Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My vote goes to the JM Browning semi-auto. Granddad had a Remington Model 24 that sot shorts that I shot whenever I could as a kid. That rifle is now in my safe. Knowing that I'd probably never inherit it and that if I did it would be late in life (and it was), my first big purchase once I got out of the service was to spend $125 on a Browning .22LR SA-22. Glad I did. My daughters all grew up shooting the Browning. I didn't get Granddad's Model 24 until a couple year after he passed away at 100 years old. It still shoots well enough I can hit clays at 100 with the irons on a regular basis.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a M24 Short, also. It will kill a coon in a trap, all I ask of it. My brother gave it to just before he passed. Neat little guns, but not my favorite. I guess that would my 10/22 Deluxe Sporter, it works, and the first shot is always under the crosshairs.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 05/08/18.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
My vote goes to the JM Browning semi-auto. Granddad had a Remington Model 24 that sot shorts that I shot whenever I could as a kid. That rifle is now in my safe. Knowing that I'd probably never inherit it and that if I did it would be late in life (and it was), my first big purchase once I got out of the service was to spend $125 on a Browning .22LR SA-22. Glad I did. My daughters all grew up shooting the Browning. I didn't get Granddad's Model 24 until a couple year after he passed away at 100 years old. It still shoots well enough I can hit clays at 100 with the irons on a regular basis.

I absolutely hate Browning SAs because they eject hot brass down your shirt sleeves.

My favorite .22 semi-auto are Ruger 10/22s 'cause they are modular and can be configured in so many different ways. Ruger 10/22s are like peanuts, in that one is never enough.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Peanuts? Don't you mean the 'prize' in Cracker Jacks instead?

Candy coated popcorn, peanuts AND a prize. That's what you get with crackerjacks.... Now that fugging ditty will be in your mind all night.....grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
my most accurate semi is the T/C Silver Lynx. But it's not my fave.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Browning S/A years ago. Very well made, good looking, petite little thing. Too petite... I never shot it all that well. That's actually a complaint I have with the 10/22, I dislike the chubby midsection and whippy little barrel. I prefer a slim profile but just a bit of barrel weight out front. The old Marlin M60 with 22" barrel was really a good feeling rifle for me. The Model 60 Marlin is accurate and reliable but the trigger always sucked. The Remington 572 is pretty good, a little clunky compared to the M60 but feels like a rifle not a toy like the Browning. My favorite? A Ruger 10/22 with 20" .720" tapered and fluted mid weight barrel in a stock that's thinner through the forearm. With some trigger work... smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunts,
I had a T/C that was a nice rifle. Decent trigger and very accurate, slim and good balance out front. I didn't care for the five round magazine. And mine was a jammer. I tried all sorts of ammo and it would randomly puke with any of it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
my most accurate semi is the T/C Silver Lynx. But it's not my fave.

[Linked Image]

I had wished I dropped my T/C Silver Lynx into a wooden stock....Stainless metal in wood has always looked good.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
my favorite is the 10/22 target. no jams, ever. 10 rounds, ragged hole at 50 yds.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
1903 Winchester (22 Auto) or the 63.....just plain fun to shoot! T/C Benchmark is the most accurate one that I have.

PennDog

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Easy. My Remington Nylon 66 that I inherited from my father. One of the first (I believe) synthetic stocks on a production rifle. Still works great.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm gonna have to say H&K 270

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Not really a Semi person BUTT the Winchester 74 are very accurate as well as Full size--Unique in the fact that they can be cleaned from the rear

The T/C 55 is very accurate

Remington 597 are another good option

All three of these rifles will average less than 1/2" at 50 yds and not break the bank when purchasing

Good Luck

Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

bought a SS/lam Marlin 60 about 15 yrs ago......

been purty reliable & accurate

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The very first 22LR semiauto I ever shot as a young boy was a Remington Model 550-1 that belonged to my father. I still have one and am very partial to that rifle.

Last edited by TNrifleman; 05/09/18.

μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is it possible to have a favorite rifle that you never have owned, or even handled? If so, mine is the Winchester model 63.

The only 22 LR semi I do own is a Marlin 60. I have owned a couple of 10/22 versions, but they never hit me hard enough to keep. I had fun shooting them, but not enough to keep them. Maybe a Ruger LVT 10/22- but who knows?

I’ll keep on dreaming about a Winchester model 63.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I looked at a 550 last year at a gun shop. Pretty wood, nice Williams peep, decent price, but not enough to drive me over the edge. Went home & realized I remembered the date code on the barrel & decided to look it up. 1953, my birth year, back to town I went. Impressed with the rifles accuracy & dependability. The aperture in the peep must be perfect for my eye, I can't believe how fast my follow up shots are. A good gun, glad I bought it.

Now, it's plastic, the trigger, for all practical purposes, is not tunable, & some say the sights are too coarse. But hands down the most reliable for short term or the long run, the greatest rimfire semi-auto on the planet;

The Remington Nylon 66

I bought a backup, cause my first was nearing the 100,000 round mark. That was 20 years ago. The backup sees occasional use, but No.1 is still going strong.

Last edited by gunzo; 05/09/18.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Okay, nostalgia aside, my favorite for a semi-auto that I can "play" with, modify, and is super accurate is by far the 10/22. There's so many things that you can do to them. And, rig one out and take to a steel challenge match and you'll have a ton of fun.

