Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've only been shooting/ reloading BP cartridge for 4 years. (95% Condition 1873 Trapdoor, -1883 cartouche)

I retire May 24th this year, age 57, after 39 years with the Boeing Company.

Here is what I ordered from Shiloh. Don't hate me. smile

Model type Recommended by a forum member from another forum over 2 years ago I believe when I started researching! Last August I visited both Shiloh and Sharps,complete with a tour of each.
Quigley Match 2020, here I come!
16 month wait.....

1874 MONTANA ROUGHRIDER
Options:
CALIBER: 45-70;
BARREL LENGTH: 30";
BARREL FEATURES: NONE;
BARREL WEIGHT: HVY.OCT;
WOOD UPGRADES: SEMI-FANCY (+$306.00);
LENGTH OF PULL - SHOTGUN BUTTSTOCKS ONLY!: NONE ;
BUTTPLATE: TRADITIONAL STEEL (+$96.00);
METAL FINISHES: PACK HARDEN (+$300.00);
BACKGROUND FILL - (ENGRAVED FRENCH GRAY ONLY): NONE;
BRASS ESCUTCHEONS: BRASS (+$25.00);
TRADITIONAL CHECKERING: NONE;
SLING SWIVELS: NONE;
CUSTOM BEDDING: CUSTOM BED (+$50.00);
FOREARM TIPS: NONE;
HARTFORD COLLAR: NONE;
POLISHED SCREWS: FIREBLUED (+$77.00);
SCHNABBLE ON PISTOL GRIP: SCHNABBLE (+$92.00);
REAR BARREL SIGHT: DOVETAIL FILLER (+$35.00);
VERNIER TANG SIGHTS: #107 - LONG RANGE (+$353.00);
FRONT SIGHT: MVA #113 (+$167.00);
DRILL AND TAP MVA SCOPE: NONE;

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 04/22/18.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dang fine rifle you'll have to be sure. Just for fun you might want to have them use either a reamer with the 7 degree lead built in, or I think they have a reamer copied from an original Borchardt chamber. That way if you decide to bail off down the paper patch trail, you'll be good to go, and either will shoot grease groove bullets just fine.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good tip, Ranch13!
I'll see if I can call them today and add that.
PP bullets is not something I've done yet, but it is intriguing!

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 04/23/18.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the retirement. I have a buddy there in WA that works for Boeing also. He's 54. Just ran the Boston Marathon. I wonder how long before he will retire.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sportsdad60
Good tip, Ranch13!
I'll see if I can call them today and add that.
PP bullets is not something I've done yet, but it is intriguing!

Even if you never wander off on the paper patch trail that 7 degree lead works very well with greasers.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Congratulations, Enjoy that rifle Sportsdad! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my book the finest rifle makers in the United States.

If we ever do a tour through their factory, it's going to be an expensive day.

Have a 45-90 that I'm just getting started with. Need to pour some heavier slugs and get on with stretching it out a bit.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/24/18.

1Minute
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sportsdad, it sounds nice and I have 2 just about like it so I know they work ,please pay the extra 50-75 bucks for the "hand select wood option" and tell them what kind of figure or grain you want in your wood. Without doing this you might not get what you want in wood. Not badmouthing Shiloh but when you order a gun YOU should get everything you want . PS Ranch is right on getting the 7 degree leade up frt. And change the rear to a LR Buffalo Soule sight so you have enuf range and windage to 1000 yds. MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 04/24/18.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The silhouette shooting I'll be doing will be all under 800 yards.
I've hit plenty of ringers at 1000 with a trapdoor and Buffington sights....soooo...

They called today and confirmed some details on the order. I had them add the 7 deg lead-in on the chamber.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 04/24/18.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congradulations on your retirement. I am sure anyone who survived 39 years in a Corporate environment deserves it..:)

As a long time Shiloh owner( since the late 1980's) I have the following advice.

Ditch the glass bedded forend. It's not needed given Shiloh's stock fitting and will do NOTHING to make the rifle shoot better. That 1" thick octagon barrel is as stout as a truck axle...The forend really has no effect ot on it.

Instead put that $$ toward the pewter forend tip. It's beautifully done on the Shilohs and is really a feature unique to Sharps rifles.

You will thank me later.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats on your retirement, I like your style! For my 50th birthday I bought myself a C. Sharps Arms '74 in, what else? The "Big Fifty" (.50 2 1/2").

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jk16
Congradulations on your retirement. I am sure anyone who survived 39 years in a Corporate environment deserves it..:)

As a long time Shiloh owner( since the late 1980's) I have the following advice.

Ditch the glass bedded forend. It's not needed given Shiloh's stock fitting and will do NOTHING to make the rifle shoot better. That 1" thick octagon barrel is as stout as a truck axle...The forend really has no effect ot on it.

Instead put that $$ toward the pewter forend tip. It's beautifully done on the Shilohs and is really a feature unique to Sharps rifles.

You will thank me later.

Thanks for the Congratulations. smile Half that time was union, the other half salary. (I've had 7 careers, Machinist, Tool Maker, Tool Designer, NC Programmer, NC Machinist, Engineering application analyst, and IT project manager all at the same company.)
Regarding the pewter forend tip, that's something of an opinion. I think it looks hideous but then again, I collect and shoot old wooden rifles and I like traditional wooden schnabbles.
Regarding glass bedding, do you have any data to back up the 'no effect' on bedding the barrel or just word of mouth. That's something I did considering canning but I've not found any data to prove that it doesn't work.

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 04/24/18.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've had a traditional straight stocked Schnabel forend rifle on my mind as of late too, that's the way the original Buffalo rifles looked. cool I only have one like that, a shotgun [Thank God] butted 50-90 Sharps.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The pewter foreend tip was standard on Hartford sporting rifles, and optional after the move to Bridgeport .

www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I have always like the looks of the pewter forend myself. I bought a used Saddle Rifle with the Schnabel tip and have been thinking about having Shiloh changing it out for the pewter one. I called yesterday and just for the standard grade wood without the AA finish it would be almost $500 o I think I will leave it as is. Since I am not too far away from retirement I might need to order up myself a "Retirement Gift" too. I have always wanted a .40-90 SBN anyway!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have always like the looks of the pewter forend myself. I bought a used Saddle Rifle with the Schnabel tip and have been thinking about having Shiloh changing it out for the pewter one. I called yesterday and just for the standard grade wood without the AA finish it would be almost $500 o I think I will leave it as is. Since I am not too far away from retirement I might need to order up myself a "Retirement Gift" too. I have always wanted a .40-90 SBN anyway!

Get it with a heavy barrel.

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I missed seeing you ordered custom bedding of the forearm. I have to agree with jk, it isn't necessary and for the reasons he stated. On my two Shiloh's and the other one I had the forearm to receiver inletting was.....perfect. The forearm is screwed directly to the barrel with two screws and I don't believe it's going anywhere or going to move around or develop looseness. However, as with about everything to do with rifles, that's my opinion. Given what the rifle is, a retirement present, it should be as you want it built with what you like.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool. What is the build time on these currently?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Some where around 16 months, but if a person keeps watch on the Shiloh web site, about once a month or so they usually put a 1/2 dozen or so up , usually a bit more bling than the standard rifles, but if a person wants one you got to be quick cuz they don't last long.

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tmitch
Congrats on your retirement, I like your style! For my 50th birthday I bought myself a C. Sharps Arms '74 in, what else? The "Big Fifty" (.50 2 1/2").

SWEET, I have a C-Sharps 50-90 too, it's a 30" barreled eleven pound bruiser a man can carry and hunt with, 750 gr greasers at 1365 fps is a hellacious load, just put one through 9ft of bedded Bull Eland at 60 yards in Africa, smoked a big old blue black Sable Bull at 99 yards too. smile

Have been racking my brain ever since to come up with ANY smokeless fired cartridge shooting an expanding soft point bullet that would have penetrated that far, I keep drawing zeros.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

734 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 3,078 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.