-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems rather skinny for a long-river king (or any salmon as far as that goes). That isn't much of a fat layer. (I do prefer them when they don't start the grill or oven on fire though. grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BOTH... share half with your dinner partner.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Seems rather skinny for a long-river king (or any salmon as far as that goes). That isn't much of a fat layer. (I do prefer them when they don't start the grill or oven on fire though. grin )

Come off this 30lber my buddy got a couple weeks ago smile Straight out of the salt. The picture of the meat doesn't do it justice.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a beaut. Nothing wrong with the finny critter at all. The color seems 'off' to me only because we so rarely see a king that pale. But the proof is in the pan. Fat ones are wonderful dried/smoked, but I prefer them less oily for cooking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I thought white kings were upper river spawners... like way up the river...

I'll try to educate you on this one Art . . .

A fair number of Taku River kings are white. When I worked at the local salmon bake if was damn near impossible to convince the tourists that the white fleshed salmon steaks were king.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=738

The trait that keeps these fish from taking on the red pigment is passed on or inherited from the adult spawners to their offspring. The ability to metabolize carotenoids is a dominate trait; therefore the majority of king salmon have red flesh.

Essentially, all white kings come from the rivers and streams from the Fraser River in British Columbia, north to the Chilkat River in Southeast Alaska. Biologists with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game estimate that, overall, approximately 5 percent of the king population in this region carry the recessive trait that produces the white flesh. However, there are river systems where upwards of 30 percent of their fish have the white flesh trait. That said, there are some smaller river systems within the Fraser River watershed where nearly 100% of the population are white-fleshed kings!

IC B2

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have seen silvers like that.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Is this one light enough?

[Linked Image]
Mmmmmm, is that white king?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I thought white kings were upper river spawners... like way up the river...

I'll try to educate you on this one Art . . .

A fair number of Taku River kings are white. When I worked at the local salmon bake if was damn near impossible to convince the tourists that the white fleshed salmon steaks were king.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=738

The trait that keeps these fish from taking on the red pigment is passed on or inherited from the adult spawners to their offspring. The ability to metabolize carotenoids is a dominate trait; therefore the majority of king salmon have red flesh.

Essentially, all white kings come from the rivers and streams from the Fraser River in British Columbia, north to the Chilkat River in Southeast Alaska. Biologists with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game estimate that, overall, approximately 5 percent of the king population in this region carry the recessive trait that produces the white flesh. However, there are river systems where upwards of 30 percent of their fish have the white flesh trait. That said, there are some smaller river systems within the Fraser River watershed where nearly 100% of the population are white-fleshed kings!

Thank you, but I am very aware of all of that... just did not consider the Frazer or the Taku "short" systems. The maps I have seen seem to show white kings spawning fairly far upriver, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Taku is pretty short, isn't it?

The Fraser, OTOH, is a long river, but perhaps it has smaller spawning tributaries which don't require a long transit?

I know our set-nets catch fat or leaner fish depending on whether the wind pushes Yukon water our way or not. The fish destined for the shorter local rivers tend to be leaner.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Taku is pretty short, isn't it?

The Fraser, OTOH, is a long river, but perhaps it has smaller spawning tributaries which don't require a long transit?

I know our set-nets catch fat or leaner fish depending on whether the wind pushes Yukon water our way or not. The fish destined for the shorter local rivers tend to be leaner.

Taku is shorter than I thought at 54 miles...

The maps I have seen of the spawning areas for white kings show them spawning fairly high up the system, on average...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
New Sagaya have a sale?

While that was funny, Steve actually does catch a lot of fish...

Except when Rick Bin is in the boat!
wink

Might be Rick...

Maybe the cougars scare them away...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I baked the king with a little olive oil and seasoning rubbed on top, then covered it with lemon slices. It didn't suck.

I hear people brag about white king and how great it is, we've done blind taste tests 3 different times with fish that were caught the same day, cooked the same, and nobody has been able to tell the difference.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by VernAK
New Sagaya have a sale?

While that was funny, Steve actually does catch a lot of fish...

Except when Rick Bin is in the boat!
wink

Might be Rick...

Maybe the cougars scare them away...

Never seen a cougar on Steve's boat... have seen some youthful hotties though.

wink

Last edited by Sitka deer; 04/23/18.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I baked the king with a little olive oil and seasoning rubbed on top, then covered it with lemon slices. It didn't suck.

I hear people brag about white king and how great it is, we've done blind taste tests 3 different times with fish that were caught the same day, cooked the same, and nobody has been able to tell the difference.

If anything the red kings are better... some white king I have had was pretty earthy tasting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If anything the red kings are better... some white king I have had was pretty earthy tasting.

I know chums are a different thing but I suspect they also get their color via some similar food sources. And while there are several factors which affect a fish's attractiveness to flies when dried in the open ambient air, whatever the very red-fleshed chums eat seems to more interesting to the flies even when those fish are cut and hung while still in rigor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I know chums are a different thing but I suspect they also get their color via some similar food sources. And while there are several factors which affect a fish's attractiveness to flies when dried in the open ambient air, whatever the very red-fleshed chums eat seems to more interesting to the flies even when those fish are cut and hung while still in rigor.

Chums and pinks are different from other salmon in that they go to salt immediately after hatching... so flavors developed would be from their saltwater cycle... or so I would think...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.