24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
E
Somewhat, but still louder than a compound bow more a clunk when you shoot.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Did the dampeners work well?

Not sure if this was directed at me or not??? If so, I'd say it helped but nothing drastic. Every little bit helps though in my opinion! I'm planning to order new arrows that are heavier than the ones that come with the Ravin ... I think that should make a more noticeable difference.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Emuckfwa
Somewhat, but still louder than a compound bow more a clunk when you shoot.

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Did the dampeners work well?

Not sure if this was directed at me or not??? If so, I'd say it helped but nothing drastic. Every little bit helps though in my opinion! I'm planning to order new arrows that are heavier than the ones that come with the Ravin ... I think that should make a more noticeable difference.

Thanks for the replies. It was directed to anyone that has experience. LOL

I've got a R9 on order and will order a set.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first crossbow continues to be daily fun and enjoyment for me. I shoot it in my basement and it's staying sighted in and hitting the target right near it's center.

It's something I can do with no noise and it's good practice.

Last edited by Savage_99; 06/07/17.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just got my first crossbow today different brand. I was shooting it to sight in at 20 yards. I'm guessing the 10th shot It sounded funny. I looked at it and one of the limbs split.The Brand has a good reputation for customer service. I hope they live up to their reputation.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I'm also open to suggestions on broadheads for my crossbow, if anyone knows what might shoot good out of it??? I am currently shooting the solid 1piece machined G5 Montecs from my current compound setup and really like them. Might try similar with my Ravin.

I have killed deer with 2 blade Zwickeys, 2 inch rages, 3 blade Muzzy trocars, 3 blade NAP thunderheads and 4 blade NAP crossfires. All worked just fine. half of the deer were shot through the heart. The rest were equally well hit.

I was very surprised to see the lung damage on two identical hits with the 4 blade NAPs produced quite noticeably more lung damage (both were center lung double lung hits). My wife who holds the light when I am gutting made note of the damage as soon as I opened the chest. Both deer went almost identical distance after the shot. Both deer started heavy bleeding much sooner. Both deer were reduced to a wobbly walk by 20 yards. Both deer went a little less distance than I averaged with other heads. I bough more of them and will shoot moredeer with them this year in the hope that I see more of the same and that those two were not just coincidence which I consider a good possibility.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I just got my first crossbow today different brand. I was shooting it to sight in at 20 yards. I'm guessing the 10th shot It sounded funny. I looked at it and one of the limbs split.The Brand has a good reputation for customer service. I hope they live up to their reputation.

Wow! That would be a heartbreaker! Hope you can get it taken care of.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Great news today! If I'm reading this link correctly, I think my home state of Illinois just passed new law yesterday of full inclusion of Xbows for everyone during entire archery season. That would be great! I'll definitely be getting the opportunity to put the smack down on a deer this Fall with my Raviin. That's exciting! Looking forward to a new style of hunting.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...AID=14&SessionID=91&LegID=104353

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ricky- just North of you in Wis. You probably already know we passed a similar reg here three seasons ago. I messed up my drawing arm so went with a Mission that I have been very happy with. They are a little cumbersome compared to conventional bows but they really shoot! Good luck. Bruce

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up a Ravin R9. I have messed up my shoulder and won't be able to shoot a bow for a while and thought this might be fun. It's an awesome bow. I really like how narrow it is and the trigger is fantastic. Lots of personal preference for guys with crossbows but for me the narrow profile is what won me over. I have a PSE Fang that I bought mainly for the kids. My son missed a deer with it last year because the limb hit the window of the blind. I also missed a turkey earlier this year with a Scorpyd that also hit the side of the blind on the shot. The turkey didn't run off and I was able to reposition and make a clean kill on the second but it is still nice to have something compact and narrow for a treestand or blind situation.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and shooting this thing more. Very slick.

Lee

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ebby
I just picked up a Ravin R9. I have messed up my shoulder and won't be able to shoot a bow for a while and thought this might be fun. It's an awesome bow. I really like how narrow it is and the trigger is fantastic. Lots of personal preference for guys with crossbows but for me the narrow profile is what won me over. I have a PSE Fang that I bought mainly for the kids. My son missed a deer with it last year because the limb hit the window of the blind. I also missed a turkey earlier this year with a Scorpyd that also hit the side of the blind on the shot. The turkey didn't run off and I was able to reposition and make a clean kill on the second but it is still nice to have something compact and narrow for a treestand or blind situation.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and shooting this thing more. Very slick.