They are super simple to tear apart, work on, replace this or that. I've got several that the only thing "factory" is the receiver housing, ha. That's not to say that they won't perform very well completely stock, I just like to tinker.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
So far this one.
Too nice to bash, got a newer one and built it up a bit.
Do like the old sporter stocks though..........wish they made a stainless model with a black synth copy of it.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The current one.........but wears a 4-12X AO now
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Hippy
Not really a Semi person BUTT the Winchester 74 are very accurate as well as Full size--Unique in the fact that they can be cleaned from the rear

The T/C 55 is very accurate

Remington 597 are another good option

All three of these rifles will average less than 1/2" at 50 yds and not break the bank when purchasing

Good Luck

Jim

Proly with Thunderbolts or Wildcats too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
[Linked Image]

What stock is that? Magpul?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sportdog
Easy. My Remington Nylon 66 that I inherited from my father. One of the first (I believe) synthetic stocks on a production rifle. Still works great.

My dad had the brown stock Nylon 66 for a truck/tractor gun. Dad would let me walk the creek and timber with it and I killed quite a few rabbits and squirrels with it. It seemed to shoot well enough and I don't remember it ever jamming.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sportdog

Remington was beat by the TENITE® stocked Stevens 87T's. As a collector of Savage & Stevens I have a number of these 'click-clack' semi-autos which I find to be a lot of fun - even have a Savage 602 which is the tube fed in 22 SHORT only. Another interesting variation is the 87-M and the RANGER labeled version of it - 8lb+ with a full M1 Garand style stock.

These were not the best design, but good enough that other companies copied it, including SPORTCO in Australia and Saurio in Argentina.

SPORTCO 72A
Saurio Model 62

Last edited by GeneB; 05/09/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Older 10-22 Sporter, blue & checkered walnut, older Remington 552 BDL.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
10/22 ... so many ways to set one up.

There's a spot I like to shoot ground squirrels which is closed to motor vehicle entry during the winter and a ways into spring. It's open to walk in. My 10/22 setups have been built around the idea of the lightest accuracy package possible. To that end, I go with one of the shorter .920 fiber wrapped or aluminum sleeved barrels, a hogue stock, talley B&R, a light fixed 4 or 2-7 x scope, and Jard 1 pound trigger group. Typically I can find half inch 50 yard groups with HV HP hunting ammo of some sort and sometimes with subsonics.

My past builds have used Magnum Research and Volquartsen barr

The notion of about a .75 inch muzzle, fluted, is also good. Ruger did something like that briefly maybe a decade ago and I'm kicking myself for not buying the one that was on the shelf at the LGS. It fell midway between the standard sporter and the "T" versions in weight.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go with the Marlin 60. I have a couple 10/22s, also. A favorite is a Win 63 with a gorgeous custom stock and forend. (Yeah, I know, the custom stock ruined a nice collectible, but that is the way I inherited it and it is beautiful!)

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MOGC
[Linked Image]

What stock is that? Magpul?

Looks like a victor Titan. Have one on my kidd and love it

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Easy, my Marlin 989M2. First rifle I ever bought with my own money in 1976. Still puts 5 Mini-Mag HP's under a nickel at 50 yards and never jams. The squirrels, rabbits, grouse, woodchucks, crows, coon, fox, and bullfrogs brought down with that little rifle would fill a 10 yard dumptruck to overflowing.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hookeye
Is that a victor stock?
I tried to PM you but site said user not found?
How do you like it?

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
The very first 22LR semiauto I ever shot as a young boy was a Remington Model 550-1 that belonged to my father. I still have one and am very partial to that rifle.

Yep. They are very unique, but a huge pain in the azz to work on (trigger in particular).

Kelly
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have shot just about all of them and to my.mind the best .22 rimfire semi aito rifle designs from the 20th century were -

Browning 22 Auto
Marlin/Glenfield m60
Ruger 10/22

All of them can be extremely accurate out of the box when matched with ammo theh like. All could benefit from a bit of trigger work.

And of those three,a Ruger 10/22 modified to suit ones needs /taste is hard to beat in terms of pure performance and versatility..

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by savage2400
Hookeye
Is that a victor stock?
I tried to PM you but site said user not found?
How do you like it?

Yup, Victor Titan.
Like it.
Would be perfect if they changed 3 things...........checkering instead of bump pattern for grip, lose the snap in swivel pockets (only run reg studs) and.........had a little more gentle transition at grip from side to top (is a bit square).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My semi auto 22 rifles with no problems:
Remington 550-1
Remington 550-1
Remington 550-1
Ruger 10/22 with Shilen barrel and STG trigger
Ruger 10/22 with Tactical Innovations barrel, Kidd bolt, Volquartsen trigger
Browning SA-22
Browning SA-22
Remington 552 speedmaster
Remington 552 speedmaster
Remington 77 Apache
Remington Nylon 66
Remington Mohawk
Remington 241

My semi auto 22 rifles with no problems but seem obsolete:
Birmingham model 20
Stevens 87
Savage 87E
Savage model 6
Winchester 77
Winchester 77
Winchester 190
Winchester 190
Marlin A1
Mossberg 50

My semi auto 22 rifles with problems:
Marlin 88
AR-7

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Winchester 77 Tube Magazine .22 Auto.

Ruger 10-22 Sporter.

Browning SA .22.

Remington Nylon 66.

JC Hiiggins Model 30.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have had many .22 semis over the years but my favorite was a Walmart exclusive 10/22 that was only marketed for a year back in 1997-98.

10/22 International stainless with a black/gray laminated stock. Walmart wanted $249.99 when they came out but closed them out at $149.99. As soon as they did I bought one.

