Hop To
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Did not do barrel "break in".
So for the 1st 120 or so shots it was doing 1.5" at 50 yards.
Didn't matter the ammo.
WW HV, Aguila Interceptor or CCI Blazer.
No trend, 5 shots or 10..........groups 1.5" from the get go.
But after 120 shots..........the 1" group. Then another.
Hmmmm.
Then smaller.
Figure I'll burn another 100 or so rounds through it, clean and then a couple foulers and test.

[Linked Image]

Best so far.........tolerable I guess (not premium ammo, barrel not broken in yet)

[Linked Image]

Pineys gonna be in trouble if things work out.

'95 Ruger action
VX2 4-12X
Burris Sig Zee rings
Volq hammer
GM 19" Heavy Taper
Titan stock

Last edited by hookeye; 04/22/18.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
nice looking rifle and looks like a shooter too

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks. Hopefully after break in it will do .50" at 50 yards with reg HV stuff.
If not, will try standard V and match ammo.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I roughed in the scope yesterday at indoor range (25 yards) w no rear bag and put 10 shots into a dime.
So figured it would do OK at 50 yards today.
At 12X it looked like a shotgun pattern LOL.
Hits left, right, up and down.......crosshairs solid. It sure as hell wasn't my doing.
New bbl, did not do break in procedure.
No trend seen within first 100 shots today........just throwing them.
Then bam..........groups shrank from 1.5" to 1"...........then a little smaller.

My old fingergroove sporter did .75" at 50 yards w the same CCI Blazer.
But it had the snot shot out of it, plus maybe sporters had better headspace.
Dig for some chit ammo and just hose another 100 rounds through it and clean, then shoot for groups at 50 again.

Might rework the bolt if it looks like it needs a tweak (do the firing pin mod and headspace adj).
Aint doing crap to it after that. Already a bit of a money pit for an ugly rifle LOL.

Might have to get a mannlicher CZ for a hunter if this thing doesn't come around.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
had any issues w the scope before? how are the rings and mount? 10/22s can actually be a little hard on scopes.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Scope was fine on my .243 Rem 700.
Rings and base properly torqued.
The lack of tiny group is probably due to new bbl not being broke in .........and or ammo.
Blast a hundred or so more and then test.

Not worried.

Just hoping it doesn't like only one type of premium ammo.

Do realize I bought a match bbl and it might prefer standard V stuff.
Bought it to be a hunter though.

Groups are shrinking, so see how much smaller they get. If I can run five CCI Blazer into .5" repeatably at 50 yards I will be happy.
Will accept a flier once in a while due to the ammo.

Blazer shot well in my old fingergroove. Did not check headspace before it went bye bye.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/22/18.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Hookeye: That is one great looking 10/22 there.
I hope the accuracy keeps improving for you.
I have a couple of suggestions for you to try.
Remove the bi-pod and use a bunch of sandbags (front and rear) to hold that Rifle rigid while firing.
In the past I have used many sandbags "piled on" and around a rimfire Rifle to ascertain which ammo shoots best.
Decades ago I purchased an expensive, heavy, stainless, Lilja barrel with "match chamber" for my Deluxe Ruger 10/22.
At first I was also not impressed with either the accuracy or the reliability of extraction/ejection of fired cases.
"Things" got better after time - a lot better.
I have over 200,000 rounds through that Rifle now and it is one of my favorite Ground Squirrel and small game Hunting guns!
Ammo suggestion = if you are interested in Hunting with that handsome 10/22 be sure to try some Winchester Power-Point hollowpoints in that gun.
By coincidence one of the first scopes I used on my Lilja barreled 10/22 was a Leupold 4x12 variable with adjustable objective. Today I have an even MORE powerful variable on it. Some of my shots at Ground Squirrels really "stretches things" and the extra power comes in handy!
Best of luck to you and please keep us advised on your trials and progress.
Also this I have three Gopher Hunting friends who bought custom barrels with "match chambers" for their 10/22's and they soon tired of the failures to extract/eject and they solved that with a trip to the local gunsmith who simply ran a standard 22 L.R. reamer into the chamber - all three perked up immensely with extraction/ejection.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks.
Have had great results shooting off the Harris on other rifles.
The stock is stiff and the gun heavy enough.

I did have some old WW Super X HP...........but with the bbl not broken in..........at the start it did 1.5" like everything else.
Read that it's gonna take about 200 rounds to get it to start shooting better.

