Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Google BLR fails to fire before you buy one. I had one in 358 winchester. It was a very lightweight accurate gun...but it wouldnt always shoot when you wanted it too. I asked around and found out my problem wasn't that uncommon and no one that I talked to including a couple of smiths could figure the problem out. They are complicated guns and IMO are not built for tough environments.

GB1

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by yukon254
Google BLR fails to fire before you buy one. I had one in 358 winchester. It was a very lightweight accurate gun...but it wouldnt always shoot when you wanted it too. I asked around and found out my problem wasn't that uncommon and no one that I talked to including a couple of smiths could figure the problem out. They are complicated guns and IMO are not built for tough environments.

my thought or 2 cents on rifle toughest : kinda depends on the owner of the rifle and how he takes care of it , the other thought is many new bolt rifles are not very tough anyway- anymore , I just purchased a 50 year old 7 mag. Sako finbear and to be honest this old rifle is twice the bolt rifle compared to new bolt rifles ! so far for my son and myself we have been very impressed with these Browning BLR`s, and the BLR in 300 Win.Mag. I own is a very powerful rifle and its been flawless for us but it does have a lot of recoil and its also very accurate too , but one thing I take very careful care of all of my rifles.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
N
N
I live in Anchorage and took my last black bear with my BLR 450 Marlin up the Deshka River. At the end of this month I'm headed up the river again for another spring bear, this time I'm taking my new BLR chambered in 325 WSM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
welcome to this place norm!

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by normK
I live in Anchorage and took my last black bear with my BLR 450 Marlin up the Deshka River. At the end of this month I'm headed up the river again for another spring bear, this time I'm taking my new BLR chambered in 325 WSM.

if you can after your spring bear hunt either reply on this site or p.m. how that BLR work out please. thank you,Pete53 and yes GOOD LUCK and be safe

Last edited by pete53; 05/15/18.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pete- not Alaska, but I have a buddy out here that bought his BLR 308 in High School ( early 70s) in Telluride, CO. He still uses it, on everything from mule deer/elk/antelope even a cow Bison! This many decades of rain/snow/dust/mud all the different temp swings and yet, his rifle is still going strong! I had a '81 steel BLR 358 but the wood was too nice for me to subject it to hunt, ha. I always looked at the BLR , with its rack/pinion system as a very rugged rifle, myself. I know another fellow who has used one of the newer ones in 30-06 out here since they came out with them! Go for it!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They are prone to being "over-levered" and then the rack-n-pinion is out of whack and broken. Also, they can shear the teeth of the bolt.

I wouldn't want one where my life was dependent on it, but for non-essential messing around, they are fun enough.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, I seem to remember reading about the rack/pinion getting out of time but figured it was caused by incorrect re-assembling after cleaning? I guess it depends a lot on how well someone takes care of it in the field, etc.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by pete53
any of you Alaskan`s ever use a Browning BLR levers up there in Alaska ?

"Browning BLR levers" = Browning Browning Lever Rifle Levers

Last edited by Reloder28; 05/17/18.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being a gun guy you’ll do just fine with whatever you use I’m sure.

But for many of us good enough is good enough, until it isn’t.

Phil’s daughter latest blog on Spomers website illustrates that perfectly.

There lil more unnerving ime than to be adequately armed and then suddenly find oneself unarmed

Out in the Bush anything that quits working properly sucks, from campstoves to inflatable mats, but particularly firearms, boats and aircraft

It’s those rare instances that cause a fellow to rethink the term good enough

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know 'Stick has one in 7-08 and that man is hard on equipment. If it wasn't suitable for AK weather, we'd know about it.

Also, you know Alaska is spread out as much as the CONUS from top to bottom and east to west?

Depending on where in Alaska and when in Alaska you're going to hunt, the answers are different.

Except, of course, you can find people hunting with boat paddle stainless Ruger M77s every where, old Model 70s everywhere and Rem 700s and 721s everywhere, and you can fall off a boat anywhere in Alaska and swim to the nearest village and find 223 and 30-06 ammo.

So, yes a BLR will work, in 30-06 or 308 or 7-08.

You can bring something bigger, but the above seemed to work just fine when I lived there.

I work for a company from Kodiak, and there's still a lot of people shooting bears with 30-06 rifles and good bullets.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
had a chance to talk to a very smart-good gunsmith who has taken a few BLR`s apart says these Browning levers are built very well .I also have a good friend who has used BLR`s and seen some really good groups shot by other people ,friend was a sniper in the service overseas and at the Whitehouse and still shoots very well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The first centerfire rifle I ever purchased was a BLR in 7mm Rem Mag in the early-mid 1990s, with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40. I had used my dad’s Marlin 32 Special and loved a lever action, and had also used my friend’s dad’s Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. I liked the 7 mag and shot well with the M700.

I thought the BLR would be the best of both. I was in my early-mid 20s and was real excited about it. Unfortunately, it was clunky in a long action and with a long barrel - it didn’t seem balanced. Stock configuration at the time did not work well with a scope and did not handle recoil well. The trigger may not have been the best - it was a long time ago and I don’t recall for sure. It was very well made, the action was very smooth and I really wanted to like it - it was a nice rifle. I didn’t shoot well with it, didn’t enjoy shooting it, so I reluctantly sold it and bought a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Stainless in 7mm Mag - the first of five M70s so far.