I downsized the .22 rifle heard over the last three years and am down to just three .22 semis...the 10/22 International, a stainless/synthetic Marlin Papoose and an original 60s vintage Armalite AR7...

Bob

Last edited by RJM; 05/11/18.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not too much of a semi-auto anything here. Probably because of the Rem 550 I got new in the mid-'60's.
It never was accurate. However, due to the need of rapid follow-up shots on marauding coons on feed
pans I did get a little Marlin M60 last year. For no more than it cost, the accuracy really surprised me. Its
favorite is CCI MiniMag HP's. I do like it.

Originally Posted by MOGC
The Model 60 Marlin is accurate and reliable but the trigger always sucked.

A Mcarbo spring kit works wonders on the M60. Mine went from 5 3/4# down to just under 3!

We should change our politicians
like we change dirty diapers....
and for the same reason.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i like my 10/22mag alot .it took a bit to find out what ammo it likes .fed50gr hp will put 10 shots in a 3/4 hole 65yards

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, a .22 semi-auto is a "carry-with-you-while-you-mess-around" gun. It's hard to pick a favorite, but a friend gifted me a new Browning Semi-auto earlier this year. It is quickly becoming the one that I grab first these days.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Coyote Hunter: Those Brownings are indeed nifty little 22 semi-auto's and I have owned several of them - but for all around uses I have preferred the Ruger 10/22 and its wonderful 10 round rapid to re-load (with more previously loaded magazines!) for decades now.
This feature alone (I won't enumerate all the others) makes the Ruger 10/22 my go to Ground Suqirrel, small game and plinking Rifle.
Trick'em out the way you like'em and "go to town".
I prefer the 10/22 Deluxe versions for sporter weight Rifles, and the heavy stainless barrel model for "serious work".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
63 Winchester

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Another for the Winchester Model 63. Handsome, reliable, accurate and easy to shoot plus they're worth more every day

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Coyote Hunter: Those Brownings are indeed nifty little 22 semi-auto's and I have owned several of them - but for all around uses I have preferred the Ruger 10/22 and its wonderful 10 round rapid to re-load (with more previously loaded magazines!) for decades now.
This feature alone (I won't enumerate all the others) makes the Ruger 10/22 my go to Ground Suqirrel, small game and plinking Rifle.
Trick'em out the way you like'em and "go to town".
I prefer the 10/22 Deluxe versions for sporter weight Rifles, and the heavy stainless barrel model for "serious work".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Your preference is understandable. Much as I like the 10/22, every one I've seen needs a different trigger to make it acceptable to me. I do like the mag loading, though. And a trigger swap is easy. If I didn't have the Remington Model 24 and the newer (1974) Browning SA22, I'd undoubtedly have a 10/22.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/15/18. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
can't believe the 15-22 gets no love......

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Winchester 63

Weatherby .22 LR MK XXII very good iron sights ...regulated at 50 - 75 - 100 yds

Don't own any classless 10/22's.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Coyote Hunter: There is plenty of time in your future to find a compelling deal on a Ruger 10/22 of one model or another. Or maybe a used customized 10/22.
I was chasin guns way east of my home here in SW Montana yesterday and came across a gunshop with 13 (thirteen!) different models of brand new Ruger 10/22's on their shelves/racks!
And that is not counting any of the used models they were re-selling!
I probably should have bought one of the used 10/22's they had that had an "off brand" scope on it and someone had added an adjustable butt pad to the factory original birch stock along with an additional front sling swivel stud (for a Harris Bi-Pod?).
It was priced VERY low ($139.00 IIRC) and would have been a good donor action for a custom - after selling off the cheapy extras on it.
I may go back there in a few days and show cash?
I have Hunted with probably 20+ Ground Squirrelers so far this season and all but two of them brought along their various model Ruger 10/22's - some of them more than one!
Obviously most people in the know consider them "classy" enough to own/Hunt with!
I just checked my online firearms inventory and I am down to just 6 (six!) Ruger 10/22's (4 Deluxe Model's, 1 heavy barrel factory model and 1 Deluxe custom Shilen heavy barreled model).
Triggers on Ruger 10/22's are often in need of "aid" - luckily this is easy to do and relatively inexpensive.
Long live the Ruger 10/22 - being "classy" for 54 years now and still going strong!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: "To date, more than 6 million Ruger 10/22 rifles, in all variations, have been sold—a number that no doubt would have pleased the late Bill Ruger. Indeed, the 10/22 has taken the traditional Christmas "kid's rifle" to places where no rimfire rifle has gone before.
(From an article by "Shooting Illustrated" on Ruger 10/22's - that's "classy" in a "class" by itself!).

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I know 10/22's shoot. I iknow there are a lot of accessories for the hopeful owners.

I also know what classy Rifles are.....and Ruger 10/22's ain't ! And never will be no matter how much they are accessorized , with the exception of a classy piece of wood.

I gave my kids Xmas rifles , but I thought more of my kids to have to see 'em pull one of those 10/22's out from under the tree. I have more class than that .

150+ rimfires.....I know what has class .

There have been millons of VW Beatles sold too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Favorite .22 semi? KIDD but I'm slumming a Tactical Solutions X-Ring with a KIDD single stage trigger that I like quite a bit.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cisco1

I know 10/22's shoot. I iknow there are a lot of accessories for the hopeful owners.

I also know what classy Rifles are.....and Ruger 10/22's ain't ! And never will be no matter how much they are accessorized , with the exception of a classy piece of wood.

