Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Travis,

Not 6x42 FX-3's, but have seen three 6x36's FX-II's fail, one right out of the box, the other two within 100-200 rounds.

Have had several fixed-power SWFA's, and so far the only problem has been one with 1/4 MOA adjustments that actually adjusted around .2 inch at 100 yards.

6X36's are for the poor. Grin...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Have personally seen a couple 6xs with LRDs croak.

I wish the 6x Leupolds with LRDs would always work, as I'm generally happy with a light scope and BDC reticle, but I just haven't found one that will always stay in line.

Combining the two theories - a robust scope that doesn't get dialed, could be a good route...ala Nightforce 2.5-10 with Velocity reticle...especially if they made that scope FFP, or a bit lower magnification version of same.

Have considered that combination several times but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Loved my Conquests with the Rapid Z 600 reticle... Right up until the point one of them failed on me...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The odd NF fails too, but it’s a lot more rare to find a broken NF or SWFA than most other brands.

It's even more rare to find a 6X42 Leupold with a LR reticle that has failed. Which is what I'm driving at.

Travis

I’ve got one in my basement right now. I have personally had multiple Leups fail on me, and have only read about two SWFA fixed scopes that have failed out of hundreds that have been sold to members of the Campfire. I’ve got a pile of SS’s that I’ve dialed thousands of shot corrections into, in all weather conditions, and haven’t yet experienced a failure. Obviously some do fail, but my experience has been that the failure rate is much closer to that of NF than Leupold.

I'm not speaking to Leupold vs. SWFA. In my experience they're both great scopes.

My point is that if things are moving internally, they may be less reliable than an optic that doesn't have things moving internally...

Travis

Roger that. I'm with you there. Any scope that gets mechanically adjusted a bunch has a higher probability of failing than that same scope when nothing gets moved internally.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Super Snipers die the same as any other scope given enough use.

This 6X died around the 4K mark. SWFA is going to warranty it of course.

[Linked Image]

Dave

Dave,
You just need one of them reticle leveler thingy-ma-bob's , line her up and you will be good to go. I think Hi-Vel sells them?

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
irbeautiful,

I already have one of those. I'm holding out for Jeff O's custom cut level thingy. It looks AWESOME.

He's the real deal.

If the real deal was a homo.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep Clark,
You are most wise , JeffO's custom chit is the bomb!

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The odd NF fails too, but it’s a lot more rare to find a broken NF or SWFA than most other brands.

It's even more rare to find a 6X42 Leupold with a LR reticle that has failed. Which is what I'm driving at.

Travis

I’ve got one in my basement right now. I have personally had multiple Leups fail on me, and have only read about two SWFA fixed scopes that have failed out of hundreds that have been sold to members of the Campfire. I’ve got a pile of SS’s that I’ve dialed thousands of shot corrections into, in all weather conditions, and haven’t yet experienced a failure. Obviously some do fail, but my experience has been that the failure rate is much closer to that of NF than Leupold.

I'm not speaking to Leupold vs. SWFA. In my experience they're both great scopes.

My point is that if things are moving internally, they may be less reliable than an optic that doesn't have things moving internally...

Travis

Roger that. I'm with you there. Any scope that gets mechanically adjusted a bunch has a higher probability of failing than that same scope when nothing gets moved internally.

I love shooting at long range and I think the SWFA line is without peer.

But I also think a lot of people lose sight of what is needed in a big game optic and I simply don't believe that turrets, weight, and fine reticles cover all the bases.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by irfubar
Yep Clark,
You are most wise , JeffO's custom chit is the bomb!

He's like, so awesome.

Dave

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

bonus, 14 does pointer ever respond to the substance of the argument or not have an answer and simply attack the messenger when everything else has failed?

I'm going straight to the bonus because it's Friday and my in-laws are visiting again.....

I've enjoyed pointer's posts for a while now, especially regarding his kids and hunting. The substance of his posts are solid. ...concerning attacking the messenger....what exactly were you doing with your post?

And that’s why this fugker is on ignore.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
He's also an authority on Ladder Day Saints. Not to be confused with Latter-Day Saints.

Ask me anything about the Boondock Saints.....

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

bonus, 14 does pointer ever respond to the substance of the argument or not have an answer and simply attack the messenger when everything else has failed?

I'm going straight to the bonus because it's Friday and my in-laws are visiting again.....

I've enjoyed pointer's posts for a while now, especially regarding his kids and hunting. The substance of his posts are solid. ...concerning attacking the messenger....what exactly were you doing with your post?

+1

In person, Pointer is among the nicest, kindest and most personable people
I've never met.
All around good guy.

Slave

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Travis

Travis

Thats why I dont fug around with turrets on a hunting rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave/Travis/Clark,

Any word from SWFA on that scope, in terms of what let loose?

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/20/18.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I have a question for all those concerned by the way.

If the use of variable magnification is indicative of less reliability, wouldn't the use of a BDC reticle and not twisting turrets be inherently more reliable?

I'm no scope designer, but the reticle cell spun and this is independent of turret twisting. Twisting the turrets moves the erector tube, but a rotating reticle indicates that the means to fix the reticle cell failed. Threaded and staked? Or glued in place?

I'm just guessing, and hopefully someone like JB can comment. On the Leupo 6x scopes, he has mentioned that the rear scope ring placed over the reticle cell can cause failures.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm interested if your ambient had anything to do with the failure, on top of the rou8jnd count. If glued, did the round count compromise the fixation method? Add that cold temperature and then you start spinning.

Anyway, good job busting that scope. Only way that we can learn is to break stuff and find the cause.

I'd shoot a message to Chris Farris. He might have some comments.

J

I've also wondered if shooting suppressed causes premature failure. I've read before that cans/brakes can cause a push/pull that is not unlike an air rifle. Don't know if that's valid or not.

Travis

I know this is stale but I wouldn’t doubt what you’re thinking. Years ago my dad popped loose a 3X9 Leupold on a Browning A Bolt with a Boss and sent it in to get fixed. They fixed it but questioned if it wasn’t caused by th Boss. He then ordered the CRS for it to avoid further issues. Only in 280 so no biggie.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,010 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.