Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by kellory

Steam bend one.

There is a fellow that makes the old style out of blue-gum, I shall see what he has to offer.

Steaming is not as hard as most people seem to think. Make a jig, and make many for sale.

Edit: nearly every wooden sailing ship was built with steamed or soaked planks.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
At one point, in recent times, people became too lazy to fix stuff that breaks. They are even too lazy these days to sharpen a knife, that's why there are knives with replaceable insert blades and automatic knife sharpeners being sold. Have you ever taken a 10 year old string trimmer to the shop where you bought it to be fixed? The labor and parts cost nearly as much as a new trimmer. Folks just buy a new one instead of fixing the old one themselves. These are the times in which we live.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by reivertom
At one point, in recent times, people became too lazy to fix stuff that breaks. They are even too lazy these days to sharpen a knife, that's why there are knives with replaceable insert blades and automatic knife sharpeners being sold. Have you ever taken a 10 year old string trimmer to the shop where you bought it to be fixed? The labor and parts cost nearly as much as a new trimmer. Folks just buy a new one instead of fixing the old one themselves. These are the times in which we live.

My wife wishes that was true, every time she has to move the pile of axe handles I have in the corner of the laundry room.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by reivertom

"String trimmer"...do you mean "whipper-snipper"?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
lucky here, a long running flea market in northern Missouri at Rutledge has a guy that sells good handles for about anything cheap

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It was some time after the TV repairman became obsolete....😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When did shovels become throwaway tools?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This phenomena has been ongoing for several years now
as more civilized people have been opting for cremation.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just bought a new transmission for my tow-behind rototiller. Both sides of the housing were cracked. To buy the housing parts would have cost nearly $600. To buy a complete transmission with new gears, bearings, chain, etc., was $250.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just bought a new transmission for my tow-behind rototiller. Both sides of the housing were cracked. To buy the housing parts would have cost nearly $600. To buy a complete transmission with new gears, bearings, chain, etc., was $250.

Lucky, if it had been made by Toyota you would have had to hock your house for the repair.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
flea markets are a good place for new handles at reasonable prices. sometimes you have to do some trimming but they're good quality ash or somesuch wood usually.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Sharpshooter

[Linked Image]

Always called that a track shovel. What we use to clean the mud out of the tracks on bulldozers in winter so it wouldn't freeze in the sprockets.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pat85
Sharpshooter

[Linked Image]

Always called that a track shovel. What we use to clean the mud out of the tracks on bulldozers in winter so it wouldn't freeze in the sprockets.

Trenching shovel, and not seen around here as most wouldn't dare to touch it in case they had to actually use it.

I try to avoid them as well.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Everybody in this neck of the woods Ive ever known in my brief 62 year stint here, black & white, young and old, always called em a sharpshooter.

Why? I dunno. Gotta be a colloquialism.

Edit!

Jstuart,

That hose faucet just to the left attached to post. 60’ water line I put in with said device last March. Gotta dig my own ditches here. smile

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/09/18.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Everybody in this neck of the woods Ive ever known in my brief 62 year stint here, black & white, young and old, always called em a sharpshooter.

Ditto, well almost, I ain't quite that old.........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Edit!

Jstuart,

That hose faucet just to the left attached to post. 60’ water line I put in with said device last March. Gotta dig my own ditches here. smile

Then you definitely have an appreciation as to why I avoid them.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Edit!

Jstuart,

Then you definitely have an appreciation as to why I avoid them.

Oh yes!!! laugh

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I found an old shovel last month. Kind of a scaled-down longhandled shovel that looks like it was made for kids. Maybe 2/3 scale compared to a normal one. The handle was mostly rotted and was rusted up pretty good. Took a file to the cutting edge and it is made from some good steel. Figgered it was worth saving. Found a handle that would work at the hdwe store for $9.00. Took some re-profiling and sanding the laquer finish off and a few coats of BLO to get 'er in using shape. Handy little bastid......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pat85
Sharpshooter

[Linked Image]

To me, that is a trencher.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I found an old shovel last month. Kind of a scaled-down longhandled shovel that looks like it was made for kids. Maybe 2/3 scale compared to a normal one. The handle was mostly rotted and was rusted up pretty good. Took a file to the cutting edge and it is made from some good steel. Figgered it was worth saving. Found a handle that would work at the hdwe store for $9.00. Took some re-profiling and sanding the laquer finish off and a few coats of BLO to get 'er in using shape. Handy little bastid......

Not only were shovels made with good steel, they were made of thinner steel that lent itself to a lighter and handier tool.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder

WS

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,373
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.