I gave my kids Xmas rifles , but I thought more of my kids to have to see 'em pull one of those 10/22's out from under the tree. I have more class than that .

I think I have owned them all-the Marlin 989,49 ,80 and 60,Remington 24,241,552,550 and 597,Weatherby Mark xx11,Browning auto and Winchester 63&74.Right now my semi auto battery consist of 6 10/22's -several DSP's with barrels from Lilja,Green Mountain,Border and Shilen.Keep your class,you can't beat a 10/22!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I cleaned mine finally (new bbl, was cleaned before install, then shot a bit, no cleaning until today).
Broke threaded pc off cleaning rod (3 section old steel Hoppes rod I've had for 40 plus years).
That sucked.
Bought a new aluminum one.......but forgot to get Lead Away patches.
Was pretty filthy.
See how it shoots maybe tomorrow.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
An old fingergroove sporter 1022 w Volq hammer and Leupold 2-7X would be a dandy semi.
And a classic by my definition.
Problem is I bang stuff up a bit when hunting........so sold mine and got a newer one to build into a hunter.
Not a classic and don't give a flip.
Have had some Anschtuz and other bolt rigs, some 552 (don't care for 550) and some pumps.
Hell biggest groundhog I ever got was with a Rem 121.
Absolutely hate Marlin 39's and Win 9422s

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
An old fingergroove sporter 1022 w Volq hammer and Leupold 2-7X would be a dandy semi.
Problem is I bang stuff up a bit when hunting........so sold mine and got a newer one to build into a hunter.
Have had some Anschtuz and other bolt rigs, some 552 (don't care for 550) and some pumps.

Besides the 10/22's I have a couple 52& 75 Winchesters,several CZ's and bolt guns by Marlin,Remington,Ruger ,Anschutz and probably some others.Usually kill 100-120 squirrels
a year but haven't shot one in 3 years with a .22,using a .25 Benjamin Marauder exclusively.Most fun squirrel rifle I've ever owned!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

You might wanna re-think your animosity for the 10/22............https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12869883/rj-renner-10-22-rhinelander#Post12869883

I think Renner's rendition is pretty classy.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JimH

Besides the 10/22's I have a couple 52& 75 Winchesters,several CZ's and bolt guns by Marlin,Remington,Ruger ,Anschutz and probably some others.Usually kill 100-120 squirrels
a year but haven't shot one in 3 years with a .22,using a .25 Benjamin Marauder exclusively.Most fun squirrel rifle I've ever owned!

I liked handgunning squirrels back when my eyeballs were good.
Pops let me use his Kart slided Colt 1911.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Currently, it is a Ruger MK built spring 1950, I found in a pawn shop.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had a couple of AMT Lightnings (10.5" and 8.5"), a couple MK1s (5 1/2" and 6 7/8") and a couple MK2 22/45 Great Eights.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/19/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
63 Winchester

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Favorite .22 semi ?...........Long guns: Only owned one in my life, (so far) and it's a stock 10/22 with just a scope. But I've always had a soft spot for those Marlin 60's . Handguns: A S&W Mod. 2206 Target because a S&W Model 41's too expensive.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ratsmacker,

Is your favorite game " jumping to Conclusions????

I recognize the 10/22 for what it is ...and is not.

If Ruger sold millons to the masses .....popularity is not a facet of " class".

I feel sorry for the 10/22 apoligizers ....that do not have the wherewithal to acquire a classy rimfire.

Animosity no......

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have only owned one semi a 10-22.. So it is my favorite.. But semi rifles are far down the list of favorite rifles for me..

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Remington M550-1

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

OK, so you were in a financial position that allowed you to buy "classy" rifles for your kids. Not everyone is in that position and many that are would not choose a "classy" rifle for their kid's first rifle. And they don't necessarily think less of their kids than you do yours.

My brothers and I opened our Christmas gifts one year to find Ithaca Model 49's in the boxes. The MSRP was around $22 back then (1961) and the metal has a painted finish. No one I know would call them "classy", but they were accurate and dependable. Mine got away from me later in life and decades later I spent several years looking for another one in good condition. The one I have now is accurate enough I can hit clay pigeons at 100 yards about 10% of the time using the irons and I think it would be a great first rifle for my grandkids - even though cost is not concern at this point in my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ithaca 49 was my boy's first rifle.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RJM
Have had many .22 semis over the years but my favorite was a Walmart exclusive 10/22 that was only marketed for a year back in 1997-98.

10/22 International stainless with a black/gray laminated stock.

I just won one of these on a punch board here in town. It looks new and is an excellent shooter. I got $21 in mine.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I don't give a FUGK what 10/22's you buy your kids just don't think the 10 22 is classy.

Don't buy any video games either.

Dirt bikes OK.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
motorheads......sheesh

Get 'em a pony.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Ironic, coming from someone so classless.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

y.
Ironic, coming from someone so classless.
My thoughts exactly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10/22 is really an excellent design, but the ergonomics leave me flat.

Last edited by night_owl; 05/23/18.

abusus non tollit usum
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by night_owl

90% of rifle ergonomics is the stock design.

Given the shear number and variety of stock designs available for the Ruger 10/22, that is truly a weak critisism..

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Some would not know or understand "Irony" or Class"

under any circumstances.

Maybe a Volquartsen would be acceptable.

I am not.here to help, or to make you all feel better.

