-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
what kind of accuracy should I expect to see at 100 yards with a cz 455 in 22 mag

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Although I do not own a CZ BUTT 5 other firearms in 22 Mag. We are lucky with the amount of bullet types & weights that are available toatday it is a lot easier to find the right ammo for your rifle.

My rifles will average 1" with their preferred ammo -just remember that there is HUGH difference between what kind of groups your rifle CAN shoot vs how well U Can shoot those groups. @
100yds as there are FEW days that conditions will allow

The Hornady & Winchester "White Box" are good choices to start with

Good Luck

Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I own CZ’ in 22 and 22mag. About as accurate a factory rimfire as you will find. Never heard of anyone complain. Plus the fit and finish is superb

Last edited by hikerbum; 02/22/18.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Got a used 22 mag barrel for my 455. It’s only been on for a couple trips and not a huge variety of ammo shot. The Honady 30g did well. Holes touching or very close at 50 yards. About 1 1/2” at 100 yards. Had a few fliers out of 50. Each though could easily be my fault. Win, Amscore, groups were much bigger. I hope to shoot it more once the weather allows.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mine was mediocre at best. I sold it. It was just under 1.5" with Hornady 30s, everything else had to work to get under 2", and only barely did that. That 455 was always a PITN. I sold it and bought an RAR stainless, but I still haven't got it out to 100 yards yet. At 50 yards, I'm not impressed much. I hope that it does better at 100 yards, I suspect it will, it's got a centerfire scope and the parallax should work better at distance.

I can outshoot it with my .22 Hornet, and do it cheaper, at that.

That said, I still want to give the WMR a fair shake, and the little Ruger seems to be a nice little gun. I like the GUN better than the cartridge (I have a .22LR in the Predator version that's nice, too).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I had a 455 .22 Mag, as you probably already know CZ bolt action rimfires are very high quality for the money, My 455 .22Mag was a 1/2-3/4" rifle @50yds and 1.25-1.5" @100yds....I have never experienced stellar accuracy out of any .22Mag like I have out of dozens of .22lrs of various makes and models, I dont think the .22Mag cartridge is as inherently accurate as a .22lr cartridge, and it doesnt help any that there are so few factory loads available for the magnum unlike the dozens of different match grade ammo available for the .22lr.......Hb

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[quote=VaHillbilly]....I have never experienced stellar accuracy out of any .22Mag... /quote]

I'm with Hillbilly, and I've owned a bunch of 22 mags (Rugers, Marlins, Savages, etc) over the years. My 455 22 mag averages about 1.25" at 100 yards with ammo it like. Sure I'll get a few 1/2" fluke groups, but then it will toss one out to almost 2". It's a great small varmint round out to 100 yards, but it's will never be a target round.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
The current production ammo for 22 mag will always hold its accuracy potential back.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Vasquez956
The current production ammo for 22 mag will always hold its accuracy potential back.

Exactly.........Hb

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Vasquez956

Conventional internet talk. But as often the case is somewhat off base. Indeed, you cannot purchase ultra expensive match grade ammo or even special sub sonic ammo.You can approach honest 1 moa results with a good rifle. I dont consider that a "hold back" for a "hunting" rimfire.

The OP did not say he wanted a target rifle. If he does then he might buy one that shoot target ammo. He asked a very simple question, what to expect from cz in 22 mag.

I went through two Rugers to find one american that will hold 1.25 center to center spread for 5 shots at 100 yards. That is an honest average. The load is one of the 30 grain vmax. Now, I let the gun choose the load and not the other way around. I see no point in quoting the worse ammo. I test and I use what works. I guess I was lucky because I wanted a 30 grain polymer tip load. And I was willing to buy two rifles to keep one.

I also have a 452 varmint and it will do an average 1 inch at 100 yards with another of the polymer tip 30 grain loads. It also appears that it might be even more accurate with one of the 40 grain loads. I forgot which. I decided to curtail testing an just stick with the 30 grain load. I dont have any 455 to compare, they should be similar. Or close. You never know. Unlike Ruger, I was able to buy to CZ and keep them both. More money, nicer guns - no big surprise. I follow the talk on rfc and CZ will produce the occasional dud. Maybe more recent? It is hard to gauge.

