Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm about to teach my first class on Service Rifle Marksmanship. What subject(s) for those who have been in the game do you wish you'd known sooner?

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a serious reply, not a smartalec comment: The cheapest way to get into it. When I was young enough to do it well I couldn't afford it. Sort of like hunting mountain goats.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Youper, our club provides our Jr. program with everything they need til they are 21 for free. all they have to do is show up.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Originally Posted by m1rifleman
Thanks Youper, our club provides our Jr. program with everything they need til they are 21 for free. all they have to do is show up.

That is great!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Originally Posted by m1rifleman

That is great!

Real Great.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The proper age to start kids at a given discipline.

I've seen too many kids come into a program when they were too small for it & flame out. They do crappy, it gets in their head, then they check out, possibly permanently. (It will take me decades to see if the ever come back.) If a kid is too small for, say Air Rifle position shooting, they need to step down to something like BB gun or a bench league.

I'm watching one kid right now in a HP league that is too small even for Air Rifle. But, unfortunately, his father took it personally when I told him his kid isn't ready for HP and that he should step down to Bench or BB Gun. For a lot of fathers, I think it's an ego thing, thinking their kid is beyond their years and I hope this guy pays attention to the scores his kid is putting up. Maybe that will snap him out of it. But so far, he's been avoiding reality like the plague. I personally would not let the kid on my 600 yard firing line, he is dangerous. But I'm not in position to make that call.

My advice to you & your HP league is that if a kid has more than say, 3 misses at 600 that he be pulled from the line & the program.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The importance of natural point of aim and trigger control.

There are several ways to set up a sling, everybody thinks their way is the best, There are variations on position whether it is standing, sitting, or prone.

However NPA is a go-no go. it is either right or not, no such thing as close enough.

Same goes for trigger control. When the hammer falls the rifle should not move. The only movement allowed is "none".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike70560: You make good points. I thought the OP was asking about things specific to HP, but maybe not.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I was, and Mike is right. 2 important foundations.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
m1rifleman,

You and your club should be commended for supporting the junior program.

I am the equivalent of a 54 year old junior. Back in the 90s I made Master XTC and Long Range with a match rifle, seldom shooting service rifle. After sitting out of the sport for 15 years (shot a few matches in that period mostly midrange) I started shooting service rifle last year with the intention of becoming distinguished. Shooting four local EIC matches last year and scoring between 462 and 470 I realized that was not good enough for points. Those boys in Carthage and Houston are tough.

After two terrible EIC matches this year (448 and 452) I really started looking at targets and thinking about what was happening. When the rifle does not settle back center of the target each time I will see targets with 5-tens and 5-nines all strung in the same direction. The first shots are probably fine and throughout the string I drift to the true NPA.

People can argue all day is a web sling is better than a leather, or should both keepers be below the frog or should one be on top or if the no pulse is better. They are all SR legal so I say whatever works better for you. But NPA is either right or not.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To ad to NPA, Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire dry fire... try to dry fire so much you think you'll break the gun.

It shows not only NPA but follow through, etc....

Nothing will work without NPA. With NPA and without lots of dry fire you won't get anywhere.

After that, ball and dummy drills are super.

And somewhere in there, likely not so much for starting kids, but remember cross training is never a negative. Shooting silhouettes made my offhand better, shooting bullseye pistol made my rapids better etc... small bore prone A36 targets made my 600 better.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Positions are not "one size fits all". There is not a single position that works for everyone. Instead a good instructor will incorporate the principles of a good position (bone support, no muscling, good head position, trigger moving straight back, etc) to help the new shooter find "his" or "her" own perfect position.

2. Don't try to time your shots in your wobble. Accept your wobble. Shoot your wobble. Work on reducing your wobble.

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/25/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ChrisF

2. Don't try to time your shots in your wobble. Accept your wobble. Shoot your wobble. Work on reducing your wobble.

What do you mean by shoot your wobble? Shoot through it?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Accept that your sights will wobble. Center up your wobble with NPOA and break the shot as cleanly (without disturbing the sights) as possible within that wobble. With practice, you can decrease the size of your wobble. But the shots won't go center if you can't execute cleanly within your wobble.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ran across this reference. Different ways of explaining;
http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t9601-accept-your-hold-definition#82187

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It’s kinda like a two circle Venn diagram and knowing how much intersection is enough.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Learn technique, don’t get wrapped up In talk about “ the best equipment” ( gun, barrel, ammo etc).

All errors are additive. For beginners, the biggest gains are from within ourselves, not from “ the best equipment.”

I’ve seen it in every shooting sport In which I participated ( Smallbore 3-position rifle, air rifle, Bullseye pistol / 2700, flintlock competion, skeet/trap/ sporting clays, Traditional archery. ). Somehow it makes you better to others to talk a lot about equipment ( “Wow, he knows a lot about this stuff , he must be good. “).

Once your learn to compete, you can apply it to any discipline. Give a great shooter a moderately accurate firearm, and they will outshoot a moderate level shooter using a firearm capable of one-hole groups.

Master the basics. Stay humble. Push yourself. Compete against yourself. I had a piece of tape on the butt of my 22 target rifle with a saying on it : “ No man is in competition with another man. He is in conflict with his own errors.” I still believe in it.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't believe that spent primer crap that stick pushes, only WELL spent primers matter. Anyone can go bang. LOL.

I wish I'd learned to shoot like Justin Utley!

Don't discount having the best gun and ammo though, it will help you mentally... to know a muffed shot couldn't have been the guns fault... at least for me it did.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Practice does not make perfect.Perfect practice makes perfect.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
1st, start with good equipment, so that you know without a doubt your poorly placed shot was your fault and not the rifle.
2nd, learn to shoot offhand and all the other positions will be a piece of cake.
When I would practice, offhand was all I did, 44,66,88 rounds for each session.
forget the LAST shot, it's gone and most of all it's just a hole in a piece of paper, not the end of the world.
Analyze your performance, keep good notes about zeros and loads, track your rounds fired. Barrels wear out faster than you think, especially CM.
LASTLY, have a good time, the better scores will come.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.