Lee

I think you'll really like that Ravin! I can't wait to hunt with mine this Fall.

Best of Luck with your new R9!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My bow came back last Friday haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet. But I am pleased with the speed they fixed it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We've been selling the heck out of the Ravin R9 and R15. A buddy of mine bought one (R15) and I helped him sight it in. Fast and accurate. He shot three arrows into a group the size of a dip can at 60 yards.

And yes, I watched him shoot it at 100. Three arrows into about a 6" group. He said he had no intentions of shooting at a deer that far, but said coyotes were in trouble if they came by his stand this fall!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Troy66
RB
Save your money and buy a Center Point Sniper 370. Read all the reviews on the different web sites.It is compared to a Ten Point crossbow in the $1000 range, but costs around $260. I have had the trigger adjusted for around $80. This is my second cross bow first being a Excalibur. You want to talk noisy go shoot the Excalibur.I have No complaints with the sniper 370

For an entry level xbow, the Sniper is an excellent value. Even though manufactured in China, it offers very good quality and features for the $$.

You can find it for around $225 shipped on Ebay or from Molly's Outfitters here for $239 shipped.

http://mymollys.com/product/centerpoint-sniper-370-camo-crossbow-package/

For those wishing to save money on a viable xbow target, you can stuff a large box with plastic bags or shrink wrap and tape/paint box to your liking. It will stop a bolt traveling in excess of 300fps without damage to vanes.

SD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going with crossbow version (red collar) 100 grain Rage Hypodermic broadheads for my R9. For deer

Last edited by cooperfan; 08/14/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just bought the R15 too. So far I'm impressed! Very user friendly, easy to cock, accurate, handles great!
Have had one issue so far, the serving on the string was starting to separate..Called Ravin CS and they sent a new string and cables
the next day. Time will tell but I love it so far!

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Barnet cross bow's trigger mec. broke. It's jammed.

It was fun shooting it in the basement as they are quiet.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Back to the rifles.

That 150 dollar crossbow didn't turn out to be such a bargain aye.. The old addage, you get what you pay for looks like it came to fruition here.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Highoctane

Back to the rifles.

That 150 dollar crossbow didn't turn out to be such a bargain aye.. The old addage, you get what you pay for looks like it came to fruition here.

Highoctane:

What crossbows do you use and recommend?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Highoctane

Back to the rifles.

Highoctane:

What crossbows do you use and recommend?

I have owned Mission and Tenpoint crossbows. I currently have a Tenpoint FX4. I understand that discretionary, slush-fund income varies among people and I also understand that there are some that simply will not spend upwards and in excess of 1k or more for a bow but when I decided to get into crossbows I wanted a QUALITY built weapon that I could be confident in and base my decision on the other points that crossbow hunting offers rather than be "soured" by a bow that wasn't reliable. Simply put, I didn't want a cheaply built bow to be the weak link or the deciding factor in my decision on whether I liked crossbow hunting or not.

Crossbows are immensely powerful weapons. We're talking from 130 lb and upward of 200 for limbs on compound style to over 300 lb limbs on some recurve style. It takes a well designed and built bow to take that kind of abuse shot after shot. Stewart-Haas Racing doesn't contract the local auto parts store brand for their racing engine needs.

As far as my recommendation, I'm partial to Tenpoint but there are some REALLY good bows, albeit not cheap, out there. Mission, Scorpyd, Horton, Darton, Parker, etc. If I was "looking" for a bow I would first figure out what I could spend. Remember, there's always the route of "gently used" bows. Then I would evaluate my hunting style, tree stands, ground blinds, stalking etc. Then I would start researching bows that fit my style. I would also peruse some of the crossbow forums, crossbow nation, AT's crossbow area etc and read what others are saying, but always read with a subjective mind. As we know, some are just disgruntled and want to be argumentative about everything.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
362 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 43 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.