Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Off and on over the years I read an article of, or see a reference to Paco Kelly, but really know very little about the man. What little I do know it would seem he has lead an adventurous life. Anyone else read his stuff?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All I know about him are references to his load data for lever-action rifles. All of which I consider to be "overly enthusiastic" (which you may read to mean crazy hot.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've read enough to know he's got quite an imagination and is, shall we say, quite a story teller.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've read his stuff on the .358 Win. and .35 Whelen. I did try his H335/250 gr. bullet for the Whelen and it was spot on and accurate in three rifles chambered to the Whelen. Not so sure about his stuff on that 290 gr. cast bullet. I have two molds and so far none of my rifles, .358 or Whelen shoot it worth chit. Some of his load info is damn hot though.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've read enough to know he's got quite an imagination and is, shall we say, quite a story teller.

This sez it all!

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out more on Paco and his writings over on Leverguns.com forum

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I know Paco.. His lever gun loads are ambitious ... But he has led an interesting life.. Hunting animals is only part of the story..

Molon Labe
R
RPK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Wyo Coyote hunter.. Agree. Animals only a SMALL part of the story.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WCH

Although I don’t know Paco...
it seems to me that he’s a character. wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This makes me: A. Want to read his stuff. B. Not use any of his reloading data.

Originally Posted by jwall
WCH

it seems to me that he’s a character. wink

Jerry
Thumbs up on that.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have some of his rimfire modifier tools. Interesting stuff.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Paco is part of the community and one is free to choose between benefiting from his writings or blindly following his every word. Cautions against using his load data highlight my own dogma......I don't use anyone's load data nor expect them to use mine. I don't even use P.O. Ackley's data, but have surely benefited from his writings. And that fella Harry Pope? Made a muzzle loader into a benchrest record holder? What??????????

A few of Paco's articles can be found here: http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm He might teach a fella something if the fella has a little patience.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know him, but have known some men very much like him, and they all ARE indeed very much individuals. He's of a bent that you don't see much these days, but he does his OWN thinking, and his own experimenting. And his loads are indeed HIS loads, and he's never recommended them - just reported on them in HIS guns. He seems to be a good gunsmith, ,especially on lever guns - a favorite of his. His values are NOT the same as the average yuppie or millenial, to be sure. He's very much old school, and even there, very opinionated at that. But men like him CAN teach us all things we'd do very well to learn. He has ZERO of the "herd mentality" that's so prevalent these days. I probably wouldn't choose to do some of the things he has, but I always enjoy reading about his exploits and results. I think most folks wouldn't realize how humble he can be, or at least that's my impression. Most folks think any definitive statement of certainty, these days, as bravado. But certainty is something we need MORE of these days, not less! He speaks from his OWN experience,and if he's merely thinking about or talking about something he has no experience with, he tends to always identify it as such.

I like the guy. I might not always enjoy being one of his "running buddies," but I could say that about most guys these days, too, so .... we'll call that "good to go," I think? I never believed in his .22 RF flat pointing tools until I used one a buddy had, and .... darned if everything he wrote about them isn't true!!!! Wonder of wonders! I guess I still have a lot of "kid" in me, because I still enjoy a surprise.

We've come to a point in this country where folks seem to think that anyone who doesn't conform to the "fashion of the day" is WRONG. But they're not. Mostly, they're just different. And in Paco's case, I say "Viva la' difference!" Like him or not, he's always interesting, and worth reading, if one can possibly accept reading something that counters one's own ideas. He keeps things fresh for me, and keeps me from getting lulled into the "same old same old" that seems to pervade the conversations in WAY too many gunshops today. Just MHO, but ... FWIW????

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Blackwater

I like your post per P K. and especially, “herd mentality” ! ! !
WE’VE been suffering from herd mentality round here for a while now. It directs me AWAY from some discussions.

I also resignate with “yuppie” and/or “millennial” concensus of today.
I like what I like - I don’t care if NO ONE else does NOT like it. WE, all of us, should choose what we like/want regardless of other opinions.

Hats Off to Mr. Paco and all who follow their own drums !!
Example — Bob Hagel *** all his loads are NOT bombs... I know from personal experience.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/10/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used his appache bullet lube, it's as good as the best lubes and better than most. I made a 22rf flat point tool on my lathe to his specs, and it works as advertised. I've used his 357 mag loads in a ruger blackhawk, and they perform as written.

He's the real deal, and I've enjoyed every one of the articles he's written.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

He's the real deal, and I've enjoyed every one of the articles he's written.

This

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.