Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Along the lines of Sportsdad60's post I too have retirement fast approaching and have been seriously considering how I want to mark the occasion. A new special Shiloh is still on the table but I am thinking that using one of the rifles for what the originals were famous for might be a great way to celebrate and end up with some tasty meat and a nice robe to remember the event. There are many options even hunting the big shaggy beasts in my home state of Florida. To be honest I would prefer to have a hunt in some cold weather so would prefer a western US hunt or even Canada. I don't want to drive up and shoot one in a pen but would prefer an actual hunt as much as that is available today. So where have you guys been and what was it like? What would you do different if you had it to do all over again? Have any of you hunted the Wood Bison in Canada? I assume a trophy bull would be the toughest meat wise but is a female or young bull better eating? Best time to go? Have any of you done a combo hunt with bear or another critter besides the Buffalo?

Last edited by pacecars; 05/09/18.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Maybe Ted Turner will give the 24HCF a group discount on one of his ranches? laugh In all seriousness, I would be interested in the same type hunt, but a $10K excursion to the Yukon for Woods Bison would not be in the mix for me. I've read where some of the bigger properties in Nebraska, the Dakotas and Montana offer "hunts" that are a bit more than a pasture shoot. I'm interested in hearing first hand experiences also.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also interested in info. Thanks

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell Yeah! get her lit men, I'm in! smile

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm a few years out on retirement but have a Shiloh I'd love to get bloody on a big shaggy - I'd be in on a Campfire buff hunt...

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, not much discussion here but a bit more information being exchanged here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...merican-bison-buffalo-hunts#Post12878928

Have read other articles on reservation hunts, sounds like a decent compromise between wild and some ranches?

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do a muskox hunt or something cool.... caribou? Buffalo are big dummys, moose? Maybe?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Judman
Do a muskox hunt or something cool.... caribou? Buffalo are big dummys, moose? Maybe?

Nah.......... Sharps and Bison goes together like peas and carrots!

Been practicing with my Winder at 25 yds. A little high with my 50yd setting though.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member

szihn

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll be after Nilgai and cow Elk this fall and winter with my Sharps rifles, hope to have a freezer filling season. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a couple Shiloh rifles (45/70 & 50/70). Shot a cow and medium sized bull buffalo on a Wy ranch. Not a sporting shoot. But was still fun and interesting.
Kept the meat from the cow. It was excellent.
Have also shot some antelope with a shiloh.
That was challenging.

Last edited by dale06; 06/15/18.

NRA Patron
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've had a hell of a time with my Sharps rifles the last two deer seasons, shot nine deer with my 40-65 and one with my 45-110, plus big Eland and Sable bulls in Africa with my 50-90 Sharps and 750 gr bullets, I hate like hell to admit it, but I'll have a lot more scoped center fire rifles continuing to gather safe dust again this fall and winter. cool

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
You da man Gunner!! Wish I could say the same, but so many lever Winchesters are cryin' for attention (and blood). cry
Now a bison hunt...... I'd almost have to bring out the Sharps!

Charter Member

szihn

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tmitch
You da man Gunner!! Wish I could say the same, but so many lever Winchesters are cryin' for attention (and blood). cry
Now a bison hunt...... I'd almost have to bring out the Sharps!

LOL, Thanks Tmitch, it was genuinely my pleasure, I've got an old 1892 year model '86 in 45-70 that fires a 500 gr flatnosed cast bullet at 1237 fps via 2F Holy Black that would be equally at home hunting buffalo, for all I know it could have already done that very thing, elk, mule deer, bear, antelope, people etc etc............................wish the old guns could talk, I'd grab a bottle of 12 year Glenmorangie, a couple good hand rolled Dominicans, have a seat, close my damn mouth, and listen. smile

Trump Won!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,561
Posts18,453,703
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.