-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, you thinking of throwing down and trying a NF SHV? Love to hear what you think should you go for it...Especially, since you and I seem to like the Leupold VX6’s we own...I have a few LRHSi coming this month, which will be a new experience. I can see my way to a NF SHV...But, after you dip your toe first...😂😎 Mark

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I just got my first look at a 3-10x NF SHV Forceplex this past Saturday. Lots to like about that scope. I liked it a lot more than that IMR, IHR, or whatever reticle NF calls it. Is it supposedly as bulletproof as the rest of the NF stuff?

I started shooting a 3-10 SHV this spring and I think the Forceplex is much better than the IHR. I've only got a couple hundred rounds through it so I can't speak much on the bulletproofness, but it seems to be built like a tank. Footprint wise, it's basically the same as the 2.5-10x42 NXS....but it's slightly heavier, even without illumination, so it's a solid little chunk. If the Forceplex had thicker outer duplex bars I'd probably have a couple more of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
never understood the clamoring for the #4 reticle, other than it typically has german with the name. I think that is the only reason people claim it prefer it. I can't see how the duplex reticle isn't better in low light than a #4. frankly I wish they would just offer a plain old mil dot. but that would be too boring.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
never understood the clamoring for the #4 reticle, other than it typically has german with the name. I think that is the only reason people claim it prefer it. I can't see how the duplex reticle isn't better in low light than a #4. frankly I wish they would just offer a plain old mil dot. but that would be too boring.

There are big differences in #4's. One like Meopta has in the 6x42 is very thick with the main bars coming close to center. It makes it easy to find in low light and thick brush. The main bars being so close allow the user to shoot even if they can't see the finer crosshair intersection. The intersection is fine enough that it won't interfere with group shooting or fine targets:

[Linked Image]

Very different from how finely subtensioned and widely spaced NF's #4 is:

[Linked Image]

I think you are correct that a (heavy) duplex with the same subtensions as a given #4 will be easier to use in low light as the top bar provides another reference. A little while back I did some testing on a dark horse at night with several different reticles and the heavy duplex was faster to align than a #4. Could be done fine with either but the 4th post helped. I think most like the #4's open top for the view during daylight more than at last light.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

There is no comparison between a Leupold Duplex or Nightforce Forceplex (Duplex) and a Meopta #4 or Vortex G4 BDC when in the eastern dark timber in low light. Have had them all and compared extensively. Maybe stating "no comparison" is a bit strong, but the #4 in each case is clearly superior, with no loss of fidelity for bench shooting.

Last edited by prm; 07/18/18.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Try both of them in very lowlight and get back to me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

[Linked Image]

Yep, that's a #4 that can do something for you.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s no surprise that you don’t understand the German #4

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.