S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mliang
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Originally Posted by mliang
Other than being left handed, you'll be much better off with a Winchester or Kimber. And they are cheaper with better customer service.

Had plenty of Kimber Montana's and like a bit more weight than that. Currently have a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless Featherweight in a McMillan edge and some other smith work to shoot well. That is my favorite hunting rifle but it's definitely not cheaper than a Montana X3 if they're good to go out of the box.

Now your comparing a full custom Winchester to a semi-custom MRC. I've seen plenty of Winchesters with Mcmillan stocks on here for cheaper than MRC. The reason everyone seems to be talking about the X3 is because of the lightweight, but the Kimbers are around the same weight. I never had to deal with Kimber's CS. But there is no way it was worse than MRC's, when I had to deal with them. One of the worst experiences with a company I ever had.

But if we are throwing in Tikka's into the mix, I would go with a Tikka all day long. I've never heard of one that had any problems or won't shoot. I know there has to be a few lemons that slipped through but generally Tikka will shoot very well.

Definitely not a full custom just a Classic Stainless Featherweight in a McMillan edge with bedding, trigger work, Williams bottom metal and extractor. I would love to do the same thing in 30-06 but there's no way that will happen for less than the cost of a new 30-06 MRC X3 hence this thread.

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interestingly I had an X2 in my hand on Tuesday. It felt good in the hand - except the weight. They are tanks. This one also had a bipod and Bushnell 4200 scope in Leup steel mounts/rings. It must have weighed 10 lbs as set up. It was a 270 too boot. Nothing like a 10 lb 270 to drag up the elk mountains.

I just talked to them and they claim the X3 weighs 14 oz less than the X2 - which is a good thing. I asked about the stock dimensions and they had no idea, which irritates the heck out of me.

One of you guys need to buy a new X3 and report back 😎

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got to say I talked to Dean back in February, he seems like a great guy responded in a fast manner to my email, much better than some gun makers, some of them never even replied.

My question to Dean was about a 6.5 PRC in a left hand X2 version. That is when he informed me about the X3 IN A 6.5 PRC, probably weighing in around 6 pounds or so, I don't think he knew the exact weight yet.

NEVER GIVE UP
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have a few Tikka rifles and they are great rifles but if we are talking chitty CS Beretta has some of the worst I have ever experienced, I had a Sako 85 that was plagued with the well known ( straight up) ejection issue and they refused to admit the rifle even had an issue ...😂😂.....Hb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have a few Tikka rifles and they are great rifles but if we are talking chitty CS Beretta has some of the worst I have ever experienced, I had a Sako 85 that was plagued with the well known ( straight up) ejection issue and they refused to admit the rifle even had an issue ...😂😂.....Hb

Agree with the Sako ejecting straight up issue. Beretta needs to be better about it. Thankfully, Tikka does not have this problem. And personally, I think the Tikka is a smoother action than the Sako.

I also agree with bwinters, the MRC action is heavy. It feels clunkier to me than a Kimber and Winchester, which is what I prefer in a CRF rifle, even without my CS nightmare. But that's just my opinion.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have the X2 in 243, shoots great, action was smooth. No complaints.
I have the X3 in 6.5 Creedmoor, actually ordered an X2 and received an X3. I haven't shot it yet, but is definitely lighter than the 243.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How much does the X3 weigh?

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yes, weigh it (bare rifle) please..👍.....Hb

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like that rifle, For stand hunting weight doesn't matter. reminds me of a heavy Montana

A
A
I just received a lefty 338 win mag last month. It weighs 6.75 lbs. happy with it so far. Ordered an x2. back in November and received the x3.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Excellent info Charlie, 6.75 lbs is right where I like the bare weight of a magnum bolt action rifle, It has enough weight for me to hold steady for the shot but still light enough for me to tote in the mountains.......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they offer this thing in a 6.5 PRC, I am pretty sure I am going to be out the $1300 or so bucks it will cost me.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Paul, I was thinking the same thing!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sent an email to MRC on the weight of an X3 in 30-06. They said it should weigh 6.4 lbs - rifle alone. That would work if true.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think they got alot of feedback on the many rifles they have sold in the last 3 or 4 years. Aside from some poor QC and CR issues I imagine most of what they heard was along the lines I like the rifle but would love it if were around a pound lighter. That is how I feel about my x2. I have kind of kept up with MRC as I feel they are making a good effort for a smaller manufacturer trying to offer many calibers in both left and right hand and doing some customization for you at the factory. Now reacting to request to lighten up. They have some issues but I hope they can get them worked out.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Boarmaster, MRC has Bad QC? Thats not good news, have you had issues with your X2?.....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=VaHillbilly]Boarmaster, MRC has Bad QC? Thats not good news, have you had issues with your X2?.....Hb[/quote
My safety was very hard to move. I mean harder than one should ever be. Serveral others that bought around the same time had the issue. One in particular was so tight that I handled I put it back in the box and told the FFL I think somethings messed up. He grabbed it and pushed it and it did move but he said "dang". When I emailed them they said they had a fix for that and to send it back. I wanted to shoot the rifle to see if I had any other issues before sending it back. There were no other issues and the rifle shoots great. I spent a lot of time just moving it back and forth over and over. It has gotten better but really I should work more smoothly. These are things I feel should be caught at the factory. Especially after a four month wait. There are other reports here on the fire of things that should have been caught before shipping.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boarmaster, MRC has Bad QC? Thats not good news, have you had issues with your X2?.....Hb

And I wrote "some poor qc " not Bad QC. Overall I dont think they have a bad rifle at all.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 04/09/18.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I agree, a safety that hard to move should have been caught at the factory, no excuss in that but poor QC....At least your rifle does shoot good though 👍........We talkin MOA with factory ammo maybe?....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I agree, a safety that hard to move should have been caught at the factory, no excuss in that but poor QC....At least your rifle does shoot good though 👍........We talkin MOA with factory ammo maybe?....Hb

Yes it will now shoot Hornady American Whitetail and Federal Premium Nosler BTs under1 inch groups and regular old green box Rem Corelokts consistantly 1.25. And honestly thats as good as I can shoot. The Federals really feed the slickest of the bunch. All feed good no issue but you can just feel the Federals are running really smooth. The more I shoot it the better it seems to get. Not sure if its me or the rifle.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
398 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.