Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I appreciate the info Dogshooter, some of your posts about your 260 ctr helped convince me to get one.

I've had the same issue occasionally with the SS scopes on other rifles, I just wanted to make sure that on the CTR it didn't happen a most of the time.

I'm guessing that the 260/308 magazine will work for the 6.5 Creedmoor as well?

BTW, here is a link to the 5 round mags but I have since learned that they are just blocked of 10 rounders
http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/compact-tactical-rifle-magazin-308-win-260-rem-5-rd/s57465173/

Last edited by Dude270; 01/07/18.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dude270
I appreciate the info Dogshooter, some of your posts about your 260 ctr helped convince me to get one.

It’s my wife’s rifle man, she reminds me of that fact quite frequently. I did get to watch her kill two coyotes with it Friday night.... and she loans it to me occasionally.

Creed mag is the same as the other two... Max COAL is 2.95”

Buddy of mine was hunting somewhere where the reg states you couldn’t use a magazine with greater than 5rd capacity. He simply drilled a couple holes in the Mag, and put some pop rivets in them so the follower would bottom out at 5 rds... don’t think he ever bothered to remove them.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's nice of her.
I'm thinking that the stainless creed wearing my gemtech tracker will be a lot of fun and could cover most of what I do with a rifle

Last edited by Dude270; 01/07/18.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Tikka T3's are excellent hunting rifle, i bought one for my wife and also for myself. super glad i did because they are sold out now.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by landlord44
Tikka T3's are excellent hunting rifle, i bought one for my wife and also for myself. super glad i did because they are sold out now.

Clark, did you go and reinvent yourself?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I've never had ejection issues with mine. I have SWFA low rings and a 3-9 SS on mine. I just had the stock painted Bazooka Green.

[Linked Image]

Scott
What paint did you use?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Scottfromdallas, what check weld do you have on your Tikka?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

Cheekweld on a MCM Game Hunter does me well! Most accurate rifle I have ever owned...143's go into tiny little groups - everytime!

Last edited by Hiaring8; 04/17/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
[Linked Image]

Cheekweld on a MCM Game Hunter does me well! Most accurate rifle I have ever owned...143's go into tiny little groups - everytime!

Looks way good and since its a CTR it shoots even better than it looks. smile Congrats man!

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
[Linked Image]

Looks way good and since its a CTR it shoots even better than it looks. smile Congrats man!

If money wasn't and issue, it would wear a 3-12x50 S&B or 4-16x42 ATACR, but for $600, the weaver tac is a damn lot of scope! Tracks true, good glass, great eye relief, pretty good reticle, FFP, and illumiation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by deflave
I forgot to add that this rifle fails to eject about 50% of the time if you leave the mag full.

Travis

Magazine issue?

The Tikka bottom metal or the Sako TRGs bottom metal?

I have AICS on mine and couldn't be happier.

[Linked Image]

Where do you get that stock

It's a Adjustable McMillan A3-5

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Seems like a lot of money.... just to get good cheekweld.

Factory stock.... two beers... and a dremel tool...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dog, what’s the story on the tape and numbers on your elevation turret? I know it likely yardage’s. Did you elect to go with this set up for quicker adjustments in the field versus using an App or taping a range chart to your stock? If you have time, will you post a picture of your turret on here so I can see it better?

I’m headed out this weekend to sight in SWFA 10X. I like easy and fast..Might want to follow 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I like the stock that Tikka uses for the CTR.

My only wish is that Tikka would make a "shorty" CTR mag with 5 round capacity, half the length of the current mag. Would be perfect for hunting/carry scenarios.

Of course, you can get there by going aftermarket DBM built for the Tikka and built to take AI/AICS.

I'd be intrigued by a Manners with the new Tikka mini chassis.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Beave..... yes, that is a BDC turret, and it works very well. Note in the picture there is also a drop chart taped to the magazine.

I like the BDC turret.... all it is, is a drop chart.... that’s taped to your turret, rather than your stock. It’s been working for me for about 15 years now, and it is definitely faster in the field, especially when you’re on the gun and the yardage changes (critter moves). With both eyes open, you can still keep the critter in the glass AND still see the “drop chart” and adjust the turret. No way you’re doing that with the chart taped anywhere else.