I don't care much for Remingtons either.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My favorite semi-auto 22 is a Mossberg 51m, full mannlicher, stock peep sights very accurate and function flawlessly, they just don't make 22's like that anymore

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

My first .22 Semi was a Mossberg also A model 151 M ( b). very accurate . Easy to clean, from the rear. Maybe my favorite. Excellent shape Mossies bring good $$$$$$, and well worth it . The action comes apart and can be cleaned very easily, I forgot about that .
The 63 is a PIA to clean, and one will likely futz something if directions are not followed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by night_owl

90% of rifle ergonomics is the stock design.

Given the shear number and variety of stock designs available for the Ruger 10/22, that is truly a weak critisism..

Beside that, the mag and bolt release are both awkward.
Because of its (excellent) box magazine, the 10/22 is chunky - it's not graceful and slender like an old Mossberg, Remington, Browning or Click-Clack.

Last edited by night_owl; 05/24/18.

abusus non tollit usum
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dislike the standard 10/22 stock.
The old fingergroove stocks were way better.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nylon 66.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The old fingergroove stocks were way better.
Yep,the standard stocks are definitely clunky,I much prefer the DSP walnut stocks.As far as a .22 being "classy",great,but I put a lot more emphasis on accuracy.For years I shot rimfire benchrest all over the country,and actually had and still have some rifles that even cisco might consider marginally classy-Several 52 Winchesters,both sporter and target,Anschutz 54 sporters and target,1411 Anschutz,2007 Anschutz 54MS Anchutz,numerous 40X Remingtons,Klienguenthers,Kimbers,Sako's,Calfee XP 100 rimfire conversion,plus dozens of other .22's.I would shoot around 15,000 rounds of Tenex or Lapua ammo a year.The thing is,despite shooting competition for several years and being fairly successful at it,I am a squirrel hunter at heart.The thing is I met several other die hard squirrel hunters while shooting competition,and despite having access to pretty much any rimfire out there,when it comes down to the nut cuttin,the 10/22,although customized,is the hands down favorite among these serious squirrel hunters.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Easily my McMillan stocked/MR barreled 10/22's

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grand
Easily my McMillan stocked/MR barreled 10/22's

[Linked Image]

Good lookin' gun, Grand.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Browning BAR 22. Full sized, smooth shooting. Quality piece.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Winnie 63 and my Remmy 241....Old but good. I haven't shot my 10/22 in 15 years.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought a Volquartsen Superlite last week. Only been to the range twice with it but, so far, really like it. Prior to the Volquartsen, I would have said an old Winchester 77.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like my 10/22 even more today.
Now that I found SK match does sub half inch at 50 yards.
smile

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Yes I like my Winchester 77 tube. Walnut stock. Also have a few 190's for grandsons to shoot.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Marlin M60. Very inexpensive and shoots very well.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the Marlin M60. Accurate, reliable, affordable and fits me well.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Have an old Sears made by High Standard that is exceptional to say the least.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Picked up 10/22 # 7 this week-a Briley team challenge conversion.With a 10x Leupold fired two 5 shot groups at fifty yards with 3 different kinds of ammo-Eley Tenex,SK Subsonic and SK Rifle match.Six groups averaged .354" center to center.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I like my 10/22. However I got to mention the Winchester 74.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picked up 10/22 # 7 this week-a Briley team challenge conversion.With a 10x Leupold fired two 5 shot groups at fifty yards with 3 different kinds of ammo-Eley Tenex,SK Subsonic and SK Rifle match.Six groups averaged .354" center to center.

That sounds like a unique rifle. Any pics?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Rolltide

That sounds like a unique rifle. Any pics?

Would be glad to email pics.My picture posting abilities suck to say the least!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10 22 mag with 50 gr hornady hp

G
GRG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
My favorite semi has to be Weatherby MK XXII.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anybody else shot the Anschutz MSR?

I know of a few that get a goodly amount of time on the firing line.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My 10/22 is good enough with SK match, but wonder if vert component can be shrunk by having bolt redone (or just buy a Kidd bolt).....
Five into .4 at 50yds is tolerable.
GM 19 HT bbl and Volq hammer.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 06/15/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like 10/22s, I like marlin model 60s and a bunch more but I LOVE the Remington 597.

The ruger has the best magazine design. The factory rotary mags are flawless if kept clean. But the stocks suck I'm not a fan of the guide rail and I HATE the mag release. Pros, the ruger is easier to clean, the trigger group is metal. Tons of aftermarket support makes them more popular than they should be imho.

I'm gonna say this out loud with the knowledge of knowing you all are gonna want to kick me. My favorite semi auto rimfire rifle is the Remington 597. Here's why. The stock is perfect, the rifle is full sized and fits me like a glove. I can mount the Remington with my eyes closed and open them and the sights are perfectly aligned. The bolt stays open on the last shot. The receiver has bolt buffer in the rear. My 597 is more accurate than all 3 of my 10/22s. The twin guide rail system is smooth as silk. I like the location of the mag release way better than the 10/22. Its cheaper than the 10/22. Cons, the trigger sucks bad, the magazine's aren't as good as the rugers. Aftermarket support isnt as good as ruger. The trigger group is "space age polymer" plastic for normal people. The 597 would be wildly more popular if aftermarket support was as good as the ruger.

I got a good one, I have read about the people that got the early ones having lots of issues. They have been through 2 or 3 magazine upgrades and an extractor design change. Mine has been flawless. I think I got mine in about 2000 or so, so all the bugs were probably worked out. I Love that cheap little rifle.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
But man the old sporters (fingergroove) feel about perfect.

There have been other factory stock offerings in various shapes/checkering/laser patterns.
Some feel better than others. Most look like crap IMHO.
Seem rather trendy.

