24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
Can some of you air rifle nerds recommend something that would be good for this? I'd like to keep price around $500 or under.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoFolCAwkbc&t=367s

Last edited by deflave; 04/08/18.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,687
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,687
Video won't play,but everyone should own a .25 Marauder!

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
D
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
In the PCP's, which are easier to shoot than a springer, these three have a small enough reservoir that you can comfortably use a hand pump.
Gamo Urban, about $300
[Linked Image]
Diana Stormrider, about $200. I think this one is a bit more powerful than the Gamo, so maybe better for large lizards. But louder and maybe not as good of a magazine.
[Linked Image]
Benjamin Maximus, about $270 pump included. This one is a single shot. And no baffle, so loud.
[Linked Image]



Last edited by DollarShort; 04/08/18.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
Oh man that's what I was looking for, DollarShort. Are those things pretty fast/easy to charge? Do you just throw the handpump in a daypack?

Which do you prefer between the Diana and the Gamo?


Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
Originally Posted by JimH
Video won't play,but everyone should own a .25 Marauder!



Schit. Maybe it won't imbed.

I was looking at those marauders and they look pretty bad ass. Worth the coin I guess?


Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
D
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by deflave
Oh man that's what I was looking for, DollarShort. Are those things pretty fast/easy to charge? Do you just throw the handpump in a daypack?

Which do you prefer between the Diana and the Gamo?

I don't own any of them. But for hunting I'd pick the Diana bevause it's more powerful. And it's lighter to carry.
The Gamo for the backyard because it's quieter.

You could carry the pump along. It's about like a bicycle pump. Not sure how many shots on a fill, maybe 20 or so. Or you could splurge and get a small carbon fiber tank that would fit in a backpack for about $300 I think.

The Marauder is huge and heavy compared to the Diana.

Last edited by DollarShort; 04/08/18.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
JimH,

Do the 25's kill more better than the 22's in your experience?


Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
D
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
Here's a little info on the Stormrider from Pyramid Air. 5 pounds before scope, and only 38.5 inches. I'd give one a try for hunting for sure. And probably get the small CF tank with the hose. Only thing is, I assume you'd be hunting in Puerto Rico, and I'm not sure about taking a tank on a plane.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_Stormrider_Multi_shot_PCP_Air_Rifle/4449/8647


Last edited by DollarShort; 04/08/18.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
That thing seems alright. Why does he think it's not the most "backyard friendly" choice? Do they get more quiet than that?

What scope would you put on one of these things?


Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
D
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
Yeah, the .177 Marauder is supposed to be super quiet. It has a full length shroud.

I'd take the sights off to start out with so I could mount a scope lower. The iguanas are up in trees and not super easy to see, so I guess a scope that gathers a bit of light.
I've seen some really good deals on crossbow scopes (35 yard parallax and drop compensating reticle that might match an airgun) at Natchez, so I might try one of those.
Most people who are hardcore airgunners would probably recommend a AO or side focus scope.

IC B3

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
D
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,513
Forgot about this one.
BIG UGLY, about $300
I'd still prefer the Stormrider for hunting. Smaller, lighter, and more powerful.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umarex_Gauntlet_PCP_Air_Rifle_Synthetic_Stock/4311/8328
Regulated, full shroud, about 60 shots per fill.


Last edited by DollarShort; 04/08/18.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32,129
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32,129
Why not semi-auto? It always seemed to me that semi-auto function was an inherent advantage of a PCP over a springer.


Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 78,261
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 78,261
Originally Posted by deflave
That thing seems alright. Why does he think it's not the most "backyard friendly" choice? Do they get more quiet than that?

What scope would you put on one of these things?




Really enjoying seeing this one played out Clark...


"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,687
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,687
Originally Posted by deflave
JimH,

Do the 25's kill more better than the 22's in your experience?

Never had a .22 air rifle,but the .25 smacks squirrel's noticeably harder than a .22 short,plus they are quieter,more accurate and safer,as the pellet slows down sooner .My marauder shoots a 25-26 grain pellet 850 fps.Sight in at 35 yards and down 1.5"@ 50. Easily shoot 1/2" or better @ 50 yards on a calm day.I own several nice .22 sporters and target rifles and the marauder is the most fun rifle I own.

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 42,868
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 42,868
Travis, a head shot with a silenced .22lr would do the job nicely. There are some big ones hanging around the canals within 3 blocks of my house, but I don't mess with them. Some of the latins around here either use a snare or spear.

Planning on changing your diet with the new move? smile


Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 23,506
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 23,506
Flavor, you planning on going into the manufacturing of fine reptile clothing in Florida? Iguana belts, cigar holders, Scarface slippers?...You're such an entrepreneur...

