-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Huge difference between the two... true cavitation requires an immediate and large reduction in throttle... metal is being damaged in a cavitation event.

Hard to imagine running jets for 35 years and not hearing the proper term. But there is a big difference between 35 years of experience and one year of experience 35 times.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Huge difference between the two... true cavitation requires an immediate and large reduction in throttle... metal is being damaged in a cavitation event.

Hard to imagine running jets for 35 years and not hearing the proper term. But there is a big difference between 35 years of experience and one year of experience 35 times.

You seem the sort that think they know more than the actually do....Im betting you've never run an outboard jet. I've owned and operated a fly in fishing lodge for most of the last 40 years, and I can promise you I have more time on the tiller than you could dream of. The biggest concern with cavitation is the sudden increase in engine RPMs...and the loss of power that comes with it....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

You seem the sort that think they know more than the actually do....Im betting you've never run an outboard jet. I've owned and operated a fly in fishing lodge for most of the last 40 years, and I can promise you I have more time on the tiller than you could dream of. The biggest concern with cavitation is the sudden increase in engine RPMs...and the loss of power that comes with it....

Wrong on about all counts...

There are many here at the fire that have been in my jet boat... and my son's, which he built from scratch... or the many other boats I have owned over the years. Held a USCG Masters License for a couple decades, but disabusing you of your fantasies is not really my job.

If you think the biggest problem with cavitation is the loss of speed and the increase in RPMs you were not listening and did not understand what you should have read. Cavitation leads to serious metal damage on the prop or impellor very quickly. Ventilation is very different from cavitation which seems to be the only thing you have run into with your jet. Except it probably isn't if you actually have run a jet as much as you claim.

Something for you to wrap your head around: if your prop or pump left the water while running in rough weather it did not cavitate, but the RPMs increased and resulted in lost power.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While those boats seem capable, I'm still not a huge fan of inflatable boats after my last incident with one, but it was an older RIB. I'd rather much have a solid boat, unless I could afford to replace it every few years. I did enjoy the videos, but I found one linked that I liked more...

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Tag

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
https://www.facebook.com/574710489535823/videos/609016092771929/

Another video here in AK Solar 470 skinny water

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Probably ripped a hole in it~

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Still impressed with my boat about 8 plus hrs run time this year. Solar 420 Arrow Yamaha 30 hp 2 stroke jet.
23.8 MPH light load will run in very shallow water. Link to Solar boats with videos.

https://www.facebook.com/Jetech-LLC-574710489535823/

kk alaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Definitely a cool option. Thanks for sharing the info.

Jason

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I run a 14' Achilles with 30 hp prop Everscrewed, and an 18 foot aluminum flat bottom with rated 30 hp Jet (more if it was prop), 4 stroke Yamaha. Both of them kinda new (less than 10 years and not many hours of operation with the combos, tho the flat bottom boat is a beat-to-hell '73, on it's 5th motor - the 30 prop was the 4th, now transferred to the Rubber Ducky. Some things I have found with my outfits- the hard way - that newbies need to keep in mind:

Jet units will "skitter" the boat on sharp turns. (Hey - I only hit the bank once with the flat-bottom since I bought the Yamaha 5 years ago..... 180 degree bend in nothing at all... I know how to set up for that turn now! And how to throttle for it)

Inflatables will also skitter at high speed with a prop unit - and can throw one out of the boat (almost, once!).

Jet units are less maneuverable at slow speeds than prop units.

Inflatables MUST have enough pressure inside! Overinflation is better than under-inflation, or one WILL get cavitation/ventilation (whatever!).... So far, I have not found a good way or even reference to "proper" air pressure for the Achilles. I just blow that sucker up until it looks/feels right. And if it isn't, I pump some more in! That again, I learned by experiencing too low a hull pressure.

i worry about bear action on the inflatable - not so on hard hulls. Haven't had any. Yet.

Jet units are subject to clogging from floating leaves ( and weeds in the Manley slough.- but so is the prop in the weeds) . On our latest trip to the remote cabin, I had to clear the jet intake a half dozen or more times in the lower 2 miles of slack water( no leaf line- they were over the whole surface) before hitting the Tanana. Farther up the river I was able to stay mostly out of the line of floating leaves, except to cross. Only had to clear twice on the upper 13 miles coming down, 3 times on way up (fewer leaves, just 3 days earlier.

Those guys in the video are having waaaay too much fun! No rifles/moose in sight tho.

Last edited by las; 09/28/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Jetech is having a demo tommorow 9-29-18 details below. I will be there with my boat. Kurt

The Jetech demo day is still on for tomorrow. We will be launching at the parking lot on the left at the Little Su bridge just before Millers Landing. There is plenty of parking and the launch is nice. I'm going to try to load up my bbq and should have some food there but feel free to bring anything you want to throw on a grill. I'm planning on starting around noon.

Comment here to let everyone know what setup you're bringing. Hope we get a good turnout with lots of different motor setups for comparison.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=jetech%20llc

kk alaska

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How is this different from a Zodiak with an outboard motor and a jet drive?
Smaller?
No rigid hull?

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tunnel hull, Inflatable floor has I beams in it very rigid that does not flex and introduce air under hull, have tried all sorts of inflatable boats with a jet outboard with dismal results, this is the first to really impress me.

Tunnels water to the jet intake like a hard bottom jet boat, and it bottom has a hi tech poly that just slides over rocks .

Have ran it in under 3" of water on step, with a load. The transom sits on top of floor, on most Zodiak style boats the transom is at the bottom of the boat and you hit at front of transom.

kk alaska

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought a Solar 420 Vega model for fly in use like the one in the video. Language is Russian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db1VuU8w7dg

Last edited by kk alaska; 02/04/19.

kk alaska

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
KK: Please tell us more about the jet outboard. Thanks

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
What are your specific questions about the jet outboard?

The reason the Solar jet boat works so well with the jet outboard is the hull design and the jet tunnel, lots have tried and this boat just works.

kk alaska

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Does the jet lower unit just replace the propeller lower unit? Is 20 hp enough power for the Solar boat?

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes the jet lower unit replaces lower prop unit. You lose about 30% compared to a prop unit.

From the video I think the Suzuki 20 HP 4 stroke which is about 13 HP net would be ok with a light load in 420 Vega model, will let you know when the ice melts.

We ran several motors on the Standard 420 model from 30 HP 2 stroke, 40 hp 2 stroke and 25 HP 4 stroke
25 HP at the Jet and all performed great.

About any place I can put the boat in the water, I can run which opens up a lot of country.

The company that makes most of the outboard jet units in the US.
http://outboardjets.com/

Last edited by kk alaska; 02/05/19.

kk alaska

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.