Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
k20350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I always enjoy this guys videos where he restores old tools but this saw is cool as hell from the pre-battery jobsite day. I have never laid eyes on one before.

Last edited by k20350; 04/27/18.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't imagine power being an issue, I never saw such a saw.

It makes perfect sense, generators and cordless tools haven't always been so available,
and it wasn't hard to use the chainsaw platform for a base.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still have a chainsaw that looks like that model. DIdn't realize they made circular saws out of em

Would be cool for off grid stuff for sure!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used a gas powered jack-hammer one time. I think it was called a Ponjar or something. Crazy what they used to have

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I used a gas powered jack-hammer one time. I think it was called a Ponjar or something. Crazy what they used to have

Yep, I've used one. Little old black man showed up on a jobsite to sell it. My boss had him demonstrate it, and that man was a master at it. No one else could do anywhere close to as well. My boss bought it, and hired him to run it. He was employed until his heath failed him.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image]

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And to think Jim, that guy was 37 in that picture. smile

k20350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
I still have a chainsaw that looks like that model. DIdn't realize they made circular saws out of em

Would be cool for off grid stuff for sure!

I found an article in popular mechanics for this saw from 1964. U could remove the engine and they had a chainsaw, circular saw, generator and post hole digger that it could go on. Pretty neat stuff! They made a 7.5" model and a 10" model also for the circ saw.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Pretty much the same as the fire/rescue saw that has been around for many years and is still used today.

Serious entry teams always show up w/ a K-12 and a Hurst Tool [jaws of life]. Some also get to have explosives and breaching shotguns.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Pretty much the same as the fire/rescue saw that has been around for many years and is still used today.

Serious entry teams always show up w/ a K-12 and a Hurst Tool [jaws of life]. Some also get to have explosives and breaching shotguns.

mike r

Your k-12 is similar to the standard "cut off saw" used in the construction trades for a long time. I have one myself. They use chainsaw motors, in fact, if you change the bar, and blade, it is a chainsaw.

http://www.trusupply.com/Husq-K760-...MJ4ucsBpTHnAkeX4YuZ9qdItShxoCqpIQAvD_BwE

A very useful tool. I've seen and used gas powered winches as well. (Chainsaw motors)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Still see them in central PA for use in building barns. Saw one in a Mennonite saw shop a couple months back.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Poster could use a lesson in clamping .Saw not that rare. They sure do vibrate.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Warning: did you notice the open spark plug hole when he cranked it to check for a spark? If he had gas in it and if he had spark, it's very possible for gas to splash out the hole and ignite. I've seen it happen. A much safer way is to leave the plug in the hole. Stick a screwdriver in the end of the wire and hold that near a ground.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I saw a couple in use back in the '60's. None since.

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

And we are too stubborn to buy one... founded in 1866 and we still won't buy a K12... We do have a husky with a diamond tip chain though... LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It looks like it has a 10" or 12" blade. Interesting.

Now a days, we use these almost everyday. I guess you could put a wood blade on them, but you're still free handing it. We're burning up diamonds.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/cut-off-machines/professional-cut-off-machines/

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
cool oddity, but a 5-10KW portable generator on site pretty much makes that unnecessary. Especially when you factor in the extra weight/vibration. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
While I'd never seen a gas-powered circular saw - I HAVE seen gasoline powered drills, linemen used to use them.
Generators weren't as efficient, small, or common in "The Olden Days"!

I wore out 1 demolition saw - replaced; AND a Pionjar - not yet replaced.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
It looks like it has a 10" or 12" blade. Interesting.

Now a days, we use these almost everyday. I guess you could put a wood blade on them, but you're still free handing it. We're burning up diamonds.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/cut-off-machines/professional-cut-off-machines/

Not a good idea.

Stihl specifically addresses this in their manuals for the cut off saws. A fireman or two have been decapitated when they thought it would be a good idea to throw a saw blade on and cut into the side of a house, saw kicks back and goes all muslim on them.

Never use circular saw
blades, carbide tipped
blades, rescue blades,
wood-cutting blades or
toothed blades of any
nature. They can cause
severe personal injury
from blade contact,
thrown objects and/or
reactive forces, including
kickback. See section

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I did a service project at a girl's camp one time where we were building tent pads with railroad ties and filling with sand. One group brought a brand new Stihl with a 14" carbide tipped blade on it. I wouldn't go near them. I used a chainsaw with carbide chain. That cut-off saw was a wicked SOB and scary to boot.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 69 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.