Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Having watched this topic for 30 years or so, state-of-the-art now is Jetboil, then everything else. Most find their upsides better than their downsides. But anyone who thinks they perform at 0 degrees like they do at 50 degrees has an unpleasant physics lesson coming. Is this a deal-killer? No, but it makes a dif. Some may be willing to sleep with a cold-assed fuel cannister in the bag. I am not one, though I have done it. My own go-to stove is a JetBoil. As for the cost of the fuel, by the time one gets in the woods so much has been spent for the entire experience that the actual cost of the canister is meaningless.

Best way is to have two hikers share the load, and not double up on the stove. In AZ, we have to carry so much water, or sacrifice so much distance, strategies like that make a lot of difference. Have never packed in once in AZ where there was drinking water at my end camp that did not come out of my own pack. Not saying it is impossible, but that's how it plays out.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Brad
I hunted with a guy who used an MSR Reactor, I thought it was pretty slick. Surprised no one has mentioned that one.

It's heavy.

This was on a walk-in Alaska sheep hunt. He probably brought it for its heat output and capacity to warm up the tent with two sopping wet hunters inside.

The Reactor is the best stove on the market in my opinion... and that guy you speak of and myself have warmed up by one more than a few times together.

Tanner

H
H
If its winter I will likely have my snowtrekker and fourdog titanium stove. That's the best, but for backpacking I love my Bushbuddy wood stove. About five ounces, and slower than most naptha or canister stoves, but faster than any alcohol stove I have tried to get water to boil. I have several whisperlites, (which are pretty bomb proof), but prefer them for boat camping, duck hunting, etc. If I got into canisters I would look pretty hard at the jetboil type stoves. Pretty efficient from what I gather.

Love my bushbuddy though! Never any fuel needed.

Here is a random review of it.

www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Co...tra/Owner%20Review%20by%20Dan%20Feldman/

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
I hunted with a guy who used an MSR Reactor, I thought it was pretty slick. Surprised no one has mentioned that one.

It's heavy.

This was on a walk-in Alaska sheep hunt. He probably brought it for its heat output and capacity to warm up the tent with two sopping wet hunters inside.

The Reactor is the best stove on the market in my opinion... and that guy you speak of and myself have warmed up by one more than a few times together.

Tanner

I heard that when you're in the tent, no extra heat is needed because you have enough internal capacity to blow the flaps open at will.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Going through some of my photos and found this gem... forgot I had it

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Reactor is the best stove on the market in my opinion...
Tanner

Best? Silly concept...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going through some of my photos and found this gem... forgot I had it

[Linked Image]

SHTF...you're gonna be taking care of quite a few stragglers...Sheepdog.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You couldn't pay me enough to use that thing.... (bush buddy)

LC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Tanner

Best? Silly concept...

I think he probably had a particular application in mind.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Tanner

Best? Silly concept...

You're probably right.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
You couldn't pay me enough to use that thing.... (bush buddy)

LC

Lots of happy backpacking enthusiasts would apparently disagree.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tanner

Best? Silly concept...

You're probably right.

Massive heat output, being mostly immune to wind affects, and efficiency are what I love most about it.... It is a bit heavier than most options discussed already but it's a weight penalty that I will suffer. This past August I used a single 13oz MSR fuel can for 8 days between a client and myself on a sheep hunt. That was breakfast and dinner for both of us, and some hot drinks mixed in as well... I don't think I could do that with my Pocket Rocket, but maybe somebody will correct me.

And I know all of the tents say on the label you aren't supposed to, but with the vestibule cracked for some air flow, that little stove will warm up cold hunters pretty quickly if you have the extra fuel and a nice flat spot to secure the stove.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All I know is, I was impressed by the reactor.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Title says it all. I used tuna can alcohol stoves for years and in the last 4-5 switched to jetboil. Currently building a wood stove/alcohol fueled stove for kicks. What about the rest of you experienced Backcountry hunters?

My back is so screwed up I go as light as possible. Been using the redbull can/catfood can for years now with a ti mug. Heat water in the pot, dump it in a zip lock bag with freeze dried meal. Stick it in a beer coozie, let it sit about 15 minutes then eat it from the bag. Only thing to clean is the spoon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've cooked in tents for over 40 years... not dead yet.

If you want a real blow torch, try the MSR XGK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To actually "cook" on, a Kovea Spider is pretty nice. But for whatever reason, my original JetBoil has seen more use than anything. Keeps on ticking....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heard angels sing when I first bought & used a Jetboil. Inexpensive, trustworthy and fast.

Murphy was a grunt.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
MSR Pocket Rocket 2 with Grandma's grease pot...........oh yeah.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Title says it all. I used tuna can alcohol stoves for years and in the last 4-5 switched to jetboil. Currently building a wood stove/alcohol fueled stove for kicks. What about the rest of you experienced Backcountry hunters?

My back is so screwed up I go as light as possible. Been using the redbull can/catfood can for years now with a ti mug. Heat water in the pot, dump it in a zip lock bag with freeze dried meal. Stick it in a beer coozie, let it sit about 15 minutes then eat it from the bag. Only thing to clean is the spoon.

The bag sounds simple. But, I would not eat anything from hot plastic!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A cheap primus something or other. It works, and has so for years.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 46 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.