Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Problem is with a muzzle loader, but folks here use the same sort of sight set up.

I have a slight by very distracting issue with a tang peep sight installed on a 54 Hawken replica. In use, it gives the appearance of there being a small piece of lint or fuzz going from the edge originating at about 2:00 o’clock and reaching to the center of one’s field of view in the aperture. Functional, but again distracting. Full or partial rotations of the eye piece generate the same illusion from the same angle. Removing the hammer (slightly ahead and to the right side of the sight) has no effect. Removing the barrel leaves the same result, and with the barrel off and a white paper towel along the full length of the stock it’s still there.

I’ve run wire, thread, and compressed air through the aperture again with no effect. Completely buffaloed. Same appearance when light is coming from behind, the sides, or from near directly ahead. Suggestions or thoughts appreciated?

Thank you,

1Minute
BP-B2

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Troops:

Got a quick solution from the Shilo site. Aperture is too small. Dug out a Hadley eyepiece that I'd not tried yet for a Sharps. Started with the smallest aperture having the same issue, and stepped up to successively larger openings. About 1/3 of the way through the series, the issue went away.

As the great Pooh Bear once said, "Sorry for being a bother."

Last edited by 1minute; 01/07/18.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Although counterintuitive, what you discovered is that smaller is better (aim small, miss small) isn't always true when it comes to aperture sights. Larger is often better, especially for us older folks.

Best is to try different sizes and rear/front combos with different targets and different light conditions, and learn what works best for you.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some times that can happen if the staff isn't far enough forward or back for the angle of the stock and your head position as well.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the same problem with two Williams peeps aboard a Marlin 444 and my 1895 Winchester..Although not staff sights of course the problem was a PITA anyway and only rectified by changing inserts until the sight picture cleared up..My first attempt mirrored your experience to the T thought sure there was dirt,lint or some other obstruction..The only gremlin in my case were aging peepers and the wrong size hole to look through..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
That is a defect in your eyeball. I have the same issue and I have to use a larger aperture.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've found (over a LOT of years) that a much larger aperature does not increase groups by a lot
Failure to practice regularly does, however! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.