Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
A friend of mine asked about a 1600# brown bear that killed a few people in Alaska. He said the incident happened a year or so ago. Is this one of those urban myths or is it real?
Can someone post a link to the story and photo?
Thanks

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Urban myth, it was maybe an 800# bear, and no it didn't eat anybody.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks 458. I'll tell him its safe to go outside.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats a famous e-mail, with the story changing each time it floats around. The bear in the photo was killed by an Air Force airmen who shot the bear on Hitchinbrook while deer hunting and he had a bear tag. The kid actually set up a web page to tell the true story of what happened, his name was Ted. It wasn't 12 ft and did not weigh 1600lbs.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
bigwhoop - You can get the story on the Snopes site, they probably have info up by now on this years e-mail circulation.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I googled hitchinbrook bear and got the B&C website. Ted Winnen shot it on the island. It ranks 145 unofficial. No weight or sq. size given. The photo angle does make it look big. Is does look like a foot protruding from the mouth, though.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

Here is the real deal. He used to have a site, for the true story as told by him, might search his name for that. This bear was killed a bit some time ago. Didn't re-read it, but IRC he mentions size and weight.

IRC correctly, he shot the heck out of that thing with a .338 in the head at about 10 yards or so. Why the head is so bloody looking. A better pic there will gie you more true perspective. Still a really BIG bear for the most part.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I searched Yahoo and got a Truth or Fiction.com sight. I think that might be the new version going around. Didn't even look at this years when sent to me about 2 months ago, just deleted it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The pictures of the bear and the cadaver are real. It did kill many people. This is fact.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
All I'm finding is Ted Winnen Bear, Google and Yahoo. Same Pics same facts. There is some kind of guide page that has added to the hunt over the original version.

Can't find anything about World Record at B & C.

You may have different bear. Send me a link to get to it. Can't even find a possible on the B&C site. Is this some kind of deal where the re-classification of Brown Bear to Grizzly took place?

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
No...don't believe truthorfiction. They don't really know what happened and Snopes is gay.

I watched with my own eyes this bear peel the skin off of a flyfisherman as if he was a banana. It was horrifying. The bear has a sibling...probably bigger than this one. 2200 lbs my guess.

Last edited by Dalliwacker; 02/28/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ummm, Jim,,, your not really helping things with this "urban" legend...<grins>

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Joel, you should help me not help things. Uhhh, what was that? How are you? Did I tell you I drew DCUA?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But Jim, did you get a picture of the bear dunking on Shaq? grin What did Ted have to say about all the hoopla after those pictures made the rounds?

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by DPhillips
But Jim, did you get a picture of the bear dunking on Shaq? grin What did Ted have to say about all the hoopla after those pictures made the rounds?

Went straight to his head.

Makes me wish I forgot my camera. Not necessarily b/c of Ted, but b/c I am just as sick as everybody else from seeing them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This story is like trying to get stink off a turd...

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like this newer version! grin Uhhh, I mean update!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here is a romanticized version, pretty much same as the original version.

So, is this thing going to be 2200# next year's version, or still gaining weight?

Thinking maybe the government better shut that island down, and search for some kind of radiation!

http://www.blackbearheaven.com/world-record-grizzly-bear.htm

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You guys are all wrong. I WAS THERE. The bear was 3000 pounds and had tusks like walrus. I shot it with my chipmunk 22LR at a range of 14 INCHES, just as it was about to bite my head off.

As soon as the carcass fell to the tundra, lifeless, his daddy came around and demanded that I do the right thing.

So I married the Big bear's mate and now provide a home for his orphaned cubs.

Overall, its been a good run . . . .

Except when I have to kiss my Mother in law.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
A friend of mine asked about a 1600# brown bear that killed a few people in Alaska. He said the incident happened a year or so ago. Is this one of those urban myths or is it real?

Is it possible that the questioner's friend was talking about a certain dim-woody wanna-be that got himself and girlfriend et'up? If so, the bear was a "little" smaller than that.

I am getting old...this occurrence might have been 2 years ago?

best,
bhtr

ps. Enjoyed the above "truthfullerness" acounts better anyway wink

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 44mc, 300jimmy, 41rem, 15 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.