Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12811982 04/21/18
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So...just like every other gadget available for anything at all, there are Youtube videos on flash cans. I guess that's better than nothing, but why the guys who make these videos expect (I am assuming the DO expect) them to demonstrate the noise reduction the shooter perceives is beyond me.

I have never seen (or heard) a flash can in use. Just how effective are they for noise reduction (for the shooter) purposes?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

ARIC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They sort of direct the noise/blast forward rather than out the sides.

Last edited by wareagle700; 04/22/18.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's what I've gathered. Just wondering how much noise reduction the shooter can expect.

You still liking that 70 Featherweight in .243?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by wareagle700
They sort of direct the noise/blast forward rather than out the sides.

With the key words being "sort of"...

You shouldn't expect very much noise reduction. It'll still sound like a loud rifle, even with a good flash can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt you'd notice more than a few db drop, but redirecting the concussion might be a consideration. Then again I'd imagine a thread protector would achieve pretty much the same thing at a fraction of the cost, lighter weight and IMHO better looking.

If you want to drop noise, pay the tax and get a can.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went with a 12.5 inch and a birdcage FH for my pistol build and can not tell any difference in noise from my 16 inch rifle, with normal muffs on. Not getting that concussion wave slap in the face like a large magnum handgun either. Seems pretty tame overall. Haven't had a chance to make an evening range run yet to compare muzzle flash but don't expect anything horrendous. Hoping a fancy muzzle device won't be necessary.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Went with a 12.5 inch and a birdcage FH for my pistol build and can not tell any difference in noise from my 16 inch rifle, with normal muffs on. Not getting that concussion wave slap in the face like a large magnum handgun either. Seems pretty tame overall. Haven't had a chance to make an evening range run yet to compare muzzle flash but don't expect anything horrendous. Hoping a fancy muzzle device won't be necessary.

Yep. This is what they are for, short barreled rigs.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverRider
That's what I've gathered. Just wondering how much noise reduction the shooter can expect.

I'm still loving my M70 Featherweights but don't have one in .243.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
So...just like every other gadget available for anything at all, there are Youtube videos on flash cans. I guess that's better than nothing, but why the guys who make these videos expect (I am assuming the DO expect) them to demonstrate the noise reduction the shooter perceives is beyond me.

I have never seen (or heard) a flash can in use. Just how effective are they for noise reduction (for the shooter) purposes?

Very little to no difference for the shooter. Blast cans are for keeping the muzzle blast from bothering teammates. Putting a 2.5” device on the muzzle to reduce sideways blast= why not just use a longer barrel.

I use 10.3”, 11.5”, 12.5”, and 14.5” guns weekly in close proximity to others inside structures and it has always struck me odd that people worry about the blast. You wear eye and ear pro, therefore it’s just wind that hits you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a guy next to me shooting an ~18" 308 with a muzzle break. He was kind enough to move a few more feet away but every time he shot I still felt like cussing. If I wasn't shooting, I had my hand over my earplug to make it more effective.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reminds me of the one time I went to the range and didn't end up getting off a single shot. There was only one bench left, and the guy to the right had a braked 30-378 Weatherby. I bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in awhile and ended up chatting with him well away from the firing line. No benches opened up, so packed my stuff and left.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Putting a 2.5” device on the muzzle to reduce sideways blast= why not just use a longer barrel.

That's been my thought as well, might as well have the benefit of a longer barrel, and it'll be lighter too most of the time. I guess some guys just like to put more stuff on their guns; for some these really are just Barbies for men.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I remember right, the Noveske flaming pig could be pinned and welded to a 13.7" barrel and bring the OAL to 16". That was the big appeal to them a while back. Now days people just buy a pistol brace and run the short barrel.

Last edited by wareagle700; 04/23/18.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700

I'm still loving my M70 Featherweights but don't have one in .243.

My mistake. I sold a 70 Featherweight in .243 to a guy who uses "War Eagle" as his screen name, somewhere in the southeast (don't recall where exactly). Assumed you were the same guy. Oops.

Don't be the darkness.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
137 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.