto.
Industry insiders have told me that most all of the canister fuel comes from the same factory in Korea.
I have found difference in the major brands of fuel.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some more useful information and site for backpacking stoves:

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/11/whats-best-brand-of-gas-for-cold.html

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For the last 10 or 12 years it's been a pocket rocket, still love the thing enough to have a couple spares , I've also bought each of my 3 kids one.. it does most of what I need. Back in 2007 our family of 5 spent 18 days in Alaska, most of it camping and we managed quite well with one pocket rocket.
Having said that I did pick up a jetboil to try as I found one at a great price.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by handwerk
For the last 10 or 12 years it's been a pocket rocket, still love the thing enough to have a couple spares , I've also bought each of my 3 kids one.. it does most of what I need. Back in 2007 our family of 5 spent 18 days in Alaska, most of it camping and we managed quite well with one pocket rocket.
Having said that I did pick up a jetboil to try as I found one at a great price.

The downside of the Pocket Rocket isn't the Pocket Rocket per se, it's the use of a conventional pot with it. You burn through more fuel than with a Jetboil. There's a breaking point where the slightly heavier Jetboil is "lighter" because of its miserly fuel consumption. However, if you use a Jetboil-style, heat-exchanger pot with the Pocket Rocket, it becomes a whole different stove.

Here's the one to use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OJKI2...hy=9021322&hvtargid=pla-318225566106

http://www.olicamp.com/products-pots/xts-pot

Here's a thread I started about it four years ago:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8603507/1

What came to light is you have to use a Pocket-Rocket style burner that shoots straight up (like the Jetboil) to realize lower fuel consumption. Stoves with side flame (like the Snowpeak) realized little or no fuel savings.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

The downside of the Pocket Rocket isn't the Pocket Rocket per se, it's the use of a conventional pot with it. You burn through more fuel than with a Jetboil. There's a breaking point where the slightly heavier Jetboil is "lighter" because of its miserly fuel consumption. However, if you use a Jetboil-style, heat-exchanger pot with the Pocket Rocket, it becomes a whole different stove.

Here's the one to use:

What came to light is you have to use a Pocket-Rocket style burner that shoots straight up (like the Jetboil) to realize lower fuel consumption. Stoves with side flame (like the Snowpeak) realized little or no fuel savings.

That's interesting as well as helpful.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Here's the one to use:

I go away for a while and come back and you goobers are STILL talking about the same things! +1 on Brad's post above. Four years later and I'm still using the Pocket Rocket and loving that Olicamp XTS. In fact, used it just a couple weeks ago on an overnight bikepacking trip.

Funny, I came here looking for the stove information we discussed several years ago, started digging through old threads, gave up and came to this subforum and there it was. That was a good thread 4 years ago that Brad links to above.

You guys carry on...

Last edited by snubbie; 03/30/18.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not the weight of the cast iron stove, but the 50lb sack of potatoes shifting that throws me off my stride.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Another thumbs-up for the Olicamp XTS pot.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Primus ETA pot is similar to the XTS, having the heat exchanger. We have a 1.8L ETA pot. Not exactly lightweight compared to some stuff, but not bad if you want a bigger pot.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That little alcohol stove I bought showed up today. Spent $16 including shipping , have to say I’m really impressed with the quality and the burner works great. I’ve spent more and got a lot less.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Lightweight-...868475218?_mwBanner=1&epid=711245563

Also bought this. Tedhorn makes a different version that I’m sure works great but I really like this so far.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Hunting-Backpack-Rifle-Sling-Holder-Fits-all-Backpacks-and-Binocular-Harness/281862259414?hash=item41a04cc2d6:g:Li0AAOSw6dNWTbyz

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hunted with a guy who used an MSR Reactor, I thought it was pretty slick. Surprised no one has mentioned that one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
I hunted with a guy who used an MSR Reactor, I thought it was pretty slick. Surprised no one has mentioned that one.

It's heavy.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

It's heavy.

This was on a walk-in Alaska sheep hunt. He probably brought it for its heat output and capacity to warm up the tent with two sopping wet hunters inside.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear very good things about the Reactor, as well as the Windburner. I just wish they could shave 6oz off the weight and add a piezo ignition feature-the titanium Jetboil has spoiled me. laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Here's the one to use:

Hikin Jim (the website Sheriff posted above) did a test of this theory. His results showed that its actually a pretty narrow window where the efficiency makes for a lighter overall load. Basically only works out that way if the efficiency allows you to carry a smaller fuel bottle (bring a 4oz canister instead of needing an 8oz with a pocket rocket style). As soon as you need the 8oz for the jet boil type systems, you're back to carrying extra weight. See below, its a good read.

Jetboil vs Canister Article

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 78 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.