All rimfire ammo is known to vary from lot to lot. That sorting and QC is a big part of why match grade ammo is very expensive. There is IMHO no market for match grade hunting ammo. I could be wrong, I do not need that. I have 22LR for that purpose. That is all subsonic 22LR. The 22 mag might stay super sonic to 100 if some demand existed for that in fancy European loaded match grade ammo. Probably looking at $50 a box cost. To make a 22 caliber hole in paper. might as well go center fire.Regardless of my opinion, basically no 22mag target grade rifle and no match grade ammo. No Olympic events in 22mag. yes, agreed.

I have shot my cz 22mag side by side with cz 17 mag with similar polymer tip ammo from the same makers. Hornady and CCI. My 452 22mg is about as accurate as my friends 452 in 17. My gun is a little better though. Call it the same. I could test more ammo. But we are not competing like that. Just sighting in or killing time at the range, Maybe some variable is working in my advantage. Probably random variation in guns. If you have been shooting the polymer tip technology in 17, you can expect the same accuracy fro the 22. The22 will be a little heavier hitting round with a trade off in trajectory. The 22LR is a distant last for any hunting scenario that interest me. The LR does shin in other areas.

Now some web posters are getting 1/2" at 100 with the CZ 17. The some web posters are getting 0.2" at 50 with CZ 22lr. That may well happen. I have not seen it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by fourbore
[quote=Vasquez956]
I have shot my cz 22mag side by side with cz 17 mag with similar polymer tip ammo from the same makers. Hornady and CCI. My 452 22mg is about as accurate as my friends 452 in 17. My gun is a little better though. Call it the same.

He got a bad one then. Most CZ 17HMR's are under 1 MOA at 100 yards, provided the wind isn't acting up. I've yet to shoot a consistent 1 MOA 22 WMR in any brand. The HMR has pretty well been proven to be the more accurate cartridge, but I much prefer the WMR for hunting anything larger than squirrels.

Last edited by Timbo; 03/09/18.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After three years of ownership, I have not yet been able to coordinate shooting time with a perfect no-wind day for shooting slow moving .22RF bullets. One day started out perfect in which it put three 30gr V-max's into one hole at 50yds. A couple other brands were 3/8 and 1/2" at only 50yds. As I was moving the target to 100, a side wind picked up and attempting to get a decent group there was pointless.

There are posts over at Rimfirecentral about the accuracy of 35gr CCI A22 (rediculously expensive) and CCI 40gr Game Points being very accurate in the CZ455. I did get some of each this winter to try when it warms up. Seems like many of us are getting better accuracy with jacketed bullets in the CZ's. If these expensive pills work out for me, they will be used for hunting only.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried two .22 mags, a 455 and a 9422. Neither would averager better than 3/4" at 50 with any of the ammo I tried. I decided that my Hornet was a better choice for that power range.

That level of accuracy would be fine for hunting the stuff I consider the mag appropriate for. For fun shooting, I think the Hummer is the way to go. I just bought another 455 in SS, and when I can get one, I'll buy a SS Hummer barrel for it, just to try it out. Not really sold on the changeable barrel notion, but it's a cheap way to try the .17 out.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cumminscowboy: I brokered (was the go -between, informant, salesman, money handler, deliverer) the sale of a heavy barrel CZ in caliber 22 Magnum a few years back between two friends of mine.
My friend from Yelm, Washington wanted to sell it to me after a few months ownership. He had raved about the accuracy (down to 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards) and the great trigger.
Two reasons I did not buy it was my inability to become comfortable with the bassackwards safety and my unbridled enthusiasm over the 17 HMR for similar uses.
I wish I had bought it now.
My other friend who bought the Rifle just loves it and has killed all manner of Varmints and a Wild Turkey or two with it.
He also raves about its accuracy.
I will get a phone call off to verify the Model number of that heavy barreled CZ in 22 Magnum but if you are about to make a decision on whether or not to buy a CZ rimfire on the probability of accuracy I would opt for the CZ!
Its RARE to find a CZ rimfire that is anything less than "rather accurate"!
Good luck which ever way you go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.