Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Fishing for lake trout without down riggers? Anyone do that?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Lake trout are pretty boat shy and most lake trout water is crystal clear. Flashy spoons with lots of line out or a planer board to get the lures away from the boat.
North Shore of Lake Superior look for gravel and rocky bottom—10 to 15 ft deep —troll slow around 1 1/2 to 2 mph. Look for water temps on surface of 47 to 51 degrees. 2/5 oz Little Cleo’s blu and silver or brass and red.
I catch a lot of Specks casting but only a few lakers gotta troll for them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
3 Way bottom bouncing. 28 pounder in 14’ of water,
21 pounder in 35 feet. Lake Ontario...

White 4” plastics or 4 to 5” shiners for bait.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have taken lakers in bays casting fairly often, but the water temp needs to be close to 51 degrees, and having just risen there. I have also taken them in bug slicks and 51 degree water a couple hundred feet deep by trolling Rapalas or KKahmann's little cleos both off planers and in the prop wash. Smaller lakers though, none of them over 10 lbs. The biggest casting in shallow bays were 15 lbs or so, most were 3-6 lbs. If you have them in shallow bays in the spring my experience it they they are in there feeding and eagerly hit spoons and Raps. Most of my experience with them has been in situations where there really weren't any big ones available.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do an annual fly fishing trip for them and Rick Bin has been coming for a while now on them. I have about 50 years of fishing the same place. No really big ones where we fly fish it, but when they are practically on the surface, who cares? Used to fish cut bait along the edge of the ice in the spring and have caught some serious fish that way. Usually get to watch them cruising by and picking up the bait.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lake outlets when the salmon smolt are trying to leave the lake headed to salt is good shallow water fishing in the spring.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards
Planer board 15ft deep

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[Linked Image]
Planer board again

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, just off the bottom. Lake Superior, a bay and then out into the lake a bit. Chunk of sucker on whatever you are dragging seems to be the ticket.

We bob a bit--but the same thing, fishing on the bottom

Older friends used lead lines to get down w/o riggers and my neighbor at our camp still does. A workout...:)

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fish late and into the night as the trout are far less wary in the shallows then and bait fish are in shallow
to escape birds in the darkness.

In Art & Rick Bin's fishing hole you can catch trout, after dark, in 2 feet of water and around your feet.

Fishermen Friends.....please don't kill those big trout.....let those old girls spawn.

A study in a local Alaska Lake indicates that it takes 8 years for a LT to reach 24 inches and another 8 years to reach 25 inches.
That's where sexual maturity kicked in and affected growth rate. So eat those little ones and get measurements and pics for
a fiberglass mount.

Here in Alaska, F&G figures on average, a lake trout grows 1/2" a year......hell I've caught trout older than Art.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don’t kill big lakers unless they are headed to the taxidermist—both fish above represent once in a lifetime event for the clients involved.
The 40lber above was gutted by the local biologist and the otolith bone was removed—fish aged out at 27.5 years old.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a video a while back about fishing for lakers after ice out with large surface plugs in red/orange/yellow (?). Apparently they were doing well doing this.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Saw a video a while back about fishing for lakers after ice out with large surface plugs in red/orange/yellow (?). Apparently they were doing well doing this.

A large number of my bigger lake trout have fallen to a bright red Flatfish dragged slowly along a shoreline in spring.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
Fish late and into the night as the trout are far less wary in the shallows then and bait fish are in shallow

In Art & Rick Bin's fishing hole you can catch trout, after dark, in 2 feet of water and around your feet.

Fishermen Friends.....please don't kill those big trout.....let those old girls spawn.

A study in a local Alaska Lake indicates that it takes 8 years for a LT to reach 24 inches and another 8 years to reach 25 inches.
That's where sexual maturity kicked in and affected growth rate. So eat those little ones and get measurements and pics for
a fiberglass mount.

Here in Alaska, F&G figures on average, a lake trout grows 1/2" a year......hell I've caught trout older than Art.

Yeah, but have you caught them older than you?

wink

Saw a bumper sticker the other day I just have to get:

"Fingers are for Girls, Not Gills!"

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Lake outlets when the salmon smolt are trying to leave the lake headed to salt is good shallow water fishing in the spring.

We used to fish Paxson and Summit using this very method. If they are there it can be a fish on every cast, but I am sure you already knew that smile We used to float down a creek that we put sockeye fry into, all the way down to the ice. Anchored the canoe off to the ice and pitched jigs. Caught a lot of lakers doing that, most of them were puking up clouds of sockeye fry. They just laid there and waited for us to put the fry into the creek.

Fishing for lakers on Crosswinds in the spring is a blast. They sit right off the edge of deep water waiting for the smolts to migrate into the shallow water. Fly fishing for them was usually the go to, and I have hooked them in water that wasn't deep enough to cover their backs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

a fiberglass mount.

wink

Art....I need one of those bumper stickers!

Last edited by VernAK; 04/25/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

a fiberglass mount.

wink

Art....I need one of those bumper stickers!

If I find them I will get you one...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ive hooked up on 2 lakers. Both from shore, using a 6' ugly stick spooled with 15lb braid.
One got away and i landed the second.

The one that got away hit on a 1/2 or 5/8 oz rainbow trout colored kastmaster in about 4 feet of water

The one that didnt get away hit a green/silver 3/4 oz kastmaster, again, not in a whole hell of a lot of water

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My old Ambassadeur 6500 loaded with 15 pound monel wire will get a trolled biggest Williams Whitefish or Len Tompson Five of Diamonds down to 30 feet. The biggest green or silver Flatfish will go down to fifty.

