Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
What can I build on a Turkish large ring,with a small bore?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Otter6,

You can build anything you want as long as it fits in the 3.300 magazine box. Even then with extensive work you could modify it for a 375H&H cartridge lenght.

The small shank barrel threads are no deterrent One of the advantages to the small shank makes it easy to re-purpose barrels for it.

I used a Ruger M77 30-06 barrel on a Turk, the gunsmith turned the shank down and it worked fine. It was a low budget gun and turned out great, I also used a Boyds walnut stock.

I am currently building a 338-06 on a Turk, another budget gun using left over parts I have.

With the Turk it shares the common 98 parts, build away and enjoy

Last edited by irfubar; 04/09/18.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the insight. A co-worker has an action for sale,and I was curious what it would be good for. He's asking $160 for it. Action and bottom metal. How is the price?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you factor a barrel, d/t for scope mount, safety and trigger you can buy a new rifle that will be less expensive and lighter weight. Unless you want to build a 7X57 or 8X57 you'll have aditional $ into new bottom metal.

I've done a couple of sporterized '98's, now I know better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$160.00 is top dollar for a Turk, as 458 Lott says if you want to save money starting with a military Mauser is not the way to go. But if you can do most of the work yourself it is a worthwhile and fun project.

You will need to weld or forge the bolt handle, drill & tap if you want a scope. Replace the safety.

Now if you build an iron sight gun you wont need to change the safety and forging the bolt as opposes to cutting and welding a new bolt is practical.

My last Turk I drilled& tapped, installed a Timney safety and trigger, as mentioned before I had the smith install a Ruger 30-06 stainless take off barrel that cost $50.00 + install.

I used Brownells ceramic spray coating. The Boyds stock was just over $100.00. A friend loved the gun after borrowing it from me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

My latest Turk is going to be an iron sight 338-06, I have a ER Shaw barrel ordered, it will go in a laminate Richards micro fit left over from years ago.
I will Cerakote it. It is going to be a camping, spare , foul weather rifle...... It will ride behind the seat of my truck, in saddle scabbards, strapped to the raft frame etc....

If Shaw ever delivers my barrel I will put it together and post pic's. I know Big Stick loves Mausers and loves to look at them and comment on them ..... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
When you factor a barrel, d/t for scope mount, safety and trigger you can buy a new rifle that will be less expensive and lighter weight. Unless you want to build a 7X57 or 8X57 you'll have aditional $ into new bottom metal.

I've done a couple of sporterized '98's, now I know better.

precisely and worse yet....when it's all done, you'll still have a Turkish Mauser.....

I've bult way too many guns from military Mausers....in recent years i'st M-70 almost exclusively. It simply cost less to use one of them for a starter action and often times the barrel can be salvaged as well.

Last edited by vapodog; 04/09/18.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Otter6
What can I build on a Turkish large ring,with a small bore?

Would make a damn fine 8x57.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
You all have pretty much confirmed all my suspicions. I was just kicking it around in my head. I've worked as a machinist,welder / fabricator for years. The mods would have been tinker work,but the cost was wearing on my better judgement. The 7X57 , 8X57, maybe 358 Win in an open sight format would be fun,but I have little use for one. Maybe I should take a pass on the Turk.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JC Higgins M50 .270

Just an alternative. You'll be way ahead and have a nice Mauser actioned rifle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have never seen a JC Higgins M50 like that - it has a 3 position safety and the bolt handle is military style. I have owned a half-dozen of them and mine had the up-down 2-position safety on the left side of the bolt shroud and the bolt handles were nicely swept back and were flat on the bottom.
I wonder is this is not a parts gun, or if it any early version of the M50.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Looks to be a Higgins 50 barreled action and stock but with a military bolt.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Looks to be a Higgins 50 barreled action and stock but with a military bolt.

I would agree.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by drover
I have never seen a JC Higgins M50 like that - it has a 3 position safety and the bolt handle is military style. I have owned a half-dozen of them and mine had the up-down 2-position safety on the left side of the bolt shroud and the bolt handles were nicely swept back and were flat on the bottom.
I wonder is this is not a parts gun, or if it any early version of the M50.

drover

That's because that bolt is out of a K98(or similar military Mauser). That isn't the bolt that came in ANY new Higgins.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Saw that one myself. Had to laugh. I suspect the original bolt was lost and Bubba bought one from a parts seller.

Question I have is if the seller knows what he's selling? If so, his Mama must be proud!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Saw that one myself. Had to laugh. I suspect the original bolt was lost and Bubba bought one from a parts seller.

Question I have is if the seller knows what he's selling? If so, his Mama must be proud!

Wonder what the headspace is like, a 98 militay bolt dropped in an FN commercial action...

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Wonder what the headspace is like, a 98 militay bolt dropped in an FN commercial action...

DF

PROBABLY alright, but not always. I've swapped bolts before, but not without a set of headspace gauges handy.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

PROBABLY alright, but not always. I've swapped bolts before, but not without a set of headspace gauges handy.

Not something I'd buy, sight unseen...

Could be a "pig in the poke"...

That military bolt will take some expense to convert to sporting configuration.

I'd be embarrassed to offer such a gun...

Just me.

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a couple of Turks and have built a couple dozen rifles on them over the years. I bought them for about thirteen dollars each. I have barrelled them for everything from 22/250 to 8mm Rem Mag(used two actions for that one) and all worked out well. I have machined the receiver to small ring dimensions. When I started gunsmithing in the late seventies, Mauser builds were still a prominent feature of the gunsmithing trade. Today, it's hard to find a 'smith who will weld a bolt handle and you would swear that drilling and tapping is akin to rocket surgery instead of the fifteen minute job it should be. In the modern world, it's a lot easier to just fall into step and buy a plastic Tikka. GD

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen a couple of Turkish Mauser custom rifles that were truly a work of art, but the guys who built them did it themselves. I believe they bought the complete rifles back in the 90s for something like $60 a piece.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
$160 is kinda steep for a Turk action. $75 is about right. If you farm the work out, you will have $800 into a $475 rifle. If you do the work yourself and count your labor as free, you'll have $400 into a $475 rifle. You can make anything you want on them. The easiest would be short action stuff like the 243/308 family or the Mauser family like the 6 Rem, 257 Bob .... If you want to do a 243 or 6-284 let me know as I have barrels.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.