Check out "Air Arms TX200"....I own one for sniping squirrel and small schit around my beach home. It's won many air rifle competitions all over the world....Considered one of the most accurate and well-made air rifles available..

It feels, handles, and looks like a high-end rifle. The metal blueing is very deep and consistent..It comes in Walnut or Beechwood, I believe...Again, they are super accurate, deadly, and feels like a full-sized rifle in your hands...

You can get one in 22 cal. or.177 Check Gunbroker and alike for a used one...New, can set you back in the $650 neighborhood...I bought mine, used, in excellent condition, for $275 off GB...

I mounted an older Bushnell Sportsview 6X on it. Works great. Handles the recoil "yes" recoil and vibration quite well. It's a spring action-lever. that pushes.22 around 760fps.

I wasn't really looking to buy a high-end air rifle just to knock squirrels off my roof. I just happened to come across the Air Arms TX200 and started reading. I looked at the Marauder, which was cool and has good FPS. But, I didn't like or want an air tank, refill type rifle. It's just one more thing to deal with, break or need gasket and O rings replaced... I wanted simple, yet versatile, being able to quietly pump my rifle up to speeds low enough to smack a cat in the butt to get it away from bird feeders, without penetration, or up to 12 pumps to push a hole through a squirrel at 65 yards.

Pyramyd Air seems to be a good to place for all things air...Good Luck! Can't wait to see your first alligator taken with an air rifle...Mark


Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
Originally Posted by kingston
Why not semi-auto? It always seemed to me that semi-auto function was an inherent advantage of a PCP over a springer.



I did not know they made semi-auto airguns. Which one would you buy?


Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by deflave
That thing seems alright. Why does he think it's not the most "backyard friendly" choice? Do they get more quiet than that?

What scope would you put on one of these things?




Really enjoying seeing this one played out Clark...


Come July, you will be a believer.



Dave


Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
Originally Posted by JimH
Originally Posted by deflave
JimH,

Do the 25's kill more better than the 22's in your experience?

Never had a .22 air rifle,but the .25 smacks squirrel's noticeably harder than a .22 short,plus they are quieter,more accurate and safer,as the pellet slows down sooner .My marauder shoots a 25-26 grain pellet 850 fps.Sight in at 35 yards and down 1.5"@ 50. Easily shoot 1/2" or better @ 50 yards on a calm day.I own several nice .22 sporters and target rifles and the marauder is the most fun rifle I own.


Holy schit. That's good info. I would not have thought they were more quiet.


Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 115,424
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Flavor, you planning on going into the manufacturing of fine reptile clothing in Florida? Iguana belts, cigar holders, Scarface slippers?...You're such an entrepreneur...

Check out "Air Arms TX200"....I own one for sniping squirrel and small schit around my beach home. It's won many air rifle competitions all over the world....Considered one of the most accurate and well-made air rifles available..

It feels, handles, and looks like a high-end rifle. The metal blueing is very deep and consistent..It comes in Walnut or Beechwood, I believe...Again, they are super accurate, deadly, and feels like a full-sized rifle in your hands...

You can get one in 22 cal. or.177 Check Gunbroker and alike for a used one...New, can set you back in the $650 neighborhood...I bought mine, used, in excellent condition, for $275 off GB...

I mounted an older Bushnell Sportsview 6X on it. Works great. Handles the recoil "yes" recoil and vibration quite well. It's a spring action-lever. that pushes.22 around 760fps.

I wasn't really looking to buy a high-end air rifle just to knock squirrels off my roof. I just happened to come across the Air Arms TX200 and started reading. I looked at the Marauder, which was cool and has good FPS. But, I didn't like or want an air tank, refill type rifle. It's just one more thing to deal with, break or need gasket and O rings replaced... I wanted simple, yet versatile, being able to quietly pump my rifle up to speeds low enough to smack a cat in the butt to get it away from bird feeders, without penetration, or up to 12 pumps to push a hole through a squirrel at 65 yards.

Pyramyd Air seems to be a good to place for all things air...Good Luck! Can't wait to see your first alligator taken with an air rifle...Mark


I just need something I can kill a lot of. Leaving MT will not be easy.

Have the air chamber you charge or do you charge it before each shot? (Sorry I'm not up on my air gun nomenclature)


Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
772 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 100grNP, 70 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums80
Topics1,182,785
Posts18,309,580
Members73,660
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023


 







Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.066s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 0.9105 MB (Peak: 1.0827 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2024-02-26 23:53:18 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS