Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Texas Cornflinger & Box Blind club........

Jealous?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally I don't give a flying fugg about Chouinard or his politics. I do care about keeping public lands public, and keeping the fraction of them that are roadless, roadless.

If any of you geniuses can name an organization that more effectively advocates toward those ends, I'm all ears.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JSTUART

And here is another question, do you pack your excrement out with you?

After all, you may as well go all the way.

On some public lands in the West, that is required. Take a rocket box and a bottle of Chlorox. Not really a big deal. you need to get out more.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[
Originally Posted by smokepole
Personally I don't give a flying fugg about Chouinard or his politics. I do care about keeping public lands public, and keeping the fraction of them that are roadless, roadless.

If any of you geniuses can name an organization that more effectively advocates toward those ends, I'm all ears.

But you probably should. Yvon and Patagonia made a big deal out of sponsoring Buffalo Fields campaign when the state of Montana started the annual bison hunt outside Yellowstone. The biology was sound and the hunt helped bring in more funds for state coffers but Yvon and co. would have none of it. They had their paid goons disrupt activities of law abiding citizens partaking in legal hunts.

So, yes, politics do matter.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So you can't name a more effective advocate for public and roadless lands than BHA, got it.

Compared to that big picture issue, a single disrupted buffalo hunt is but a transient blip to all but those directly affected.

And if I had been affected, I'd be pissed at Chouinard, not an organization that wasn't involved.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So you can't name a more effective advocate for public and roadless lands than BHA, got it.

"You say that as if I owe you an answer, which I don't."

Smoke, Buzz commented earlier about the work he and his fellow local bha members did to maintain hunting access in the Laramie area (?), and that's good. But was BHA really necessary for them to get the job done? Did BHA send them funds they just couldn't do without in order to accomplish the task? I doubt it. I have found that if people really care about a subject, such as protecting public lands, they do just as much or more good by getting local grassroots support without depending on outside sources, especially those with questionable political standing.

I don't need to name "a more effective advocate for public and roadless lands than BHA" even if it existed because we as individuals can get a lot done on our own at the local level if we think it important enough. Don't forget, the public lands employees/officials in your area of interest live there too and must deal with the local populous on a daily basis. That local populous has a lot more sway than the guv officials want to admit.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That local populous has much more sway when it's organized and a voting bloc.

And PS, no you don't owe me an answer. But I guarantee if you had one, you'd give it. So the non-answer is an answer, just not one that you like to admit to.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Smoke, Buzz commented earlier about the work he and his fellow local bha members did to maintain hunting access in the Laramie area (?), and that's good. But was BHA really necessary for them to get the job done? Did BHA send them funds they just couldn't do without in order to accomplish the task? I doubt it. I have found that if people really care about a subject, such as protecting public lands, they do just as much or more good by getting local grassroots support without depending on outside sources, especially those with questionable political standing.

I don't need to name "a more effective advocate for public and roadless lands than BHA" even if it existed because we as individuals can get a lot done on our own at the local level if we think it important enough. Don't forget, the public lands employees/officials in your area of interest live there too and must deal with the local populous on a daily basis. That local populous has a lot more sway than the guv officials want to admit.

So, how much have YOU done? smokepole has a point.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I see, sounds like there aren't any great stories.....maybe because he doesn't really hunt?? GASP!

RMEF is one. They actually tell you where and to whom their money (your dues) go to.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 04/23/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That local populous has much more sway when it's organized and a voting bloc.

And PS, no you don't owe me an answer. But I guarantee if you had one, you'd give it. So the non-answer is an answer, just not one that you like to admit to.

You're right, so organize your own local group and create your own voting block.
And you'd be more effective too.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm a back country hunter and (not so much) angler in real life.

Looked into these folks and decided they are elitists - not for me.

YMMV and have at it.

Last edited by las; 04/23/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Originally Posted by SBTCO

So, how much have YOU done? smokepole has a point.

On a different front, but by speaking out at a town meeting on school security issues I, all by my little lonesome in not so many words called BS on school "security" to our superintendents face and got the ball rolling in creating a safety and security committee which spent several months working on better security at our local schools. By doing so the group got the school dist. to work with law enforcement in adding another RO and create more stringent protocols for active shooter/intruder situations. Still not enough but more than what was being done before. Didn't need the NRA or anyone else, just stood up and took a stand.

So how about YOU?

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, for a few weeks a few years ago, I had an unobtrusive piece handy in a technically (District policy) "gun-free" school, as the situation seemed to call for it. I suspect- but never asked - that the Principal (a former Miss Alaska) also did.... she didn't take kindly to anyone f'kin with our kids...or the school. She is a hunter/ NRA member also.

At the time, it seemed the thing to do. What they don't know, don't make a chit of difference... Or it might.

Last edited by las; 04/23/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

On some public lands in the West, that is required. Take a rocket box and a bottle of Chlorox. Not really a big deal. you need to get out more.

I live in Australia, you [bleep] wanker.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kroo88
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Gwooone...and you said you weren't a liberal, you fibber you.

Yeah. That's me alright. A liberal. laugh

You remind me of this guy....

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok... grin

I wish i had a fraction of his acting ability and a goodly portion of his bank account.

That man can really act.

Could act.

He's dead.

And still has more acting ability than I, probably a better bank balance as well.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I live in Australia, you [bleep] wanker.

I know, yet you claim to be an expert on pretty much everything American. Maybe you need to get out more.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I know, yet you claim to be an expert on pretty much everything American. Maybe you need to get out more.

You are a liar, I claim no such expertise.

But I do know lying low life pieces of [bleep] and you are most definitely one of those.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

But I do know lying low life pieces of [bleep] and you are most definitely one of those.

Whatever crybaby. You are definitely a whiner too. Not only do you know all about America, you know all about me too. Now, where did I lie?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Whatever crybaby. You are definitely a whiner too. Not only do you know all about America, you know all about me too. Now, where did I lie?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Of course you do. that's what you do here.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
376 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.