Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Why would you want to shoot an elk at 800 yards?

Brad, it’s usually not by design to shoot an elk at 7-8 hundred yards. In my part of the country, it happens sometimes that the pressure from hunters, either pushes the bulls and herds into areas that are difficult, if not impossible, to get a stalk on them. Or, the ability to cover ground by rig to get closer isn’t possible due to private timber areas with access closed to motorized traffic.

Then, I have to decide if the current weather will allow me to make an accurate shot from a solid shooting position...In 40 years and 31 elk killed. Only 6 have been at ranges some may consider absurdly irresponsible. I won’t say, I’ve been lucky to not have a wounding because that wouldn’t accurately reflect my abilities behind the scope with the rifle I shoot, the optics I have, the bullets I use, and the rangefinder/binos I hunt with...Not mentioning the years of rounds fired in practice with the same rifle at these distances.

If I’m taking that shot, the only thing I feel would prevent a solid kill shot is if the bull, right as I squeezed, decided to stick his nose up the rear end of a cow who happened to run up on him...That could happen at 300 yards just as easily...

I think your question is fair and not meant as a snark...I am not pounding my chest, saying, hey look at me for the appeal of those who don’t know me....I am a good hunter. Responsible for my decisions in the field. If I was to wound an animal “knock on wood”. Me and my pard’s would tear up the mountain locating the animal...And, if I we couldn’t locate it after a second day...I would consider my tag punched..😎

Brad, the pack out with an elk and 3 guys....Sucks! 😫

Last edited by Beaver10; 04/15/18.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
800 yards is a long shot!! I don’t have the skills to hit something that far away.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't either but plenty do. I wouldn't want to be double that distance from aalf just to give one example

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
With either of these cartridges you mention, you had better plan on practicing with either before you take a poke at 800 yards. While they'll both do the job as other (magnums) will do, it comes down to the Indian, not the arrow.

With that said, speed and BC rules in the wind.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by devnull
With either of these cartridges you mention, you had better plan on practicing with either before you take a poke at 800 yards. While they'll both do the job as other (magnums) will do, it comes down to the Indian, not the arrow.

He's already said he plans to practice. Which cartridges would require less practice?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TDN
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I don’t have a dog in this fight, I mean discussion...But, I do have 6 one shot bang flops between 725 and 847 yards on elk with my Sendero 300 RUM....No flinch. No trigger jerk...Just nice solid holds across the top of my hunting pack.

I would assume a shooter with solid skills BTS would be successful in producing a one shot kill with 1625-1800 FPS with penetrating and expanding bullets. 180gr NAB’s work fantastic in my RUM...I can’t judge abilities via my keyboard...

But, I would know it in a heartbeat, in the field, if a guy was capable of making an 800 yard, one shot stop, just by how he was going about setting up for the shot, using calibers being discussed... 😎

Honestly,I wouldn't even think of an 800 yard shot right now. In my OP I said I may never shoot an animal that far. I do want to put together a fairly light weight hunting rifle capable of killing that far so I can start practicing at longer ranges. I'll never shoot at an animal that far until I am confident that I can make the shot,because I have made the shot a lot in practice.

Built one a bit like you're thinking. 6.5 SAUM (same/same PRC), comes in at 8.75 lbs as you see it. Recoil is no problem at all and Im not limited by numbers or equipment... just conditions and my shooting. So, another vote for the PRC

[Linked Image]
I very much like that rifle!! Care to share the specs?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kaleb

He's already said he plans to practice. Which cartridges would require less practice?

I was thinking the same thing...

TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks pointer,

Its a M70 Classic SS short action w/ a Bartlein #3 fluted, 1" shank cut at 23"
Bansner stock, aluminum bottom metal, talleys and an LRHS on top.
Really like the way it balances and how its been shooting 143 ELDXs.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking I could very much like that! I've been thinking a M70 WSM would make a very nice SAUM/PRC. If I could find the right one at the right price...

I had bought a Kimber MT WSM to convert to SAUM years ago, but ended up selling it to help pay for a couple of tags I didn't expect to draw. Thinking I need to get back to getting parts for one after I get the boys outfitted a bit more. Thanks for the info.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gents, RH, I'm sorry for temporarily hijacking this thread when the OP was seeking opinions on the 6.5 and 308. I read the original post and saw 300 Winchester as an option, and I went all in with my 300 RUM...The thread appears back on track and now...

And, I am curious to learn something from you all with knowledge...A couple months ago, I bought a Nosler rifle in 270 WSM for strictly Blacktail deer hunting. I wanted a lighter rifle then what I've been using for years and the 270 WSM shaved almost 4lbs in weight....My question is on the 6.5 SAUM. Is there an advantage on the SAUM over the 6.5 Creed??? If so, what are the major differences? And what about the 6.5 SAUM versus the 270 WSM?

At this moment, I am happy with my 270 WSM...It shoots 140g NAB's like a champ hitting paper. I am just curious if I left anything on the table by not looking at the SAUM before I bought the Nosler...Thanks. Beaver10

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only thing you leave on the table when you shoot a .270..... is your heterosexuality.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
The only thing you leave on the table when you shoot a .270..... is your heterosexuality.

Laffin!!! Dog, how do you find me??? I try to fly under your radar with my gay schit but to no avail...At least deciphering your post. I am solid with my "Pussy Rig" over the SAUM...Nice to know bro. Grin!

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

BHAHAHA.....that needs to be a sig line for sure!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lanche...Don't encourage him. It only ends badly for me...I know you both have a "reach around party" going between you two with Dogs 7mm and your 7 WSM love affair...

Last edited by Beaver10; 04/16/18.

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lanche...Don't encourage him. It only ends badly for me...I know you both have a "reach around party" going between you two with Dogs 7mm and your 7 WSM love affair...

HAHA.....he has a 7 WSM as well??? Nice!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Shocking...Big Grin!

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 7 WSM with 180’s is the most for the least currently

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Shocking...Big Grin!

I guess I am lost why that is shocking....

But I am not in the cool kid crowd to know all the nuances on this forum, just enjoy the reading.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lanche, you're a cool kid...

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

So True ! There's a big difference between "hunting" and engaging a Game animal target at 800 + yds.. At that range you are shooting at the animal, not hunting it. Lots of illusions out there. Try hunting.

When applied by competent people,with the right intent, common sense goes along wayt
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.