-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pay attention when Yukoner talks lake trout.....and rifles!

Ted, I just got back from touring the lake with 21 HB canoe.......just sightseeing except for a dinner fish or two.
Yes, the water is really low......makes one pay attention when leaving 6 Mile river into the lake.

I'll be back over in late July.

Good to hear from you Ted!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great! Give me a shout when you are on your way.

That will be about the right time to be jigging for lakers in 150-200 ft off Squaw Point.

[Linked Image]

I know you know where it is, but someone, someday, may be visiting Tagish, and want to give one of "our spots" a try. smile

Ted

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ted
I might have to make that drive...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just let me know when you are coming, Art.

Went out last Thursday evening with two friends of mine. Caught seven nice lakers, five of which we put in the canoe in 45 minutes.

Pulled into a nice spot at 10:30 and cooked up a big shore lunch of the two smallest ones. Fried trout fillets, baked beans, fresh home made bread, all washed down with hot tea while we watched the sun set.

Got home around 2:30 am. smile

My apologies for the not-so-brief hijack, wabigoon.
Ted

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Just let me know when you are coming, Art.

Went out last Thursday evening with two friends of mine. Caught seven nice lakers, five of which we put in the canoe in 45 minutes.

Pulled into a nice spot at 10:30 and cooked up a big shore lunch of the two smallest ones. Fried trout fillets, baked beans, fresh home made bread, all washed down with hot tea while we watched the sun set.

Got home around 2:30 am. smile

My apologies for the not-so-brief hijack, wabigoon.
Ted

"Nirvana" never needed so many words before!

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just returned from a trip near Sioux Lookout, Ontario. The lake had Pike and Lake Trout. Trolled deep diving Rapalas flatline directly behind the boat. Lure would dive to about 20 feet and we trolled in water from 60 to 90 feet deep. Marked fish at all depths below 15 feet, mostly deep and under bait fish schools. Anytime we marked a fish at 25 feet or less we would get a strike. I would cast behind the boat as far as I could then let out another 20 foot of line as I started the troll. Surface water temperature was 68 degrees at the start of the the week and climbed to 75 by the end of the week. Early morning and evening were best action and trout were in the 23" to 30" range. We also picked up Pike on these trolls including a fat 39" one.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Woody, I sit southeast about 45 miles from Sioux lookout right now.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard - about 80 miles northeast of you, we have caught them trolling heavy, silver-colored spoons behind a 2 or 3 ounce chain sinker on wire line.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wabigoon, I grew up fishing Lac Seul out of Ear Falls back in the 60's. Hunted and fished all over NW Ontario from Terrace Bay west to Red Lake since then. Have friends in Dryden that just bought the cabin we fished from. I head back up in two weeks to fish outside Atikokan mostly for smallmouths and walleye. The lake we stay on there has lakers too but I have not spent time trying for them.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Can one fight them up in those warm surface temperatures and then release them back though the warm waters and have good survival rate?
I don't know, . . . That's why I am asking

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LouisB,

In my case we were not catching any fish below about 30 feet. They were coming up in the water column chasing bait. As soon as we released them they swam quickly down and did not linger near the surface. We were using fairly heavy equipment so brought the fish in and released quickly. There is a problem if you are catching them deep, say 50 feet or more, and bring them to the surface too fast. Swim bladder expands and they are too buoyant to get back down deep.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There was an article in an old issue of "InFisherman" that dealt with this. If I get time, I will see if I can locate it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I know a biologist who did several studies on survival rates of released fish. Lake Trout were caught on Sturgen lake and Savant Lake and Long Lake near Longlac. Fish brought up from as deep as 130 ft had good survival rates as long as they swim straight back down to the depths—several fish were caught numerous times.
Surviaval rates for walleye was terrible if caught in water warmer than 60 degrees F—has something to do with lactic acid build-up in muscle tissue—fish seemed fine when released but died pretty regular after a couple of days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I get around Ontario quite a bit, I have caught trout on both Sturgen and Long Lake. My buddy owned camps on each at different times. Long Lake also had some big Brookies. I'll post pictures if I can find them.

Last edited by 54Woody; 07/03/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Long Lake
[Linked Image]d

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking good. The last lake trout I caught was at Flaming Gorge in UT/WY about 5 years ago We were fishing 60'-100' down for Kokanee Salmon. I caught 3-4 of them in the 5lb range, and one that was probably around 10-12 lb range. Mighty fine tasting. Put them in my sisters traeger with some apple wood. We caught 6-8 Kokanee too. They were fantastic.

Brookies are my favorite though. Never caught one more than about 3 lbs.

Last edited by Owl; 07/03/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Woody, I fished what they called Long Lake falls way back, same lake. East of Dryden a ways?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.