Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Doing it out of necessity, but i do have some caliber specific questions, .303 savage.

Ive got reload data, powder, bullets and about 100 empty cases.

Id like to try spitzer bullets instead of the round, or flat nosed factory offerings. Off the top of my head, OAL is like 2.525, and case length is somewhere around 2.015. I cannot exceed the OAL or the rounds will not load/cycle properly.

Could i seat the spitzer bullets a little deeper in order to achieve OAL? will there be issues with headspace? Will the gun go boom out the wrong end?

HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
What rifle are you loading for?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Savage 99G

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I don't see any issues with the spitzers with the rotatory magazine.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The 303 case head spaces on the rim.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
The spitzer/rotary mag thing seems to be the issue. Apparently the use of spitzer rounds creates an OAL that is just a tad too long for the rotary mag, the rounds get all hung up, the spindle cant rotate and it creates a mess. This is why im wondering if a simple solution to a headache i havent experienced yet is to seat the spitzer rounds a little deeper, in an effort to keep the rotary mag happy.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
The spitzer/rotary mag thing seems to be the issue. Apparently the use of spitzer rounds creates an OAL that is just a tad too long for the rotary mag, the rounds get all hung up, the spindle cant rotate and it creates a mess. This is why im wondering if a simple solution to a headache i havent experienced yet is to seat the spitzer rounds a little deeper, in an effort to keep the rotary mag happy.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I found this on another forum, to help give some insight on the 99's spitzer troubles.

" I can provide a reason for the round-nose bullet - shorter bullet nose length. The Savage 99 magazine is very sensitive to cartridge overall length, and will jam if the cartridge is even slightly longer than standard . If the cartridge is loaded with heavier spitzer-type bullets, the intersection of the bullet’s ogive and the cylindrical body will be below the case mouth at the maximum cartridge OAL. I have found that about the heaviest spitzer bullet I can use in reloading for the .303 Savage is 130 grains for that reason, and I usually use 125 grain or 110 grain spitzer bullets when I don’t use 150 or 170 grain RN bullets as used in the .30-30. Within the useful hunting range of the .303 Savage, a round-nose bullet is fully adequate. The original .303 Savage load using the 190 grain RN bullet had a well-founded reputation in its day for its penetrating capabilities on large game. Otherwise, it’s the ballistic twin of the .30-30."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
In general, seating deeper is not an issue so long as you don't run out of bullet body.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I only use loading manual or SAAMI seating depth as a starting point not gospel, adjust as needed for individual firearm feed/function.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DawgIron

I ran into this when I started reloading for a premil 99F in .308 using 150 gr. Sierra bullets. The rifle had functioned flawlessly with factory ammo, but with my reload at 2.800" OAL they jammed up. The problem wasn't immediately visible so I spent some fruitless time adjusting the magazine spring before I discovered the problem. Seated to 2.750" worked just fine.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
... Could i seat the spitzer bullets a little deeper in order to achieve OAL? will there be issues with headspace? ...

Headspace has to do with how the brass fits the chamber. Bullet seating doesn't affect that.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Just want to be sure the bullet isnt going to skip a short distance down the chamber before being engaged by the rifling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bullet will. It usually should. Don't worry about it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
First off, with the kind of use a .303 Savage gets put to, the old standby RN and FN bullets intended for .30-30 use are all any sane man would want or need. There is nothing to be gained ballistically with spitzers inside of 150-200 yards. In fact with some premium spitzers intended for use primarily in hot shot .30's you would be hindering yourself by using them- unless of course all you intend is to punch paper. Trust me when I tell you that there are many more issues to solve in this man's world than trying to get spitzers to work in a gun that doesn't require them.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
........ i do have some caliber specific questions, .303 savage.

That is a cartridge, not a caliber. The caliber would be .308

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.