A lot of guys talk a lot of schitt about BDC type turrets.... and I guess I could understand.... if you shot a lot of different bullets. Once you settle on a load, why not go BDC? Move up a couple thousand feet in elevation.... then knock a click or two out.... opposite if you’re down a couple thousand feet.

What about wind? That’s easy too... that load has a 7 mph ‘wind bracket’. Meaning: at 7 mph, the drift is .1 Mil per 100 yards.... so if the wind is blowing 10-12..... and the shot is 400 yards, I’d hold .7 MILs of wind. If the shot is 750 yards, in a 7 mph wind, I hold .75 Mil of wind.... pretty simple and very effective. Wind Brackets are another handy tool for the Mil reticle shooter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Beave..... yes, that is a BDC turret, and it works very well. Note in the picture there is also a drop chart taped to the magazine.

I like the BDC turret.... all it is, is a drop chart.... that’s taped to your turret, rather than your stock. It’s been working for me for about 15 years now, and it is definitely faster in the field, especially when you’re on the gun and the yardage changes (critter moves). With both eyes open, you can still keep the critter in the glass AND still see the “drop chart” and adjust the turret. No way you’re doing that with the chart taped anywhere else.

A lot of guys talk a lot of schitt about BDC type turrets.... and I guess I could understand.... if you shot a lot of different bullets. Once you settle on a load, why not go BDC? Move up a couple thousand feet in elevation.... then knock a click or two out.... opposite if you’re down a couple thousand feet.

What about wind? That’s easy too... that load has a 7 mph ‘wind bracket’. Meaning: at 7 mph, the drift is .1 Mil per 100 yards.... so if the wind is blowing 10-12..... and the shot is 400 yards, I’d hold .7 MILs of wind. If the shot is 750 yards, in a 7 mph wind, I hold .75 Mil of wind.... pretty simple and very effective. Wind Brackets are another handy tool for the Mil reticle shooter.

Nothing wrong at all with the temporary BDC setup. As your barrel wears and velocity drops, you change altitude and temperature, switch bullets, etc, it’s easy to rip the tape off and put a new peice on. Not to mention that you can still see the MRAD scale underneath the BDC tape for reference if needed. The trouble comes when people start getting into fixed/permanent BDC reticles and turrets with no angular markings.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That turret is for the 123 Scenar at 2850.... i shot it from sea level to 11k.... in less than a week. It’s set-up for my home altitude of 5000’ ASL, or 25 inHg barometric pressure. At sea level I simply add a click per 200 yards to 600 yards, then a click per 100 after that, all the way to a thousand. Opposite for 10k, subtract a click per 200 yards out to 600, then a click per hundred after that.

I’ve found it’s much for practical to shoot one turret/chart, and learn to make minute intuitive adjustments based on pressure, temp, etc. It’s the same thing we do with wind, only in a broader scale. I found the more I used my phone for “dope”.... the more I skullphucked shots that used to be natural and relatively simple.

The BDC is also SUPER easy for the kids/wife/friends to use. Dial to the range, hold wind, WHAMMY! I have several videos of other people running my rifles where you can see how quickly the BDC works.... you can also hear me in a couple videos telling them to “take a click out at 500, and two out at 600”.... or to add a couple clicks when it’s cold, etc.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Little more time on paper with the CTR.

Went out with 3 boxes of factory stuff: Hornady ELD-M 140, Prime 130, Hornady Black 140 BTHP. The Hornady black is a run just for Academy Sports & Outdoors, and from what I've read - its probably just re-branded Hornady American Gunner.

Results were good. All the ammo shot well. Most accurate look like the cheap stuff - Hornady Black/Gunner. Best group being the very first I shot - fouling shot followed by 4 in .15 inches then 1 I threw out. Next best was the Prime and ELD-M.

I was hoping the Prime would be a little tighter than .75-ish MOA. I'd like to chop this barrel to 18 and run suppressed 100% of the time.

All of this from a factory gun with factory loads an no tweaking. I imagine this gun would really shine with handloads. That said... a half MOA gun with really affordable factory ammo means its probably not worth my time to try and shrink that any. Not for a hunting and plinking gun. Here are the groups:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.