Replace all the treble hooks with one single, connect to a five foot mono leader, and go fishing. You can feel everything the lure is doing, every time it scratches the bottom, and strikes feel vicious. Try it. You will have a ball.

Vern, Tagish is eight feet low right now..

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pay attention when Yukoner talks lake trout.....and rifles!

Ted, I just got back from touring the lake with 21 HB canoe.......just sightseeing except for a dinner fish or two.
Yes, the water is really low......makes one pay attention when leaving 6 Mile river into the lake.

I'll be back over in late July.

Good to hear from you Ted!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great! Give me a shout when you are on your way.

That will be about the right time to be jigging for lakers in 150-200 ft off Squaw Point.

[Linked Image]

I know you know where it is, but someone, someday, may be visiting Tagish, and want to give one of "our spots" a try. smile

Ted

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ted
I might have to make that drive...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just let me know when you are coming, Art.

Went out last Thursday evening with two friends of mine. Caught seven nice lakers, five of which we put in the canoe in 45 minutes.

Pulled into a nice spot at 10:30 and cooked up a big shore lunch of the two smallest ones. Fried trout fillets, baked beans, fresh home made bread, all washed down with hot tea while we watched the sun set.

Got home around 2:30 am. smile

My apologies for the not-so-brief hijack, wabigoon.
Ted

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Just let me know when you are coming, Art.

Went out last Thursday evening with two friends of mine. Caught seven nice lakers, five of which we put in the canoe in 45 minutes.

Pulled into a nice spot at 10:30 and cooked up a big shore lunch of the two smallest ones. Fried trout fillets, baked beans, fresh home made bread, all washed down with hot tea while we watched the sun set.

Got home around 2:30 am. smile

My apologies for the not-so-brief hijack, wabigoon.
Ted

"Nirvana" never needed so many words before!

wink

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just returned from a trip near Sioux Lookout, Ontario. The lake had Pike and Lake Trout. Trolled deep diving Rapalas flatline directly behind the boat. Lure would dive to about 20 feet and we trolled in water from 60 to 90 feet deep. Marked fish at all depths below 15 feet, mostly deep and under bait fish schools. Anytime we marked a fish at 25 feet or less we would get a strike. I would cast behind the boat as far as I could then let out another 20 foot of line as I started the troll. Surface water temperature was 68 degrees at the start of the the week and climbed to 75 by the end of the week. Early morning and evening were best action and trout were in the 23" to 30" range. We also picked up Pike on these trolls including a fat 39" one.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Woody, I sit southeast about 45 miles from Sioux lookout right now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard - about 80 miles northeast of you, we have caught them trolling heavy, silver-colored spoons behind a 2 or 3 ounce chain sinker on wire line.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wabigoon, I grew up fishing Lac Seul out of Ear Falls back in the 60's. Hunted and fished all over NW Ontario from Terrace Bay west to Red Lake since then. Have friends in Dryden that just bought the cabin we fished from. I head back up in two weeks to fish outside Atikokan mostly for smallmouths and walleye. The lake we stay on there has lakers too but I have not spent time trying for them.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Can one fight them up in those warm surface temperatures and then release them back though the warm waters and have good survival rate?
I don't know, . . . That's why I am asking

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
LouisB,

In my case we were not catching any fish below about 30 feet. They were coming up in the water column chasing bait. As soon as we released them they swam quickly down and did not linger near the surface. We were using fairly heavy equipment so brought the fish in and released quickly. There is a problem if you are catching them deep, say 50 feet or more, and bring them to the surface too fast. Swim bladder expands and they are too buoyant to get back down deep.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There was an article in an old issue of "InFisherman" that dealt with this. If I get time, I will see if I can locate it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I know a biologist who did several studies on survival rates of released fish. Lake Trout were caught on Sturgen lake and Savant Lake and Long Lake near Longlac. Fish brought up from as deep as 130 ft had good survival rates as long as they swim straight back down to the depths—several fish were caught numerous times.
Surviaval rates for walleye was terrible if caught in water warmer than 60 degrees F—has something to do with lactic acid build-up in muscle tissue—fish seemed fine when released but died pretty regular after a couple of days.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I guess I get around Ontario quite a bit, I have caught trout on both Sturgen and Long Lake. My buddy owned camps on each at different times. Long Lake also had some big Brookies. I'll post pictures if I can find them.

Last edited by 54Woody; 07/03/18.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Long Lake
[Linked Image]d

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking good. The last lake trout I caught was at Flaming Gorge in UT/WY about 5 years ago We were fishing 60'-100' down for Kokanee Salmon. I caught 3-4 of them in the 5lb range, and one that was probably around 10-12 lb range. Mighty fine tasting. Put them in my sisters traeger with some apple wood. We caught 6-8 Kokanee too. They were fantastic.

Brookies are my favorite though. Never caught one more than about 3 lbs.

Last edited by Owl; 07/03/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Woody, I fished what they called Long Lake falls way back, same lake. East of Dryden a ways?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Eight hours East of Dryden, 40 miles North on the pulp haul road out of Terrace Bay. Lake has some interesting history with the timber industry and has many of what we called boomer logs drifted up against the bank. Large logs chained together at the ends to form a corral holding pulp logs for towing down the lake. Lake use to flow North but in the late fifties they cut a couple channels on the South end to increase the flow of the river going to Lake Superior so the hydro plant output could support the town and pulp mill.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
That would be different Long Lake.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Happy Birthday Ted !

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Kurt.

330 Million people are celebrating today! wink

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy Birthday Ted.

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, Mel, how are you doing? Keeping that 9.3X62 warmed up every once in a while, I hope.

God bless,
Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doing fine Ted. Glad to see you posting. And many God bless you also. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,258
Posts18,467,084
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.