24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I, have two Shimano Spriex 500 that I have been fishing with just about exclusively for over 25 years, maybe not the smoothest but they work for me. Problem, is they, discontinued them some years ago and I bought the last of the bail springs they had in stock years ago, I'm down to one spare now. I like the double paddle reels and they seem to be out of fashion now days. Don't know what to get once I break my last spring.

As mentioned by someone above the reel is not a winch, I have landed many 10#-15# Blues with these little reels and 6# line. Landed few spotted Gar in the 15#+ range too, it is all in the drag.

90% of my fishing is on the Caddo River here in SW Arkansas for Smallmouth, Kentucky Bass, and Blue Catfish.

There is a war on America and America is losing
GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pflueger President Model's for me as well. I use them on all my crappie trolling rods from 8ft to 14ft.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Pflueger President Model's for me as well. I use them on all my crappie trolling rods from 8ft to 14ft.

Same here, I have 5 of them, great reels for the money.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by 65BR
I have had various Pfluegers, and later p/u some Shimano's. No issues with either. Most are the smaller ones I use for freshwater.

What fish are you targeting?

Cat’s mostly. Redfish secondary.

On Cat's - assume freshwater, those really large fish you want a 3000 or larger reel, and I'd use braid. On Redfish, a Penn Battle, 3000 as would a few of the mid priced Shimano's will do great. You will be casting often, so reel weight IMHO matters alot, I want LIGHT, but enough reel for the job. The Penn might be heavier than others, a Shimano is often lighter, and the more you pay the lighter you can get. Reel balance depends on the rod you put it on.....regarding the comment above.

I'd buy a cheap Pflueger President in 40 size but no smaller than 35 for Cats. You can swap reels for chasing Reds, but I might just have a less expensive albeit medium heavy to heavy action rod for the cats. The Redfish you probably want a Medium on the light end, but a Medium heavy might be best if you are throwing heavier baits and often hooking larger fish.

Talk to the guys at the counter at your local tackle stores for some of their input as well. I'd go as light weight a set up on the Redfish gear since you will cast often, but you need strong / stout enough rod and reel for the bigger ones as they do fight hard as you know.

Good fishing!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If money's not a concern look into a Daiwa Certate reel. Most of your upper end reels are Japan issue only. I've been using Shimano Stradic's forever, had the itch and the cash for something different. Bought the Certate. I ended up with the 1000 series, used mostly for smallmouth and walleye. It's one sweet reel.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done just fine running my old MItchell's. You just have to keep some extra bail springs around for them. I run several Schimano's and like them too, but am thinking about cleaning house and going to the Pfleuggers. My buddy runs them and I've had a chance to handle a couple of his and really like them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought my first ever Pfleugger last fall and so far I am very pleased. Time will only tell how long I am pleased. In the past I have been a big Schimano user and wanted to try the Pfleugger based on some advice I read in this forum. Dang thing is smooth on the retrieve for sure.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the money, around $30, Shimano Sienna FD. No sealed bearings so hose it off good if you use it for saltwater otherwise it's got almost all of the features of their more expensive reels. I've never caught a really big fish on my 2500 model but I've used it for freshwater and salt water surf fishing for around six years and so far it's worked as well as my 2500 Stradic for about 15% of the cost.

They discontinued the FD model a year or so ago but you can still find them on ebay. They replaced it with the Sienna FE, less bearings and a composite body. For all I know it's as good as the FD. Shimano makes good reels.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Shimano Stradic followed by Penn Fierce and Battle. They have been my choices for years. Salt, fresh, brackish, inshore and blue water. Have served me well. Flush w fresh water. They just work. Tight lines.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For freshwater LMB, etc. I have used the Pflueger President 35, but recently bought one of the new 2500 Daiwa Fuego LT models - spooled with 10 lb. PowerPro braid, liking it so far. For bream I have a little Pflueger Trion 25 - surprisingly smooth and durable for a cheap reel. For saltwater surf, and pier I use the Daiwa BG or the old Penn Conflict reels in the medium and large sizes (5000 & 6000). I have a couple of 2500 size Shimano Safari FE reels spooled with light braid that came with the used boat I own - two years of regular use and they are smooth as silk.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was a shimano man for years but their quality and reliability has went down in the last few years. I have been using pfluger supreme reels with good service in the 30 series for a medium size reel and I love the daiwas 2000 size for panfish. The 2000s cast WAY better than the 1000 shimano and aren't very big. The daiwas I use are around 125 to 150 dollars the pfluger supremes are 99 bucks.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
3000 & 5000 shimano spheros have servrd me well , salt water reels .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not to hijack the thread but who repairs the zebco cardinals I have a couple with issues ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I've done just fine running my old MItchell's. You just have to keep some extra bail springs around for them. I run several Schimano's and like them too, but am thinking about cleaning house and going to the Pfleuggers. My buddy runs them and I've had a chance to handle a couple of his and really like them.
I like my Mitchell's just fine too. Also have a 10 year old Abu Garcia Cardinal that has done itself proud.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone using the Daiwa BGs? Recently bought two 2500s and have been very impressed considering I got two, delivered for $156.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I bought a BG 5000 and put it on a Penn prevail 11' surf rod. I have two of the older BG30's on the same rods.
The new BG's are one hell of a bang for the buck. Was going to get Penn Battle II's but I'm happy with the choice.
Thinking of a 1500 for a trout rod.

Last edited by jackmountain; 06/24/18.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Last reel I bought was a Shimano Nasci. It is every bit as smooth as my Shimano Sustain at almost 1/3rd the price.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Took the place of the symetre. Nasci is a nice reel.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've had a number of relatively inexpensive Diawas and Shimanos to serve me well for 20+ years that are now needing to be retired. I grew up on Mitchells and two DAM Quicks I really liked. I have several of the L/UL saltwater gold Penns I've been using for mountain trout and casting into the NC/SC surf for whiting, flounder and pompano. I bought a UL Okuma to try out on trout/crappie this year.

B
B
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
The diawa ss tournament series in whatever size you need. Been running them for 25 years or so. How often does a company make anything for 20 plus years anymore, that should tell you something.They run about a hundred bucks and up depending on size. That said I have also picked up some Pfluegers recently. The president XT is available in a very small size, got that for a ultralight stream trout rod. Also like their larger arbor style reel. Again small for the class for lighter setup. I tend to run towards the light side in all my tackle choices.

In your case I would look into the Diawa SS1600 or SS2600. You gain only a slight amount of drag with the 2600 but you may want the higher line capacity. If you use braid the 1600 will overcome the line capacity issues an give a slightly lighter and smaller package. I have used the 1600 on carp up to about 30 pounds. Reel had no problems and easily could of handled more. Exceptionally smooth drag

These reels all day long. I have been using SS tournament reels for about 25 years as well. I just picked up two SS700's for my UL set ups. I have two SS1600's. Highly recommended.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.