Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Some, I repeat, some, dealers will work on older units.

But,,, it's becoming more & more common to hear that many won't.

Not just this or that brand, but several brands. Have head an array of reasons, from hard to get parts, to the machine has lived past it's life expectancy, a possible danger to the rider & dealer refuses to be liable.

I worked in an independent shop for about a year & head these stories weekly.

GB2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The solution is simple, either get e new mechanic or a new ATV.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After over 30 years of ATV use and some repair issues I am pf the opinion most ATV shops are good at selling a ATV, but not good at fixing them, especially electrical issues. I also believe they don't employ many truly qualified ATV mechanics, technicians, or what ever else they want to be called. They probably don't pay enough to get good help, which is why most of them are under 30.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d say find a new dealer. I have a neighbor I am good friends with that had a Polaris General, that they local dealer refused to work on as he did t buy it from them. He bought it from the dealer about 25 miles down the road. What’s funny though, he sold the General and bought a new Ranger from the dealer that refused to work on the General. I will say I’ve never had a problem, but I do most of my own maintenance.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
if you worked in a repair facility on ten year old atv/utv models you would totally understand...by that time every back yard mechanic in the county has worked on it and your tasked with fixing his work along with what else is broke because it wasnt like that when they brought it in....yeah right

at $100.00 dollars per hour it doesnt take long to get upside on some of the junk out their and have a bill larger than what the unit is worth

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yep some dealers are not so great. Had a shop here screw me over on a $50 part. Service tech wanted to comp me and admitted it was their fault and service manager would not budge. Told them gee I have bought 1 new street bike, 2 new atvs, 2 new trailers, a used enduro, lots of tires, numerous helmets, boots gloves etc like $45-$50k and you are going to screw me. They would not budge and have not seen a penny since. Switched all my business to 2 other shops. Funny thing is one of my freinds is tight with the owner and read him the riot act about it and still crickets. Guy is making too much money.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gene270
if you worked in a repair facility on ten year old atv/utv models you would totally understand...by that time every back yard mechanic in the county has worked on it and your tasked with fixing his work along with what else is broke because it wasnt like that when they brought it in....yeah right

at $100.00 dollars per hour it doesnt take long to get upside on some of the junk out their and have a bill larger than what the unit is worth
pension

There is a lot of truth going on here but I think 10 years is too new to refuse. I have heard of shops refusing to work on 20 year old stuff. When a shop finds things other than original issue, customers think they are being ripped off or scammed. If a customer passes on other recommended repairs and then there is another problem, the customer blames the shop. A UTV/ATV takes up a lot of floor space in a shop waiting for parts too.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Honda shop in my area gave me the same crap.Kept me on the waiting list for 8 weeks before letting me know about it.

Last edited by Lslite; 12/14/20.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wow, my 1996 Kawasaki air cooled 300 with those big steel racks, high/low range, alternate rope starter is my work horse up north. It rides a little rougher than the Polaris, but all it has ever needed was a new battery. There is something to be said for simplicity.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My wife has a MY2005 Polaris MP700 that died. Local dealer said too old to work on. Found a local shop who specializes in older machines. They rebuilt the carb and she purrs like a kitten. Prices were reasonable. Win Win.
I'm going to be getting a Polaris Ranger Crew XP1000 Northstar next year and I'm not going to the local dealer.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
After working at automotive dealerships for
some decades, I can tell you that many of
the new types of owners are investment groups
that care less about any kind of service.
Their goal is to move units out the door and
make more money arranging financing and
selling accessories. Most wouldn't even have
a service department or body shop if it wasn't
part of the franchise agreement

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
yep that is correct...they are going the way of car dealerships big time....

when you decide to buy elsewhere because you dont like or understand the local guys policy on repairing older units dont get mad when he puts his customers first he is only doing what you are and looking out for his self and employees...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what it is that the dealer can not get factory parts that old so the manufacturer will not let a dealer put after market parts on their machine

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Local dealership told me the same thing a couple of years ago. They will not work on anything that is over 10 years old. I asked why. the service manager told me Company policy. He said its hard to diagnose older units. If they cant plug into it and read a code there lost.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jc189
Local dealership told me the same thing a couple of years ago. They will not work on anything that is over 10 years old. I asked why. the service manager told me Company policy. He said its hard to diagnose older units. If they cant plug into it and read a code there lost.

There's that and - 10 year old atvs, sleds, UTV, motorcycles often have had multiple people work on them. Unknown what kind of butchery they'll find once into it and 100/100 times when they do and get back with the customer on a "time and materials" quote, you're 1500 into the work and the customer goes "that's too much, its 12 years old, may as well get a new one" - while you've basically rebuilt their wiring harness after 12 years of "cousin's putting in a spotlight on the quad this weekend" work.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by hanco
They apparently have plenty of business with newer units

Good place to be when you get to select the business you take.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those era polaris could be had with a Ducati ignition that was garbage. They do exactly that....but before going too far, check the reverse switch and brake switch.

Mine had the good ignition, but it had a bare spot in the insulation and would do the no start occasionally. I tore it down to replace the ignition and spotted the bare wire right off.....been a super solid machine ever since.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My 1982 Mariner outboard (made by Yamaha) runs like a dream, but I wanted, not needed, a water pump last year, dealer said bring it on, called the next day. "It's ready".

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Service on a UTV/ATV is different than repair.
All shops have oil. Most buggies use the same oil and air filter spanning 10 years easily. I seem to recall a thread here where your manhood was called into question if you didn't change your own oil in your truck. Then the thread went into the master mechanics class of every repair getting the DIY treatment. Why wouldn't you service your own ATV/UTV?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My ATV dealer is a local, 2nd generation family-owned, independent business with ATVs and UTVs as just one of their product lines. They'll repair/service older stuff and will even take old machines as trade-ins. They won't refuse to work on old stuff but will warn you that parts can get expensive or become unobtainable.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.