I think they may have later changed the stock design to work better with a scope and it seems like they changed from steel to aluminum receivers to save weight. Like I said, it was a very nice gun - it functioned well and was well made; but maybe the platform wasn’t the best choice for a long action/magnum caliber with a long barrel and scope.

After that experience, my thought has been that levers are best as short-action carbines and they are pretty sweet at that. I still have a Marlin 336.

Over the years, I have considered buying another BLR in a shorter cartridge such as a 243 or 7mm-08, but never could get excited enough to do it. I don’t know if they had two action lengths, but a short action would likely be nicer if there is such thing. May be better in WSM than a standard length magnum. I wouldn’t want one in 270 or 30-06. Your experience may be better than mine and I hope it works well for you.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by BCJR
There is nothing mystical about firearms in Alaska. Ironically people here seem less concerned about these things than those in the CONUS. or COMUS as so many on here refer to it. Just bring what you've got 30-06 and up. You don't have to buy a new rifle to come hunting in AK.

True and great advice...

Not so much. You don't need 30/06 and above but I will say that 15' of rain a year and salt, is a difference maker.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i never liked the straight grip handle on a BLR,but do like the pistol grip much better,also the aluminum receiver makes the gun feel better too. both of my BLR`s are pistol grip S.S. rifles they feel fine and shoot very accurate. I own a 308 win. and a 300 win. mag I am very surprised how accurate both shoot, I have found that when I reload I use a Lee factory crimp die ,Barnes bullets and both shoot under a 1 inch moa at 100 yards. I have on order a Browning BLR s.s. 7 rem. mag now that I plan to use when I go to Alaska and did purchase already a 3-10x42 Nightforce scope and hope this combination works well for me at home and in Alaska.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There is nothing mystical about firearms in Alaska. Ironically people here seem less concerned about these things than those in the CONUS. or COMUS as so many on here refer to it. Just bring what you've got 30-06 and up. You don't have to buy a new rifle to come hunting in AK.

True and great advice...

Not so much. You don't need 30/06 and above but I will say that 15' of rain a year and salt, is a difference maker.

Stainless is handy, but not a deal breaker.... we hunt in rain and salt too. Though I’ve always taken care of shiit....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
oh no, another one that strips the gun in the tent and oils it every night.... LOL. I"ll take SS any ol day if I can get it. It damn sure never hurts.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

True and great advice...

Stainless is handy, but not a deal breaker.... we hunt in rain and salt too. Though I’ve always taken care of shiit....

Ok.

But blue wood is still second tier. There comes a point when everything is wet and that shiet you us to take care of shiet is wet too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Slope77
The first centerfire rifle I ever purchased was a BLR in 7mm Rem Mag in the early-mid 1990s, with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40. I had used my dad’s Marlin 32 Special and loved a lever action, and had also used my friend’s dad’s Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. I liked the 7 mag and shot well with the M700.

I thought the BLR would be the best of both. I was in my early-mid 20s and was real excited about it. Unfortunately, it was clunky in a long action and with a long barrel - it didn’t seem balanced. Stock configuration at the time did not work well with a scope and did not handle recoil well. The trigger may not have been the best - it was a long time ago and I don’t recall for sure. It was very well made, the action was very smooth and I really wanted to like it - it was a nice rifle. I didn’t shoot well with it, didn’t enjoy shooting it, so I reluctantly sold it and bought a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Stainless in 7mm Mag - the first of five M70s so far.

I think they may have later changed the stock design to work better with a scope and it seems like they changed from steel to aluminum receivers to save weight. Like I said, it was a very nice gun - it functioned well and was well made; but maybe the platform wasn’t the best choice for a long action/magnum caliber with a long barrel and scope.

After that experience, my thought has been that levers are best as short-action carbines and they are pretty sweet at that. I still have a Marlin 336.

Over the years, I have considered buying another BLR in a shorter cartridge such as a 243 or 7mm-08, but never could get excited enough to do it. I don’t know if they had two action lengths, but a short action would likely be nicer if there is such thing. May be better in WSM than a standard length magnum. I wouldn’t want one in 270 or 30-06. Your experience may be better than mine and I hope it works well for you.

According to Browning's website, long action BLRs are 1" longer overall than short action BLRs after accounting for barrel length. They chamber for a broad range of cartridges including WSMs. I think the pistol grip stocks are well suited for handling recoil, but stock fit varies with the individual.

Browning: BLR Rifles in Current Production

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I hunt with a stainless rifle.. I leave it my gunboot in the back of the ranger sometimes it's been raining all day, sometimes raining at night. I will pack it around while hunting back in the gunboot forgotten until next day. I can do this with a blued rifle minus leaving it in the gunboot overnight. I bring it in the tent and wipe it down with remoil wipes. I will say moose hunting is not hard hunting, nor is caribou hunting. If you are going to hunt bears on Kodiak that can be some long days. At the end of the day all you want to do is relax and sleep not oil down a rifle. So I will say it depends what you are hunting up in Alaska and how hard you are hunting.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,353 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.