Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I’m relatively new to western hunting and am looking to increase my effective range. Thus far I have been limiting myself to 300 yard maximum shots. I have stalked closer on a couple occasions when I haven’t been sure of the range. It seems a rangefinder would be useful for confirming distance and extending my range when getting closer isn’t possible. I have never owned a rangefinder.....

Can aanyone recommend a good, basic rangefinder that could range deer at 500-600 yards? I don’t want to buy junk, but definitely don’t need some milspec unit that costs 2k. Are there any high quality, but older used units I should keep an eye open for? I’m hoping that because I don’t need to range 1000 yards that I can get a higher quality shorter range model. Recommendations? I do understand that the ratings are for large reflective targets.

Unfortunately I need to uprgade some other equipment as well (sleeping pad, bag, clothing) so I’m trying to keep price somewhat reasonable.
Cheers!

KT

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a deal on a Zeiss PRF 8x26 for only $399.99. IMO, for that price, it is a great buy on a great unit.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
the deal Doug has above is a good one, and I would keep an eye out for used leicas in the classifieds.........I picked up a like new 1600B for a song here last year.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cry once, used Leica will get you there.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
What used Leica models would suffice for my needs, ranging deer at 500 yards? What price range would I be looking at for said used Leica?

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If your are really looking to save $$ the Bushnell Scout 1000 with ARC has served me very well for Coues hunting in AZ. Think it is at least 6 years old now and it covers the ranges you talked about.

Not saying I wouldn't like to upgrade, but I can't complain at all about it's function.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The new Nikon image stabilized 3000 has my interest.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to beat the Sig Kilo thats out now. They really raised the bar in LRF performance.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Doug @ Cameraland was a big help for me, fortunately my Leica was an easy fix.

Bear in mind all the RF I looked at had only a 2 year warranty.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just got in one of each, demos in awesome condition:

Leica Rangemaster CRF 2700-B #40545 for $699.99

Leica CRF Rangemaster 1600 #40537 for $449.99

Only 1 of each, so if you're interested please give us call, 516-217-1000

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I guess I may need to hold off longer so that I don’t end up buying junk. I have been prioritizing other stuff (pack, boots, sleep gear etc) that would keep me from getting out and hunting at all. I’ve gotten by without a rangefinder for years so I guess I can last a bit longer if needed. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vortex Ranger 1000 does just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
leica, ziess or swaro, buy used if you have to. save your money on the various junk bushnell's leupolds, nikons and vortex units. also when and if you upgrade the top 3 brands will keep their value much better.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
leica, ziess or swaro, buy used if you have to. save your money on the various junk bushnell's leupolds, nikons and vortex units. also when and if you upgrade the top 3 brands will keep their value much better.

The Swaro Laser Guide has to be bought used.........Want to ask why? Let me guess, you spoke to a Swaro rep and he said they are still being made.

OP, whatever you get, make sure the company has outstanding customer service. Most if not all electronic stuff only has a limited warranty (2 years). I am convinced that my long out of warranty Swaro Laser Guide would get fixed by Swaro for little to no cost because of their customer service.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

The Swaro Laser Guide has to be bought used.........Want to ask why? Let me guess, you spoke to a Swaro rep and he said they are still being made.

OP, whatever you get, make sure the company has outstanding customer service. Most if not all electronic stuff only has a limited warranty (2 years). I am convinced that my long out of warranty Swaro Laser Guide would get fixed by Swaro for little to no cost because of their customer service.

I'd bet on you being right about Swaro.

I'd also state that my Leupy 1200i has been much better than the two POS Leica 1200's I had. Neither one would range in low light, or past 500'ish in good light.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 16bore
Vortex Ranger 1000 does just fine.

I used a friends vortex last week and it worked well. I don't know if other mfgr.s have a an honest lifetime guarantee on the entire unit.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another vote for the Vortex Ranger. If warranty is important to you, go with Vortex. They are the only company that has a lifetime warranty on their rangefinder. Again, if warranty matters, avoid Leica like the plague. There are a lot of horror stories about Leica warranty, and I am one of them. I have a Vortex Ranger, and just disposed of my Leica CRF 1200.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran the Vortex and Sig side by side in rain, fog, sun, early, late, blah, blah....only different was vortex stopped at 1000 yards. And trying to get the Sig to read "way out there" rarely worked. I'm talking highway signs and buildings from the top of another building.

Round bails at 1,000 did fine with both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
....and don't worry, Stick will be along soon to me I'm wrong.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Vortex has the best warranty so lowest used risk, the Sigs are very good and so are the Leupold models. Don’t go hunting in open country this year without a range finder, I’ve gotten great service from a Bushnell a Nikon, and now a Leica. You can buy a new Leupold on sale for less than $200 that will do everything you need.

When you get to your morning spot set your 300 yard circle and if you are sighted in at 200 yards with a modern caliber every shot inside that is point & shoot. That is a huge time saver and can be the difference between success and failure.

Your rangefinder is not nearly as critical as your rifle scope - it’s OK to save money on that purchase - the difference in yardage reads between a bargain Vortex or Leupold or Sig and the most expensive models is seldom more tha 2 yards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
750 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 85 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.