Am at the 120 round mark.

Expect fliers now and then with non match ammo.

Have two bricks of the Australian 42gr Max. Will try some when this thing gets settled in.

Right now IMHO the bbl not broken in..........has the greatest effect on groups.

Got some SK match to try, Figure hose 120 more rounds through it, clean and foul...........then test.
Just glad it went from 1.5" to .75" after 100 rounds smile

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've never had good luck with the SuperX ammo. A trip to the range yesterday told me that Power Points are okay, though, even the new ones, which is what I was using. That was in boltguns, though. I've got a 10/22, but cannot get excited about it, it does a job, but that's about it.

I have noticed that Ruger factory barrels usually do "pretty well" with CCI MiniMags, but this particular one isn't too spectacular with them. You might try some Aguila HV, too. It shoots a bit better than the CCIs in my rifles, though some consider that heresy.

You'll get it all figured out, eventually, and that's the fun of it anyway.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Old Super X was pretty decent.
Ran it in IHMSA.
Contender, Buckmark, Ruger 22/45

Occasionally a bloop would save a ram.

New Super X has been iffy in a couple of rifles.

My go to round is CCI Blazer. Have several bricks of it. Did well in reg 10/22 bbls.
Last Anschutz I had did NOT like it, but loved the WW 42 gr Max.

Would not bother me to run CCI Minimag........if my rigs liked it.
Some have, some did not.

Proly pick up two more bricks of Blazer, and a case of those mini clay pigeons.
The ol lady bought herself a 50 yr 10/22 standard in grey lam. Has TRS25 on it.
Should set a few lines of clays and burn through the Blazer.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Blazer shoots real well in my CZs, and Rugers, too. All have factory barrels. For the money, the Blazer stuff is hard to beat. I like it better than CCI SV, and so do my rifles. Nekkid bullets rule, when it comes to accuracy.

Every now and then, the RAR Predator shines a little, overall, it's not too bad, but it can't hang with the CZs on a regular basis. Still, I like the way it (and that 10/22 DSP) handle, that's why I keep them around.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Maybe test this weekend. Depends on work and if any turkeys at my deer spot.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You keep mentioning cleaning it and testing but I'm wondering if this particular barrel wants to be heavily fouled to perform well. Perhaps with the same ammo.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
It's brand new and the manufacturer recommends a "break in" procedure.
Another 100 or so rounds and will clean and find out LOL.
Over on RFC I read today that it takes about 200 rounds to settle in.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hookeye follow break in recommendation but it takes anywhere from a couple of dozen to several dozen rounds - for the “typical” .22 barrel to become settled in and there is where you’ll get the best accuracy from your barrel. Once it is “settled” in I do not clean the bore until accuracy suffers - many of my .22s have not had a bore cleaning for 10-15+ years.

FWIW,
PennDog

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Well I scrubbed the chit out of it, then swabbed til I thought it was dry.
Dumped 5 from the mag into the backstop and then shot the remaining 5 for group.
Blazers did about a half inch. I was content...........but that was the first group LOL.

Next group.........not as good. First shot from the mag, from manual bolt drop.......tended to go low.
Had some fliers that just had to be ammo related.

Aguila HV didn't do for crap last time, did better this time....of course the 1st shot (of the total 10 shots) was low, from manual bolt drop.

So............I think Blazer is funky in this rig.
Could be headspace/FP issues, the bbl doesn't like it, or just a funky lot of ammo.
Could be all three LOL

Next thing to do............send bolt to CPC or buy a Kidd bolt and test.

Had an old finger groove sporter that liked Blazer. Had the crap shot out of that gun too. Dunno if the old sporters really had better headspace or not (internet rumor?).
Need to change the bolt in this rig and see if anything changes for the good.

Red arrow is first shot manual bolt drop flier. Dunno why the high one happened. Was not me.
Too bad only 8 good ones in that group.

I'll be happy whenever I get repeatable dime sized groups at 50 yards.

10 shots of Aquila HV below. Had three groups like that one after the other. most variation in the vertical.
Blazer shifted shots left and right.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 05/20/18.
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Muffs on so didn't notice a change in report, but did have one group go well over an inch due to Blazer flier.
At 12X I saw it fly funky in the scope too.
Slight breeze, tried to shoot when calm.
I know Blazer aint match ammo.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/20/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.