Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone shot in these? What did you like or not like? Why?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot IDPA every month as a local match. I haven't shot any of the sanctioned events like the IDPA Indoor Nationals, although I would like to. IDPA is fun, its a good tactical "game", but it's got a lot of rules. And the rules are hard to keep up with and sometimes confusing.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My competitive shooting has only been CMP and NRA Highpower. My only exposure to any of the pistol stuff has been the rule books. First I went through the Action Pistol one and though, "well that's interesting and doable." Next I went through the IDPA book and was a bit puzzled about some of the stuff they worried about. Lastly I went through the USPCA. That seemed even worse.

Of course these are very different, and more would be obvious after seeing and shooting a match. The thing I found most odd coming from a rifle background is how the pistol competitions treat rounds that are not fired. In highpower saved rounds are just missed opportunities with no further penalties. The pistol rules treat saved rounds much more severely as though your first duty is to get the rounds and only secondarily care about if they hit.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Youper
My competitive shooting has only been CMP and NRA Highpower. My only exposure to any of the pistol stuff has been the rule books. First I went through the Action Pistol one and though, "well that's interesting and doable." Next I went through the IDPA book and was a bit puzzled about some of the stuff they worried about. Lastly I went through the USPCA. That seemed even worse.

Of course these are very different, and more would be obvious after seeing and shooting a match. The thing I found most odd coming from a rifle background is how the pistol competitions treat rounds that are not fired. In highpower saved rounds are just missed opportunities with no further penalties. The pistol rules treat saved rounds much more severely as though your first duty is to get the rounds and only secondarily care about if they hit.

?

Not sure what you are talking about with “saved rounds” in action pistol.

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The pistol group doesn't call them saved rounds. I borrowed that term from High Power. I'm talking about not firing all the rounds required by a stage, either because of time or malfunction.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Not engaging, or not hitting targets results in massive time penalties.

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Exactly, that is what I was getting at.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NRA Action is like shooting skeet with a handgun. Same targets, same match.

IDPA - "I Don't Practice Anymore". Lotsa tacticool types that like to "get some and keep it real". Started when IPSC got crazy with the equipment race. Matches are usually pretty big and a basic rig will get ya shooting.

IPSC - fast and furious with pistols. You can spend yourself silly and shoot til the cows come home. Has some overtones of a puss fest in recent years because guys like to cry. They finally dailed it back a little with classes for the working man that doesn't want to refi his house for a competitive class to shoot in. I did open class for years until I realized I should eat something other than ramen noodles. Best gig going IMHO is a Glock and production class and buckets of 9mm. Not a lot of "this stuff is fo real man". It's a game and you play it.

As far as "which class to shoot" if you're rich without kids and want to be knee deep, Open all the way. If you're a normal Joe, Production.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Exactly, that is what I was getting at.

Is this an Abbott and Costello routine?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 16bore
NRA Action is like shooting skeet with a handgun. Same targets, same match.

IDPA - "I Don't Practice Anymore". Lotsa tacticool types that like to "get some and keep it real". Started when IPSC got crazy with the equipment race. Matches are usually pretty big and a basic rig will get ya shooting.

IPSC - fast and furious with pistols. You can spend yourself silly and shoot til the cows come home. Has some overtones of a puss fest in recent years because guys like to cry. They finally dailed it back a little with classes for the working man that doesn't want to refi his house for a competitive class to shoot in. I did open class for years until I realized I should eat something other than ramen noodles. Best gig going IMHO is a Glock and production class and buckets of 9mm. Not a lot of "this stuff is fo real man". It's a game and you play it.

As far as "which class to shoot" if you're rich without kids and want to be knee deep, Open all the way. If you're a normal Joe, Production.

Pretty solid summary.

I'd go with whatever was closest and most frequent.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot both USPSA and IDPA on occasion. I use my duty gun for both and it’s practice that forces you to push yourself. If you’re like me and you hate to lose it makes you want to be more competitive so you start looking for edges in equipment instead of training more. So far I’ve seen my scores rise without new gear, but not sure how much longer I can stand to not tweak things or buy specialized gear that I won’t carry.
In an unlimited budget world I’d be talking about 3 different guns. But that world isn’t my world so I use my duty gun and holster.

Oh and if you don’t like to be humbled, don’t go. If you can stand a dose of humility and are willing to see how much better you can get, go shoot. When the Simpsons Comic Book Guy and the cute little Real Estate chick from all the for sale signs make your dick feel small, you’ll want to cry, but for some it’s good motivation to know how much you could improve. If you want to feel less sucky try IDPA first then USPSA. Either beat the [bleep] out of stationary targets and range plinking.

I’ve met nothing but nice people out there at two different clubs. I enjoy it and wish I had more time to go more often. Relatively cheap fun if you want to keep it cheap.

Last edited by exbiologist; 04/24/18.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Everyone seems to have confirmed what I gleaned from the rule books. Frankly the NRA action pistol is the only one of the three that seems appealing to me, but I can see it being boring for others. I've heard one or two horror stories about stumbling demented child-kings being course designers for the others. Spending a day living & shooting in their fantasy world isn't what I'm looking for. Maybe I've got it all wrong though, I've never seen any of these matches. I like a known course of fire.

The only thing we have around here is Bullseye and 3 gun. I want to shoot with both hands, and I don't want to shoot a shotgun so that cuts those out.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Everyone seems to have confirmed what I gleaned from the rule books. Frankly the NRA action pistol is the only one of the three that seems appealing to me, but I can see it being boring for others. I've heard one or two horror stories about stumbling demented child-kings being course designers for the others. Spending a day living & shooting in their fantasy world isn't what I'm looking for. Maybe I've got it all wrong though, I've never seen any of these matches. I like a known course of fire.

The only thing we have around here is Bullseye and 3 gun. I want to shoot with both hands, and I don't want to shoot a shotgun so that cuts those out.

If I was able to shoot three gun nearby I would look no further.

Fun and practical IMO. Although I look forward to the day that the shotgun is omitted and everybody sticks with two guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3 Gun seems like it would be expensive as hell to be competitive in. 3 guns = 3x the cost. Think ammo, backup guns.

Of course, you could do it cheaper and go without having backup guns. But a serious competitor wouldn't do that. Still, you have to practice with each weapon. 3x ammo costs.

Last edited by Tyrone; 04/25/18.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If NRA action looks like your thing, go for it. I think it's more like "you against match" than the others. Like golf or skeet, you can easily measure your ability and progress. Hard with the others since you essentially become a percentage of what the best guy did. Whether it's your best day or the best shooters worst. 25+ years ago I won a stage at a match as a "C" class IPSC shooter, Todd Jarret being second. My best day, his worse. Only meaningful for 10 minutes of ribbing between the guys. I never made it out of "A" class and everyone knows how Todd faired...

Depends on what appeals to you. I like the game side and could care less about tactical procedures. Even prefer the international targets over the standard IPSC ones.

Last person I'd want shooting at my is an IPSC guy though.....or a 5' Filipino gal...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

718 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 70 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.