Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I use 4x4 quite often in my Dodge when trailering. Often when trying to get going in a rough spot that's slick or gravely, the rears spin. Rather than back up for another shot at it or trying to spin my way out, I just switch to 4x4 and drive out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reminds me of the time that I saw the Toyota pickup under water off a Lake Michigan slippery boat ramp. That was back in the day when we had the lock out hubs. I'll bet the guy wishes that he would have taken 30 seconds to lock in that front axle.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friend owns a differential shop in Tucson. When he first opened we put Dyneer no spin (detroit lockers) in our GM trucks. We learned that short wheel base and wide tires made for some interesting handling issues. If rear tires were not exactly the same radius you would have a push in one direction when accelerating and a pull in the opposite direction when decelerating. His blazer was a real lane changer with his 12.5 x 33s. My suburban had that size tire at first. Then a 75 mph hydroplane adventure had me changing to much narrower tires. While my suburban was not as bad at lane changes as the Blazer, it still had some push pull until I installed the narrower tires. The Dyneer locker has worked flawlessly for over 300,000 miles in two suburbans I owned. Still have the newer 87, I took that 14 bolt full float axle and placed it in a newer suburban!

Now days I would opt for a locker that allowed me to engage when needed. Can't tell you if the longevity is there with the newer designs but the option appeals. It you have a shorter wheelbase vehicle or use monster tires I would recommend you stay away from a full time locker.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Terryk
I am looking at 4runners, and the TRD with the locker rear end is hard to find. If it is available, it usually is a premium model with the sunroof, and I don't want that, or the expense. The SR5 is more common. So I dont crawl rocks for kicks, but I hunt on logging trails. Chains have gotten me home when it gets icy. So I never had them before, should I get them now?

Comments, in no particular order...

1. How about the Trail version, doesn't it come with a locker?

2. If you've done fine without a locker, why bother now? Skill, a shovel, and chains are usually sufficient for many people. Don't underestimate skill. I know dudes who rely on the locker, and carry no shovel or chains. They've got it backwards, and don't know how to drive offroad in the first place.

3. The factory locker is not known for being very strong. Not that you're rock crawling and need a real locker, but it seems like a lot of effort and expense for something that you don't really want.

4. The factory locker will only work in 4-Low, unless you hack the system. Is this what you want?

5. If you need a traction device, you can get an Auburn limited slip diff (LSD) for about $500 uninstalled. This is a cone clutch mechanism and not like the old GM posi (weak). Still, I don't think you need it based on your post. But if you did, you could add it down the road.

6. When it's icy, you probably won't use the locker unless you get stuck in a ditch or drift.

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/10/18.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I bought my Tacoma, I purposefully chose the model without the E-locker. I don't like electronic devices that stop working after a number of years. I installed a Detroit Truetrac. http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-truetrac/index.htm
It's a mechanical limited slip that does not use clutches that wear out. It locks up quickly and smoothly when needed, but doesn't have any of the bad characteristics of a locker.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lockers are new to me. I've been stuck...a time or two. wink I don't enjoy it like I did when I was younger so the Toyota got ARB air lockers recently. Hoping they'll work well in the desert.

LOL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My TRD Taco has the locker and in 250,000 miles I've used it 3-4 times but those times I was glad I had it.

Getting out of steep snowy spots with elk in the back, the locker made it easy.

The factory locker isn't made for driving road speed, just crawling speed but it works well for that.

I checked the sticker on the drivers door, "For use below 5 MPH". The newer generation may have a different rating.

Last edited by colodog; 07/18/18. Reason: add comment

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’m going to suggest something totally crazy here. Especially since the OP hasn’t posted on this thread in a bit.

BUT, in the FJ Cruiser line the locker was built into every single vehicle, 2WD or 4WD alike...the difference was whether or not you had the button.

No, seriously, the hardware was there...the only option was if the button was installed, it was all a part of the wiring loom. Just had to buy a button and plug it in. Instant locker.

I’d suggest checking the 4Runner boards to see if the same situation exists here,

Hunt Africa while you can
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.