They ought to bring back the fingergroove in synth, w checkering.
Black, w stainless/silver bbl/action.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/16/18.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jk16
I have shot just about all of them and to my.mind the best .22 rimfire semi aito rifle designs from the 20th century were -

Browning 22 Auto
Marlin/Glenfield m60
Ruger 10/22

All of them can be extremely accurate out of the box when matched with ammo theh like. All could benefit from a bit of trigger work.

And of those three,a Ruger 10/22 modified to suit ones needs /taste is hard to beat in terms of pure performance and versatility..

This!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
The only .22 semi I have owned is a 10/22 but I like it. I pimped it out with the Volquartsen trigger guts, a Green Mountain bull barrel and a Hogue stock. I like the feel of the Hogue much better than the original wood stock. Too heavy for a walking around gun though, especially for a .22.
I've always liked the looks and feel of the T/C Classic but I've read they have their share of problems. Too bad , it's a good looking .22.
After reading all the recommendations for the Marlin 60, I'll have to give one a look sometime.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marlin 60.....I had a trigger job done to it.....but it's a great shooter.....no jams and excellent accuracy.....what else is there?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My best shooting rimfire auto is a 10/22, but its far from stock. You could buy a very nice Anschutz for what it cost to build it.
Before that my best was a Remington 552 Speedmaster, cycles everything, shoulders fast/points like a shotgun and is very very accurate.
I grew up shooting a Nylon 66. They were inexpensive back then, reliable, accurate and FUN.

For the money, I'd say the best of the 3 is a 552. The deluxe version is pretty good looking too.
And the 552's actually DO cycle shorts, longs and long rifle ammo. From a tube mag though. People seem to have strong feelings about tube mags both for and against.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
But man the old sporters (fingergroove) feel about perfect.

There have been other factory stock offerings in various shapes/checkering/laser patterns.
Some feel better than others. Most look like crap IMHO.
Seem rather trendy.

They ought to bring back the fingergroove in synth, w checkering.
Black, w stainless/silver bbl/action.

I would buy that. Would be an excellent boat gun. I have to keep my 597 oiled up regularly cause it lives in my boat.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kragman1
My best shooting rimfire auto is a 10/22, but its far from stock. You could buy a very nice Anschutz for what it cost to build it.
Before that my best was a Remington 552 Speedmaster, cycles everything, shoulders fast/points like a shotgun and is very very accurate.
I grew up shooting a Nylon 66. They were inexpensive back then, reliable, accurate and FUN.

For the money, I'd say the best of the 3 is a 552. The deluxe version is pretty good looking too.
And the 552's actually DO cycle shorts, longs and long rifle ammo. From a tube mag though. People seem to have strong feelings about tube mags both for and against.

i grew up with a 572 fieldmaster. good gun after it went back to the factory for a new barrel under warranty. it was an adl. have a 572 BDL, pretty nice. and big game sights.

the 552 speedmaster BDL is one fine gun. good wood, and quality. interestingly, one doesn't see them on many lgs gun racks.

have had lot's of fun with an erma, iver johnson .22 semi. has two sizes rear peep sights. will kill a coon.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'd like to pick up a 572 one of these days.
I happen to like tube mags, pumps and that design in general.

I know they aren't the most popular but my 552 is definitely a keeper.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I only have three .22 auto rifles, a 10-22, a nylon 66 and a (Belgian) Browning. Gave the 10-22 to a grandson a few years back. It was a nice one, made when they still put walnut stocks on them. I shot a lot of treed coons and trapped foxes with it. The 66 and the Browning I got because they were what I would liked to have had when I was a kid. I just use them for plinking. A friend has a Stevens with the slots in the receiver and a pretty long barrel. I used it a lot as a kid and it seems I couldn't miss with that rifle.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tony Kidd 10/22. It is everything I hoped it would be.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I grew up shooting a Winchester model 77 but my favorite 22 Auto is my Weatherby MK XXII.

Last edited by Slider1; 07/02/18.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My 1941 Winchester 63 is my favorite with my 1940 Winchester 74 second. Both are fun to shoot and they shoot straight!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My 1903 winchester 110 years old

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Partsman; 12/12/18. Reason: add picture

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I have a M24 Short, also. It will kill a coon in a trap, all I ask of it. My brother gave it to just before he passed. Neat little guns, but not my favorite. I guess that would my 10/22 Deluxe Sporter, it works, and the first shot is always under the crosshairs.

I've since bought a rather homely little CZ 512 Suppressor-Ready rifle, it's short, handy, and as accurate as my three CZ boltguns. I was really, REALLY surprised at how well it shot, straight out of the box. Use good ammo and it shoots really well. As a happy note, you don't have to shoot CenterX to get great results, it does almost as well with cheap, easy-to-find CCI Blazer. I haven't shot it a lot (I bought it in October), but there have been no "chokes 'n' pukes" yet. It uses the same magazines as the 452/453/455 rifles, and I have a wad of those. The .22LR models come with a hideous 25 round magazine, that hangs down too far and gets in the way a lot, BUT those 455 5 and 10 rounders work just as well and are not in the way in the slightest, and load very easily. It's even pre-threaded for a suppressor, the barrel is 16.5" long, so it's trim and light, too. I won't retire the Ruger (like I did my old Marlin 60), but the little CZ is sure worthy of looking at.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only own a few semi's.....one Browning and three Rugers,

My MKIV 22/45 is by far the most accurate and gets the most use so I guess you could say it's my favorite.
My other semi handgun is a Browning 1911/22LR......it's more fun to shoot but I can't see the sights very well.

