Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Having a discussion with a friend who insists they are the strongest actions ever made. I used to be a big fan of them and still would not pass on a Howa Made Mark V chambered in 257,270 or 7mm weatherby , however their inconsistent quality with their US made Marks leaves me cold. I have had more issues with US made Marks and never an issue with Jap guns. WHat say you? Personally I think they need a redesign , lighter and with a 3 lug action.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Has your friend ever checked how many of the nine lugs are actually bearing on a particular example?

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mathman
Has your friend ever checked how many of the nine lugs are actually bearing on a particular example?

I don't think he has to be quite honest. I threw him a curve today. I told him that Weatherby claims the 6 lug action is as strong as the 9 lug action, I saw a thread on that in Weatherbynation.here is the link

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 04/24/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The MK V 9 lug was concieved in a different era. It is likely the toughest action ever. I like mine. It began life as an American made Fibermark. I removed the stock upon purchase & sold it. I had an ultralight stock made and the gun weighs 8 lbs all up. That's not too light or heavy for a 7 Wby. I just love the gun.

On one end of the spectrum we have the MK V 9 lug. Heavy, yes. The other end you have the Kimber’s. Lightweight, small? Yes. Both do their intended job, as well as every quality action in between. With all the choices of today any Remington 700 clone is more than sufficient. Still, I love my Mk V 7 Wby.

Last edited by Reloder28; 04/24/18.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have any problems with my 257 or 300 wby. What kinds of problems have you had with yours?

Did you read how Roy Weatherby tested the actions during development? It was pretty impressive.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stuart Otteson did a critical analysis of the Weatherby Mark V action in his book The Bolt Action. He also shared interesting details about it's development and history. Someone with Otteson's books and better typing skills and more time than me needs to chime in.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Having a discussion with a friend who insists they are the strongest actions ever made. I used to be a big fan of them and still would not pass on a Howa Made Mark V chambered in 257,270 or 7mm weatherby , however their inconsistent quality with their US made Marks leaves me cold. I have had more issues with US made Marks and never an issue with Jap guns. WHat say you? Personally I think they need a redesign , lighter and with a 3 lug action.

I agree 100% here, Weatherby needs a redesign......Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
I don't have any problems with my 257 or 300 wby. What kinds of problems have you had with yours?

Did you read how Roy Weatherby tested the actions during development? It was pretty impressive.

Yeah I read all these reports. I had two single shot Mark V's both Saco made , one a 6 lug the other a 9 lug. One was replaced by weatherby after 2 attempts at repairing it . The other went down the road and the buyer knew all about it , unlike the seller that sold it to me.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Stuart Otteson did a critical analysis of the Weatherby Mark V action in his book The Bolt Action. He also shared interesting details about it's development and history. Someone with Otteson's books and better typing skills and more time than me needs to chime in.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 04/25/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think it is a good choice for such big cased cartridges as the Lapua , 378 Weatherby and such

for smaller cases , I think there are other choices just as good or better

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
WHat say you?

Personally I think anything more than two lugs is a solution in search of a problem.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OE, I’m in the Japan made Vanguard Camp. I’ve owned two Mark 5’s and one Vanguard. I had issues with both Mark 5’s...The Vanguard was just a nice looking and shooting summabitch out of the box...I think aside from bolt appearances, safety and I believe minus 2 lugs on a Vanguard compared to a M5, they’re virtually the same rifle....I would buy a Range Certifide (RC) Japan made Vanguard over a Mark 5 even if it was a USA or Belgium made Weatherby. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Personally I think anything more than two lugs is a solution in search of a problem."

I appreciate the short bolt throw.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Roy and others have tested them to 200K PSI

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm of the opinion any time one points out what he believes about a rifle and it sounds negative, one runs the risk of offending some one who likes and uses that brand of a rifle as they have had success with it and are therefor loyal to it. The fact that others have had issues does not matter, they have not. Look at all the Remington lovers and haters as and example.

From what I have read over the last 60 years, I believe Roy Weatherby was a good promoter, salesmen and showman. Good traits to have if one is attempting to sell rifles to above average income hunters! I personally have never been enamored with Wetherby rifles or most of their chambering's. I think the .257 and .270 Weatherby are interesting, but other then that, they are a bit to much for me. I also never cared for the stock design. As far as the 9 lugs go and the alleged pressure testing, why do we need 9 lugs and rifles tested to 200,000 psi?

Long gone famous brown bear guides Morris Talifson, Bill Pinell and Hal Waugh used old Mod. 70 rifles in .375 H&H and Hal rebored his 'Big Nan" to a .375 Weatherby. They never need 9 lugs or had malfunction problems, but they were quoted as saying they saw more hunters with Weatherby rifles having "jam" problems then other rifles. I wonder how many of these "jams" were caused by hunters not being familiar with their rifles and excited to see a big brownie up close. I know Weatherby liked the double radias sharp shoulder, yes he gained some powder space, but no way in hell that enhances the feeding abilities on a bolt action magazine rifle like the long sloping minimal shoulder case on a .375 H&H cartridge.

Hal Waugh said he had trouble with stocks splitting after he rebored to the .375 Weatherby. That makes no sense to me as any competent person can bed a wood rifle stock or at least find a gun smith who can, it ain't rocket science. Hal's "Big Nan" resided down the road from me for a number of years. It had a good looking wood stock on it and I could see some Weatherby influence in the stock. I would of preferred a more "classic" style, but it was his rifle.

Any way, if one likes the Weatherby I say go for it. I am just and old Win. Mod. 70 guy, but I really like my little small ring Mauser ought six, even though I see some Weatherby influence in the stock! Next winter I am removing some of that cheek piece and "Monte Carlo" look!

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I like a lot of different rifles and designs.I am just pointing out that Current manufacture does not hold a candle to the Howa manufacture. I also think the design is way dated and in my experience they do not function and feed as smooth as other designs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like a lot of different rifles and designs.I am just pointing out that Current manufacture does not hold a candle to the Howa manufacture. I also think the design is way dated and in my experience they do not function and feed as smooth as other designs.

My thoughts are the exact opposite..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as a gun dealer the Weatherby Mark 5 sells better used than a Howa Weatherby , but people buying new I sell way more Howa Weatherby rifles because most want to say they can`t afford a Mark 5 but want a Weatherby so they buy the cheaper Howa action so they can say they got a Weatherby rifle. I personally just glad they buy one of them. myself for deer hunting I just use my Ruger no.1 in a 257 weatherby mag, Roy Weatherby did design neat bolt rifles and cartridges ,Roy was way ahead of many rifle builders with those fast cartridges !

Last edited by pete53; 05/03/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pete53
as a gun dealer the Weatherby Mark 5 sells better used than a Howa Weatherby , but people buying new I sell way more Howa Weatherby rifles because most want to say they can`t afford a Mark 5 but want a Weatherby so they buy the cheaper Howa action so they can say they got a Weatherby rifle. I personally just glad they buy one of them. myself for deer hunting I just use my Ruger no.1 in a 257 weatherby mag, Roy Weatherby did design neat bolt rifles and cartridges ,Roy was way ahead of many rifle builders with those fast cartridges !

When you say Howa weatherby are you referring to the 2 lug Howa or the 9 lug Mark V?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
2 lug howa, like I stated I will sell either type Weatherby or something else.

Last edited by pete53; 05/03/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

637 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,315
Posts18,449,250
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.