Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am new to trapping. I have set a dozen dirt hole sets. Barring rain, how often should I rebait the sets?

GoTigersGo
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
1 week

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do you mean relure? If you are using bait, you would not need more bait unless the bait has been taken...in which case you should have a catch. On a remake I'm not rebaiting and usually not reluring.

As far as lure goes, I don't usually relure or freshen a set. If the set doesn't connect that I pull it and move on. bait/lure smells can linger for months. Overluring is a mistake and will adversely affect catch rates.

Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the help. We have had abnormally amount of rain in last 2 months. Big heavy rains. I put all of my sets where they would not be flooded out. However most of the bait holes fill up with water. Should I just leave them alone and let them dry out or rebait?

GoTigersGo
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the hole is filled with water...first check and make sure the trap is still functional, probably needs to be rebedded. I have used a soda bottle with the top cut off to scoop out some of the water and speed up the draining. Maybe re-lure with a piece of sheeps wool with a smear of gland lure.

I have seen fresh foot prints working around old sets long after the trap is pulled. The scents linger.

IC B2

Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the advice.

GoTigersGo
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Guy on TrapperMan site had a set where he had seen a coyote cross his field , didn't lure/bait/or go near the set -watched set with binos . Caught a coyote 2 months later .

Maybe if a coyote has a bad experience with the loud smell of lures baits - those strong smells might mean danger to them . Coyotes catch on to predator callers - I've started a coyote stand [idaho] and seen coyotes stand up when the caller starts and run off the opposite direction . They didn't view the distressed rabbit as an easy meal - but danger .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Caught my first coyote this week. Great sense of satisfaction.
But I have also had 2 pull outs.
Then yesterday I had a complete set pulled and gone. I had used an 18” rebar with a t-top and hammered it into solid clay.

GoTigersGo
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lacy1
Then yesterday I had a complete set pulled and gone. I had used an 18” rebar with a t-top and hammered it into solid clay.

You try to follow the drag marks?

Had that happen a couple times, but they didn't go far. But, then I checked traps every morning...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rookie Baiting Question... Once you get this down, does it mean that you're a masterbater ? grin

I have not trapped in years. When I trapped, baiting was not allowed in some areas. So, lure's were used. Skunk scent seemed to work pretty good. I always dipped a tampon in the stuff then tied it up high in a sage brush bush or tree. They now make scent applicators that are designed for the same thing.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You could dig around in a dumpster for the pre-scented ones... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No drag marks that I could find. Also not much sign of any struggle on the ground. Figured ground would have been more torn up. In fact at first glance it didn’t even notice the trap had been tripped. Just the small tree limbs I had used as a backing were moved. Been down with the flu this week. Plan to go back tomorrow and look around again.

GoTigersGo
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Lacy1

Using a short chain will allow a coyote to pull upwards - a bit of tugging and jumping and away they go . .
Use enough length so that jumping or being able to pull the stake directly up is impossible .
Hope you feel better soon .

Posted by Bristoe
Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is what I have been doing. Staking the chain that came with the trap.
I also think my trigger/pad is too stiff. I loosened them up today and reset the traps today.
I also caught my third coyote yesterday.
Reset traps with more sensitive trigger and buried a bit more shallow. Got 4 days of good weather coming. Feeling positive this week.

GoTigersGo

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.