[Linked Image]

As far as rifles go.....I own two 10/22's.....neither one is as accurate as my bolt action CZ but this one is the coolest.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Colt pre woodsman 1920.

I got this when they opened an old bank vault.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
552 Speedmaster w/tube full of CCI 22 SHP.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
552 Speedmaster is a real strong contender for my favorite semi auto.
Definitely better than a Marlin 60 or stock 10-22.
Never owned one of the Brownings. Did have a tube feed Winchester 77 (which was a good rifle) and preferred the Remington.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Depends on the day...right now I'm tickled with the model 63s I just got my hands on.

Really like how my 550-1 will spit out shorts too.

Last edited by killerv; 12/14/18.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Partsman

[Linked Image]

nice!! got a lot of ammo on hand for it?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by killerv

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure it's relatively available for some reason.. was surprised to find that out.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Kidd supergrade 10/22.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

This was also the first .22 rifle I ever owned. Purchased it from a man that would become my Mentor. Very accurate! When I made a life changing move last year, I presented it to the two young boys of my next door neighbor after they helped me pack up for my move. Very polite and respectful young men that enjoyed the outdoors, but only had a single .410 shotgun between the two of them to use for hunting.....figured this was a good place to invest in America's worthy youth.

Nice wood on this rifle as well!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by killerv

[Linked Image]

Got a bit over the years from gunshows, all collectible stuff, but now may have a source for new and am waiting to hear how much it will cost me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So it appears when all is said and done to get the box of ammo 50 rounds per box up here to Canada $18.00US becomes $40.00 Canadian. Ouch!

So instead of a case, I think I will go for five boxes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of the ones I have owned, four different types of Remington, Ruger, Browning, and a Marlin, I would choose the marlin 60, slim, tube fed, pretty accurate, never spits in my face shooting LH.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My favorite would be my most useful .22. A Ruger 10-22 take down model with a Tac-Sol SB-X 12.375 inch barrel with a 4+inch permanent shroud so you don't need to go SBR.

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

The best thing about it is the MagPul backpacker stock with room for 3 loaded mags and a spare battery for the optic and space for a Swiss army knife in the pistol grip.

And it snaps together in a nice little package.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Browning Semi auto

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
some of my old 22 winchester auto ammo, can't wait till I get some of the new stuff I ordered from aguila

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Western Auto Revelation Model 60 (Marlin) circa 1963. It's a shooter.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nylon 66 just because it was my first semi-auto.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Belgium Browning ATD .22lr

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Favorite was an old Remington Speedmaster I got when I was 12, current semi is a suppressed 10/22 Ruger.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully, the 10/22 Custom Shop Competition I ordered. We shall see.

That aside, a Belgian SA22 has always been on my wish list; just never got around to pulling the trigger.......yet. Even the upgraded Japanese ones are tempting.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
10/22/ walnut, classic checkered Stocky's stock/ Kidd parts, including 16" stainless, fluted, and threaded bull barrel. I really like the balance of this compact package. Haven't decided if I'm going to leave the gloss finish on the stock yet, and whether or not I might try thinning the wrist some.
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That is a nice looking stick of wood. I have a 10/22 action I would like to build a rifle around. Your wood stock gives me some ideas.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My wife bought me a Colt Stagecoach .22 with her first paycheck in 1971. LOVE that rifle, still got it and same wife. Can hit pitched pennies with it..

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

My wife bought me a Colt Stagecoach .22 with her first paycheck in 1971. LOVE that rifle, still got it and same wife. Can hit pitched pennies with it..

I remember those (I think!). Straight grip, saddle ring w/leather thong?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bhemry
10/22/ walnut, classic checkered Stocky's stock/ Kidd parts, including 16" stainless, fluted, and threaded bull barrel. I really like the balance of this compact package. Haven't decided if I'm going to leave the gloss finish on the stock yet, and whether or not I might try thinning the wrist some.
[Linked Image]

That's what I'd call Refined Bad-ass. Very nice.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I did a 10/22 build, got around .4" at 50 yards for 5 shots, without bolt mods.
Was OK but a little heavy and the target stock had too vertical of a grip.

So figured dump it.

Read: own no 10/22

So I go to a gunshow and come home with a '71 beater fingergroove.
Now I have two.

WTH?

Oh well, might trade the other one in on a used centerfire.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/29/18.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My 10/22 is good enough with SK match, but wonder if vert component can be shrunk by having bolt redone (or just buy a Kidd bolt).....
Five into .4 at 50yds is tolerable.
GM 19 HT bbl and Volq hammer.

[Linked Image]

that is a great group for your Ruger 10/22. My first rifle was a Christmas present under the tree from my father and it was a ruger 10/22. That rifle was with me during my child hood and I still have it.. I think the stock ruger is quite capable of good accuracy once you find a ammo it likes.Dandy squirrel rifle.It is not CLASSLESS!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gaining favor.

Hint.............

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
some of my old 22 winchester auto ammo, can't wait till I get some of the new stuff I ordered from aguila

[Linked Image]

nice picture of vintage ammo i like it!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gaining favor.

Hint..........

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a couple of Ruger10-22's and I like them but I like my Remington 597 better. When I put the 597 into my shoulder I am looking right through the sights. I bought mine before they started putting locks on them. Are they still putting key locks on them? I won't own a firearm with a key lock on it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooooopsie!.............

