Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
A little off topic hoping to gain some knowledge , Remington 212 SB Routledge bore . This rifle has a raised full length rib that is actually inleted into the top of the receiver. The rib is said to be factory? It is marked simmons gun did simmons install these for Remington? The gun also has a couple of small holes in the ejection port where these holes for some sort of shell deflector or catcher ?

I think this one is right up Gene's alley , hopefully someone here has info?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12779253#Post12779253

Thanks Chris

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Interesting "shotgun"! If you don't get a good answer here, ask on the Remington forum on www.rimfirecentral.com. Or the "Single Barrel and Custom Rifle" forum on www.doublegunshop.com/BBS.

I've seen quite a number of "Routledge bore" Remington .22s. None had factory ribs.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Considering the shotguns from that era didn't have ribs, that seems a little odd.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For thos eof us who don't know, is a Routledge bore a smooth bore?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just Google it.

Hi fellows,

The Routledge bore is named, not surprisingly, after a gentleman named Routledge. He invented, in the 1930s, a way of machining a shotgun bore in a .22 rifle that resulted in an improvement in the shot patterning over that of the conventional .22 shotgun straight through boring. Schwing's Volume II book on the Model 61 and 62 goes into some detail on this subject. A sport using .22 caliber shotguns to shoot miniature clay targets called "Mos-Quit-O" was very popular in the late 1930s to early 1940s. The Routledge bore was developed during this time period. Guns having this bore are today considered very collectible and are much sought after.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lightfoot - very cool and thanks for the education!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have friends who are serious Remington collectors and have learned a few things from them and a little on this - The Routledge Bore is about 10~12" of smooth-bore from the muzzle end that is bored out to about 3/8" (guessing, could be more or less on both features), it created a larger more even pattern with the small amount of shot in a 22. The bore from the chamber out to that is 22 diameter smooth-bore.

Several companies marketed miniature skeet under different names. I don't know off hand which company had the one Lightfoot mentioned but Mossberg made rifles and throwers for miniature skeet, one thrower was made to attach to the barrel of the gun and had a lever so you could trip it with the gun shouldered, this didn't prove to popular because the torque produced by the thrower affected the aim of the gun to much. There was at least one gun made by Mossberg meant to be dual purpose, it had a smoothbore with two different screw on extensions, one was smoothbore and the other was rifled.

I have a couple examples of miniature clay targets called "SKEETER TARGET" the I think may have been marketed through Sears & Roebuck.

I know from friends with shotguns that guns could be sent to Simmons and they would install their ribs, so I would think the rib was almost certainly done by them, if factory, even it they had Simmons do it for them as a factory option, I don't think they would have Simmons mark it. I do not know if the Simmons rib helps or hurts the value, I will try and ask one of the Remington 22 guys next time I see one for an opinion.

The patent shows a two piece barrel but all I have seen are one piece & just counter bored.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 04/08/18. Reason: reworded slightly & added picture

Gene
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks Gene
What do you make of the two holes in the ejection port? The rifle/shotgun has been offered to me, at one time I figured I would like to own it, but the thought the rib is not factory has me puting the brakes on. Every thing I can locate on the rib says simmons did them for remington and they still can install them if desired. Thing is the barrel markings are such the rib does not cover them.

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Several years ago, at an antique mall in Door County, Wisconsin, they had two Remington Routledge bore guns, a 121 and a 572. They also had two of the miniature traps, and a case of shot cartridges. I was interested, at $700, but they also had a storage unit about three quarters filled with cases of the targets. They would not sell without the targets, and they would not have fit into my minivan even if we left all our luggage. Just another coulda woulda shoulda. The person running the mall that day thought the stuff had come from a Boy Scout camp that had been closed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the markings not covered it might be right, but I just did a search of Routledge 121's and looked at several pictures of examples without a rib that also have the markings down on the side where a rib would not cover them, but they also have a stamp with REMINGTON and patent information the would probably be completely covered by a rib - is that moved too? Is the rib raised slightly so you can see if there appears to be some stamping that is covered?

Here's a link to one without a rib that shows all the barrel markings so you know where to look - remington-fieldmaster-model-121

In the picture showing the rear of the rib it looks like there might be a light scratch ion the metal running right up to rib just about at the end, I would look at that close to see if it appears to go under the rib. I can't even be sure it's a scratch just from the picture. it might just be a piece of lint.

I do not have a clue to the reason for the small marks in the top of the ejection port, they might have been for some type of deflector.

Gene
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GeneB

I do not have a clue to the reason for the small marks in the top of the ejection port, they might have been for some type of deflector.

The 572 came with an ejection port deflector

LOL
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Yep prety sure no markings covered up, the rib is definetly inleted into the reciever. Not enough of these to know for sure and remington does not letter rifles to my knowledge?

Bigoldave , Door county makes sense to bad you where not able to get them. Out in the peninsula memory says very desirable proprty there.

Is 1200 to much for this piece? Nothing fancy other than the rib and it has been used.

Thanks Chris

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
330 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.