Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Highoctane
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Highoctane
Originally Posted by Savage_99
My Barnet cross bow's trigger mec. broke. It's jammed.

Back to the rifles.

That 150 dollar crossbow didn't turn out to be such a bargain aye.. The old addage, you get what you pay for looks like it came to fruition here.

Highoctane:

What crossbows do you use and recommend?

I have owned Mission and Tenpoint crossbows. I currently have a Tenpoint FX4. I understand that discretionary, slush-fund income varies among people and I also understand that there are some that simply will not spend upwards and in excess of 1k or more for a bow but when I decided to get into crossbows I wanted a QUALITY built weapon that I could be confident in and base my decision on the other points that crossbow hunting offers rather than be "soured" by a bow that wasn't reliable. Simply put, I didn't want a cheaply built bow to be the weak link or the deciding factor in my decision on whether I liked crossbow hunting or not.

Crossbows are immensely powerful weapons. We're talking from 130 lb and upward of 200 for limbs on compound style to over 300 lb limbs on some recurve style. It takes a well designed and built bow to take that kind of abuse shot after shot. Stewart-Haas Racing doesn't contract the local auto parts store brand for their racing engine needs.

As far as my recommendation, I'm partial to Tenpoint but there are some REALLY good bows, albeit not cheap, out there. Mission, Scorpyd, Horton, Darton, Parker, etc. If I was "looking" for a bow I would first figure out what I could spend. Remember, there's always the route of "gently used" bows. Then I would evaluate my hunting style, tree stands, ground blinds, stalking etc. Then I would start researching bows that fit my style. I would also peruse some of the crossbow forums, crossbow nation, AT's crossbow area etc and read what others are saying, but always read with a subjective mind. As we know, some are just disgruntled and want to be argumentative about everything.

And all two-position safeties. whistle smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got mine today, an Excalibur Matrix 380 Bulldog. One bolt assembly (apart from two screws for the quiver and mounting the scope). Took it outside and the first arrow was 4" low at 20 yards. Eight clicks and I'm on the money. Have to calibrate the scope for longer range after I play a bit.

Also ordered a crank. I can cock this okay, but at 66, I gotta be careful about putting myself out of action by not acting my age, and I want to shoot this thing a lot. Not many 130lb pulls left in this old back, I'm thinking. The crank reduces the effort to 12lbs.

This one wasn't cheap, but it's got a lifetime warranty and it should really hammer them. I'll pick up about 7 weeks in the deer woods by playing William Tell.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Just got mine today, an Excalibur Matrix 380 Bulldog. One bolt assembly (apart from two screws for the quiver and mounting the scope). Took it outside and the first arrow was 4" low at 20 yards. Eight clicks and I'm on the money. Have to calibrate the scope for longer range after I play a bit.

Also ordered a crank. I can cock this okay, but at 66, I gotta be careful about putting myself out of action by not acting my age, and I want to shoot this thing a lot. Not many 130lb pulls left in this old back, I'm thinking. The crank reduces the effort to 12lbs.

This one wasn't cheap, but it's got a lifetime warranty and it should really hammer them. I'll pick up about 7 weeks in the deer woods by playing William Tell.

Those 260 lb limbs are TOUGH...They'll max your "pucker" factor out ....LOL

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. My son, who's 6'5" and not old and fat gave it a whirl today for about 8 or ten shots, which was enough for him. He shoots a high-end compound at 70lbs but agreed this thing puts you in the game pretty quickly.

Funny, but this thing makes me want to grab my little recurve and play with that too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The triggers on both of my Barnett Recruits have broken and they are in the woodpile in the basement.

Now the trigger mechanism on the new $460 Barnett Whitetail Hunter will not hold the string back after working for twenty or so shots.

I never had trouble with my guns or cars or other machines. These crossbows are trouble so far.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The crank for my Excalibur came yesterday. Pretty pricey, but oh what a difference! Will make it possible to reload in a tree too. Very well made.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fiddled a bit more with my Matrix today. Corrected a slight cant in my scope mounting and tweaked the zero. Tried the 30 yard aiming point and it was a couple inches low, so I have to tweak the speed dial too.

Every shot fired so far with this thing after zeroing would have easily killed a deer. None have been more than a couple inches off. Gotta say, it's well worth the money, especially considering the lifetime warranty.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enjoy it. Crossbows are fine tools. I've had very little mechanical trouble with any of mine. My first Barnett did have an issue with the sights loosening up due to vibration, but a bit of locktight took care of that.
Unlike some vertical bow wet blankets believe, most crossbow men shoot a lot, for the enjoyment. I've had rounds shooting 300-400 shafts, open sights.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The Ravin's look nice , but man that's a lot of money . I have a Parker , it has been dependable and a killer . 125 gr Rage , it penetrates . Had one come toward me quartered , shot from a tree stand , went through the shoulder , rolled guts out the exit hole and broke the rear leg . Yeah I was impressed . Took two at fifty yds quartered away and a couple broadside shots at normal ranges , broadside . They all dropped quick .
Have a Barnett quad 400 , but after after shooting the Parker , I can't seem to get back into the Barnett . But it did kill just as well .
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 06/02/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just got two used crossbows, and a extra custom foreend. The fore end is an Excalibur micro to fit the Koda bow. I have not gotten it yet in the mail.

I got a Ravin R 9 and a Koda bow Zulu scout.

The ravin is lighter, better trigger, faster, more accurate.

The Koda bow is easier to maintain,and can break down for packing on mules.

Both are very impressive.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took my Matrix Bulldog 380 to 40 yards today. The speed dial setting of 330 I set at 30 yards continued to be spot-on. I did tweak the windage about an inch. So far, every bolt fired since I got this thing, including the shots fired at 20 yards before adjusting the scope, would have easily killed a deer. Shoud have tried this years ago.

I do have to run a mental checklist to avoid whoopsies. To date, I've "tested" the anti-dryfire mechanism once, and forgot to put the crank handle through the wriststrap once as well. No biggie with the dryfire, but if that crank runs loose on you it could smart.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 163bc, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 58 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.