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Someday I hope to own one of Renner's 10/22 Rhinelanders. What a beauty!
For cool points I like my Rem. 241.
My go-to auto is my Wally World special retrofitted with an 18" barrel and Bushnell red dot.
It has tasted gallons of woodchuck blood.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prefer my Belgian Brownings,to my 241's.

Hint..............

S
S
All my .22's are mostly bolt and one lever. I do have one semi. A Marlin 99 M-1. I have a 6x fixed on it and it is deadly on late fall squirrels.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Best...nylon 66. My favorite...10-22 all weather

GOD Bless America
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
10/22 the only .22 semi I have ever owned and haven't put 200 rds though it in 5 years..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still have my first .22, a used Ruger 10/22 I traded into near 40 years ago. I recently picked up a Remington Nylon 66 for a crazy low price. IMO I have two of the best semi's ever made.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Prefer my Belgian Brownings,to my 241's.

Hint..............

Lusts after my, soon to be, SanFranpimped Marlin Model 60..........

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooopsie!................

[Linked Image]

F
F
My fav was an old ( ca 1920s) Stevens tube fed bolt action. It was my uncles and it passed down thru my mom to me in the 50s. I don't know what model, the only ID i recall is a #12 on the barrel. Any guesses?? I then had an Ithaca falling block which I didn't like (I was only 12-13) and later got a Marlin 60 in the early 70s - birch stock that I stripped and finished with many coats of Tung Oil. When I moved to CAN I left all, plus shotguns and handguns due to 'long gun registry'- too much hassels for me to deal with at that time. I now have a Savage 64 ( no one else has admitted this so far!!) that I've done the MCarbo and polished the action. Now wearing a 3-9 40 Brownell, but with a 4x Ruger airgun scope I got 1/2" groups at 25 yards. I've overcome the 'magazine problems' of the 64, and now it's very reliable.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fasteddie01; 03/10/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
duffel bag slings rock.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well ammo shipped out March 7th got it March 12th, it was held up due to the shutdown in the states, but now have my four boxes at around 205 bucks, so now have to go try it out.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dug both of my 1022's out just a bit ago.
Found an old DSP w OK wook, clean (buttplate, not pad) at a small shop yesterday.
Junk scope/rings.........but clean.
Can proly walk out with it for 260.
Maybe go see tomorrow.
Idea is GM 20" sporter on it w 6X AO Leupold.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/17/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
bought their last four boxes, figure i better grab it while I can.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I got me 3 rimfire .22LR's right now (always could use more LOL!) ... three different distinct guns 3 distinct different purposes.

Remington 597 .22LR semi-auto scoped 'sporter'
Savage Mark II .22LR bolt-action scoped 'sporter'
S&W M&P 15-22 .22LR autoloading tactical AR style

therefore with this setup it's gravy baby, i got it all smothered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I REALLY wanted the Thompson after all the praise they were getting. Am surprised os little mention of them here. My wife got me the Ruger. I am making do. Happy with the refinish I did on it and should have it scoped this weekend- wa hoo.

Anyone else here familiar with the 10/22 model???

yes- that was sarcasm

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have 4 rimfires at the moment: A Ruger 10/22 (over 30 years old); A Marlin Model 60 (also a few years old, given to me by my SIL); a Ruger American SS Rifle in 22lr; and, a CZ 512 Carbine in 22 Magnum. My favorite would be a toss-up between the Ruger 10/22 (pure nostalgia) and the CZ 512, which is very accurate with CCI A22 ammo and super easy to break down and clean.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I have a problem with monogamy.
Still like shooting my original Marlin model 60. (Have 3)
My Browning TBolt shoots one ragged hole.
Have a Browning BL-22 that is a real squirrel killer.
Then there is my Ruger 10/22 with a heavy barrel.
I like them all.

GoTigersGo
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I dug both of my 1022's out just a bit ago.
Found an old DSP w OK wook, clean (buttplate, not pad) at a small shop yesterday.
Junk scope/rings.........but clean.
Can proly walk out with it for 260.
Maybe go see tomorrow.
Idea is GM 20" sporter on it w 6X AO Leupold.

I put a GM 20" fluted sporter on my DSP, and it made it a real shooter. You're on the right track there. My old DSP is '73 vintage, with the buttplate. Happily, it shoots pretty danged good with CCI Blazers (not as good as CenterX Lapua, but good enough).

Still, an out-of-the-box CZ 512 outshoots it pretty badly, but the 10/22 seems better suited for hunting, not just range shooting.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 03/26/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It ain't horrid.................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
B
Let's see, here's a list of my semi auto 22's . I'll try to list them in an order starting with the one I like the best.
Winchester 63
Marlin 600
Winchester 77, tube mag
Winchester 74
Winchester 490
Remington Nylon 66, Apache Black
Winchester 77, box mag
Winchester 290

Vince
Member of WACA , Eagles, NRA, and DAV
USAF 70 - 74 Air Traffic Controller
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
This one had horrible forend pressure on the bbl
So is getting a light sanding job.
Test it again this weekend

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Liking my late 60’s vintage Weatherby XXII made in Italy.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My only remaining 22 auto. Also my favorite. 1958 grade III Vranken engraved.

[Linked Image]

Charlie

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one had horrible forend pressure on the bbl
So is getting a light sanding job.
Test it again this weekend

[Linked Image]

That is a fine looking 10/22!
I have 2 of the Deluxe Walnut Stock 10/22's and a couple of Marlin Mounties. They are my favorites.
I am also very partial to an older Marlin 880 with walnut stock that is more accurate than it should be.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 34 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,848
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.